“Nice Sized Room, Terrible Service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chelsea Harbour Hotel

The Chelsea Harbour Hotel
Ranked #155 of 1,089 Hotels in London
UK
“Nice Sized Room, Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We must say that, for London, the size of the suites were quite large, however don't go for harbour view coz whilst the boats are really nice to look at, BUT don't look down from the balcony .... because the terrace below has old discarded cigarette butts and weeds all over it, the hotel is also stuck right out of the way at the wrong end of Kings Road, the really nice bars and restaurants around Sloane Square and that end of Kings Road are really out of walking distance because Kings Road must be at least 2-3 miles long! The mini bar also charged £5 for a small packet of biscuits, hence we went hungry until we went out for dinner! Our stay was also overshadowed by the appalling service we received, the water was turned off without any warning, the telephone was disconnected due to engineering works again without warning, the valet parking and concierge was a shambles and we had to wait nearly an hour for our luggage, overall, not what you would expect for a five star establishment, its really bad value for money and I can think of much nicer establishments for the same price or less. We WILL NOT be staying there again.

• Liked — The Size Of The Room Is Larger Than Average For London
  • Disliked — Where Do You Want Me To Start?????
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flossy43
Wyndham_Grand_London, Front Office Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2008
I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay at the Wyndham Grand London. We value customer feedback and we have a dedicated Guest Relations team to address any issues that arise during your stay. Our Marina View Suites offer fabulous views across Chelsea Harbour, and from the River View Suites you can see all the way across the city to Docklands. The roof above the restaurant is regularly cleaned and following your comments our gardener has ensured that the roof is once again spotless. Our waterside location is very popular with guests wanting to escape the noise of the West End. We are just minutes from the King’s Road, which boasts a wide variety of shops that stretch the entire length of this fashionable shopping district. We offer a complimentary shuttle service at weekends that chauffeurs guests straight to the shops in Chelsea.
I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the service and technical difficulties you experienced during your stay, I can assure you that the service you described represents a considerable deviation from our usual high standard of guest care. Had we been informed of your concerns at the time we would have certainly taken steps to ensure that any issues were resolved. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Grand London in the near future so that we may restore your faith in us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Heighington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed here on a Friday and Saturday, I booked using my trip rewards points 45,000 per night and then upgraded to a Marina View Suite on arrival for £40 per night.

The suite was wonderful, spacious bathroom, bedroom, living room and also a nice size balcony.

Lots of attention to detail, his and her basins and toiletries for example. Starbucks coffee in the room with a coffee maker, magazines etc.

We had breakfast served in our room on both mornings, and were able to choose from an extensive menu, the food arrived quickly on both mornings and was cooked to perfection.

The staff were very helpful and the cocktails in the bar are wonderful, but pricey!

We are already planning our next trip as we found it so relaxing

The only draw back is the helicopters and planes that fly over every 10 minutes or so, very annoying when you have the doors to the balcony open. However, it hasn't put me off returning and once the doors are closed you can't hear them.

• Liked — The size of the suite and the view from the balcony
  • Disliked — the helicopters!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

I booked this online through Easyjet and it is by far the best deal on-line for a 5 star hotel in London. Great value for money as it was £285 inclusive of full English breakfast and VAT for a family room. It was not 5 star in the sense of being the Dorchester, but it was great for star spotting during Wimbledon, as John McEnroe and Martina Natrilova were both staying there! We had a few hiccups such as 3 hours to check in (we had to wait in the restaurant as we showed up early and they kept putting more important customers before us to do with Wimbledon) but all that aside, it was great value for money.

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — nothing
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

very clean and friendly service with large room and by london standards reasoably priced.alittle bit far from underground but bus#3 runs regularly to earls court.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — location
1 Thank mmtmd91
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

Booked through Hotels Direct. Actually booked the Park Lane at Green Park, thankfully after reading reviews on trip advisor, they were fully booked and so the company offered me The Wyndham Grand.

Its lovely, a bit out of the way tho. I was travelling with my two children and since the nearest tube station is around 10-15 minute walk and I am not good at navigating my way round tube stations and lines - we took cabs most of the time which was quite expensive but worth the peace of mind that I wasnt going to get lost with a 13 yr old and 7 yr old as my husband usually navigates. A taxi from London City Airport was about £50, and to Marble Arch was about £25, Westminster Pier £20, Oxford St £25.

The hotel is all suite, this impressed the kids, it was good that we had two televsions, no fighting about what was on. I shared the bed with my daughter, a very comfy king size, my son stayed in livingroom on the sofa bed, my only complaint about that was that they did not make the bed back into a sofa during the day.

The mini bar smelled at bit and had a puddle of water in it and was not restocked, also the glasses which had been used were taken away and not replaced.
The bathroom was nice, big enough, shower smelled a bit musty but otherwise was adequately clean. Nice small balcony, separate air con for livingroom and bedroom which was good.
The public areas are nice, the pool is good, we went a couple of times, it was quiet.
Breakfast was good, but if its included in your package, check your bill - they tried to charge me for one day. Room service was also good. Concierge very helpfull and friendly staff throughout hotel.
Even tho its a wee bit out of the way, I would have no hesitation to stay here again.

• Liked — Clean, Comfy and nice view over the marina
  • Disliked — A little bit far out of things if you are on a budget.
1 Thank sconey
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

I cannot deny that this hotel is somewhat fabulous. It is lovely and grand, and maybe a little swanky you could say.

I was extremely disappointed to enter a room that we had booked for 3 people to find not three but two beds. The solution for the front desk staff was to give us a cot... a cot. I cannot believe that with the price tag of the hotel their solution was a cot, I was somewhat disgusted. Very disappointing. Based on this I would not stay there, nor would I recommend others to stay there. I found the front desk staff weary, and blase. When we were checking in there was another lady trying to fight room charges that had been placed on her tab, without her using such services - not a good first impression.

On a positive note. The rooms really were lovely and spacious. The bathroom was a huge and fabulous, with an eye for detail and luxury. I LOVED the products they used in the washroom, sheer heaven. The beds were super comfy and clean - didn't feel hotel like at all. Really crisp linens and lofty duvets. The 'rooms' were also clean, and probably more than I could ask for in terms of luxury.

The concierge staff and the cleaning staff were fantastic and accomodating! They were a pleasure to deal with. They brought up the cot almost immediately and set it up efficiently.

My one other complaint was that in the morning I went down to get a coffee from the 'bar'. The staff member there was less than communicative. Did a million other tasks while making my making my coffee. Gave me the wrong drink. Then set about making it right, but still walked away and chatted with others while making it. So, I sat down to wait for my drink. Then, the waitress brought me my tall/small coffee and it was 5 pounds. 5 pounds because I had decided to sit down while waiting (being pregnant and all) forever... and they charged me the stay in rate. Some of the worst service I have ever encountered.

So, although I ultimately enjoyed my stay because I wasn't the one stuck in a cot, I was generally disappointed with the fact that they put one of us in that situation. The disappointing staff did not make up for the loveliness of the rooms.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank CaminoGirl
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

We got a bargain on booking a room here through laterooms.com. We were celebrating and wanted to spend the night in a plush hotel. The room was great, it was like two interconnecting rooms. One had a large sitting area with a sofa bed, kitchen area, large balcony and a flat screen TV and it's own toilet. The other had a double bed, great big bathroom and a flat screen tv. The view from the balcony was amazing. I would give the room 5/5 as it was huge! There was even a full ice bucket in the brilliant kitchen area.

On the downside, breakfast was not included in the rate. We didn't bother paying for it seperately but went to a cafe instead. We did have a room service dinner in the hotel which was really nice. The food was delicious. The lady who brought the food to us wasn't suitably dressed for a plush hotel though. She was wearing a very short mini skirt and really high stillettos and it made us wonder what her other job might be. Like most of the staff there she was from Eastern Europe. This wouldn't be a problem but the staff we encountered couldn't speak English very well at all. This includes the staff on the front desk.

The other negative point was that we were woken at 8 a.m. by housekeeping wanting to clean our room. She banged loudly on our door 3 times, waking our baby and ruining our lie in. When we called the front desk to complain they said that she was just checking to see if the room was empty. Apparently they dont have a computer system that can tell which rooms are occupied. We found this unprofessional and for that reason we can only rate this hotel 4/5.

• Liked — The room!
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family