“Good- apart from the stench of urine in the first room we were given!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #51 of 1,089 Hotels in London
london
“Good- apart from the stench of urine in the first room we were given!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

We booked a room for two nights at the Jurys Clfiton Ford via a third party at a discount price so perhaps I can't complain too much. First of all, we checked in to our room which was on the small side although that didn't bother me too much as we were only staying for two days. The shower room was too, very cramped. If you are on the larger size you most probably wouldnt fit. On entering the room there was an overwhelming stench of urine which was due to the toilet leaking. How they could not have noticed that was beyond me but the fact that I got the room at a discount price made me think that they perhaps did not care that I had that room? I politely told the reception about the rpoblem but they told me that they could not move me to another room until the maintenance guy was in which was the next day. The following morning I followed up my call and asked for the maintenance guy to come along. He did and they did manage to move us to a much larger suite with a huge bathroom which was lovely.
I cannot comment on the restaurant as I never ate there. The bar served very nice cocktails although part of the bar was out of bounds due to a ceiling leak. Overall, the hotel was nice and staff pleasant. it was just a shame that 50% of my time there was ruined.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gizmo123london
Patrick00, General Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Dear Marylebone Hotel guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay with us at the Marylebone hotel recently.

Whilst I was delighted to read that your overall comments were positive, I was most disappointed to read of the issue in relation to your bathroom and the resolution of this matter. This has been addressed with the team to prevent any future issues and ensure consistent delivery of our high standards and the satisfaction of our Guests.

I do hope you will return back to the Marylebone Hotel in the future and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the Hotel so that we can extend some of the Marylebone's renowned hospitality.

Kind regards

Patrick O'Connell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
sao paulo brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

really enjoyed my stay at the hotel
first of all, location is everything because you are near bond street station, central line in london
besides that oxford street is a 5 minute walk from the hotel
the staff is extremely well trained, very friendly, helped me in my ways
concierge always ready to help you too with your stay around, giving you got tips about the tube and everything
the food is excellent, from the restaurant to the bar, just great
apart from that, what they call `continental breakfast` is more of a buffet
i felt really well treated
the room, however small, is very nice, lcd tv, air, iron, hair dryer, mini bar, coffe , everything you nedd
you can really sleep well there, I stayed for more than a week - this is a busy hotel - and I had no problem at all to sleep
the internet in the room worked just fine
i can keep telling you good stuff but you have to come and see
ah, you have the spa downstairs with gym pool everything
definetely would come back again

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

I stayed here recently for one night, from a Saturday to a Sunday and I made my booking through booking.com which all went very well. They gave me a rate of £113 including VAT but excluding breakfast which I thought was good, judging by the standard of the hotel.

It has an excellent location, minutes from Oxford Street, yet in a relatively quiet street. First impression was that the hotel looked very good and it was nicely decorated in a modern and stylish way. The reception staff were quick and helpful and offered to store our bags as our room wasn't ready (we arrived early). The other option was an upgrade to a better room for only £20, and that room was available immediately so we went for that.
Our room was a Junior Suite and it was great. Not as big as you'd perhaps think with the word 'suite' but ample enough with a nice seating area, good wardrobes, an espresso machine, ironing board, good hairdryer, nice desk, massive flat screen tv and so on. The bathroom was big and the bed was very good. The room looked expensive and was nicely decorated in every way.

I can't really complain about anything in the room but if pushed I'd say that there wasn't really anywhere to hang wet towels in the bathroom, and, when standing in the bath to have a shower the ceiling is very low so a 6 footer plus might have problems!
My sister noticed the elevators a bit during the night so if you are sensitive to noise ask for a room away from them.

The staff were excellent! Very helpful, friendly and accommodating with all our requests. We had breakfast there (but not dinner) and that was also a very good experience. Nice looking restaurant, plenty of choice, great quality food and service with a smile.

For my sister and I this was a lovely stay, in a boutique hotel that delivered on all levels. All in all I would definitely come back, and recommed it highly to anyone!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank 4208
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2009

I liked this hotel - great location within Marylebone Village, near tourist attractions. I have stayed at many hotels in London which I don't have time to review but most top ones - Landmark, Sanderson, Metropolitan, Soho and for the price I would rate Marylebone as excellent value. It has had a refurb and also has a Fitness Centre and pool.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tallulah54
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in December and had a wonderful experience. The hotel is beautiful with a large reception area and several small lounges through the main floor. The hotel restaurant had great food although quite busy in the morning and the hotel bar was packed every night.
I would recommend this hotel for first time travelers to London because of the helpful staff and because it is close to the underground and walking distance from some great restaurants,

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Matcham16
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Just back from a 3 day stay at this hotel, really chuffed with our break. Hotel is ideally located with a large reception area which eases the booking in process.Staff are very attentive and polite.Room were fresh clean and airy and away from the hustle and bustle which allowed us to have a good nights sleep. The gym facilities are excellent again with impressive ,knowlegeable and polite staff who were on call during our sessions. Location can not be beaten and always glad to get back to the hotel after a hard day shopping and sightseeing.However Tony the concierge is really top man, he can hunt you down tickets for a show advise on shopping and transport and has a vast knowledge of the city.He always seems to be around of if not has just gone for a cuppa and will be back in 5 minutes to assist.This guy realyy makes the hotel work smoothly and added to our enjoyment. Noting surer we will be back

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple