“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #59 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Loughborough
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have recently been to the marylebone for a long weekend, although the outside of the building isn't the prettiest in town we found we were more than happy with our stay. The staff on the doors are very helpful, taxis always on hand if needed. There are lots of little areas on the ground floor where you can sit and someone to wait on you or leave you in peace - which ever you prefer. The bar for the hotel is located towards the back, it was a nice place to visit after a night out, loved watching them make cocktails.... or just have a very nice pot of tea!! The rooms are small but very well fitted out and functional. Loved coming in at night and finding a little chocolate and bottle of water - nice touch. We had breakfast in the hotel once and it was lovely, although expensive. We also used the leisure facilities which we good, loved all the details in the changing rooms especially the straighteners......
All in all we had a lovely time and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us, thank you for taking the time to tell others about the Marylebone.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am happy to hear our Concierge and Door team looked after you during your stay. We firmly believe it is our service that will make all the difference and ultimately differentiate us from other Hotels and your positive feedback is therefore incredibly motivating for me and my team.

Thank you for choosing us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Hotel Manager, The Marylebone Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Fukuoka-cho
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We are from Japan. Our first visit to London became fabulous one because of this hotel. It is in a good location ( close to Bond street tube station and Oxford Street) and taxies are always waiting in front. Staff members are very helpful and nice.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing an amazing review! We could not have asked for better feedback, knowing we played such a key role in making your London experience “truly fabulous” is music to my ears.

Great guest experiences always boils down to service and I am therefore delighted that you mentioned the helpfulness of my team and their part in making your stay an amazing one.

It was a wonderful pleasure to have you with us, thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel is nothing special at all. Okay, it ticks all the boxes for facilities and all the staff say all the right words but do they really mean it? I stayed for one night on a bed and breakfast basis as i attended a dinner at the nearby Wallace Collection and wanted somewhere within walking distance. The hotel is in a warren of streets between Oxford St and Baker St and has been given an unattractive modern facelift predominantly using black.

The receptionist welcomed me and gave me all the speel in words learned by rote smiling where the instructions said she should. Everyone on the staff was perfectly courteous from the floor attendants to the breakfast staff. The room was small but comfortable. Breakfast has everything i might expect and so I would normally feel obliged to tick all the boxes. This is a compliant for star hotel and you get what you pay for.

But..there is no life in the place. I didn't get the feeling anyone really meant what they said or cared enough. There was no enthusiasm in the place and the building and its offering inside were not memorable. Would I stay again? No, not even if I had another dinner nearby. I would rather walk further or take a tube or taxi to somewhere with a real welcome and where a hotel really cared. Should you stay there? No. You should take a bit more effort to find somewhere more interesting. This is 'Hotel Average'

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a room next to the service lift
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael W
Dear Guest

Your feedback is incredibly important to me and my team, however disappointing I am grateful that you took the time to write about your experience and allow us to learn.

First off all, I hope you will accept my unreserved apology for failing to deliver the wow factor which is so important in any guests’ stay. We take great pride in the personal, genuine nature of our service and our ability to positively engage and connect with our customers and we clearly failed to do so with your stay. Whilst I can understand your reluctance to return I do hope you will give me an opportunity to at least discuss your experience and would therefore be most appreciative if you would reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com.

I hope to hear from you and please accept my personal apology once again.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I booked Afternoon Tea at the hotel's 108 Pantry and had a mixed experience. I took my mother, sister and niece for a joint birthday/mothers day treat. I have experienced some good afternoon tea's in London previously, so I was interested to see how this would compare. Experience summary is as follows:

The good points:
- Nice hotel decor
- Nice restaurant area
- The food element of the afternoon tea was tasty
- Good location

The bad points:
- When we arrived at the restaurant there was no table made up despite us booking in advance, we had to wait around the table whilst it was 'made up' - this was literally clearing the table and putting down pre-rapped cutlery. It would have been nicer for us to wait in the bar until a table was ready.

- The manager initially visited our table, but then a waiter didn't come over to take any orders for 20 minutes.

- When the waiter came over, I asked him for 2 additional minutes as the final member of our party had only just arrived and needed to look at the drinks menu, but after 10 minutes of waiting for him to return, I had to call him back over rather than him coming to me. All staff were too busy changing/redressing tables.

- We ordered tea (the choice was limited to only 3 x black and 3 x fruit which was a bit disappointing) and that took 10-15 minutes to arrive and the actual food didn't arrive for another 10 minutes after that. It felt like somehow we took them by surprise.

- I was charged for replenishments when I was lead to believe replenishments of food were included - I only realised when the final bill came. Additional sandwiches took 15 minutes or so to arrive, it was far too long and meant people had to move on to their sweet and then go back to savoury.

- We needed cutlery that wasn't provided, I was unable to catch a member of staff's eye for quite a few minutes - staff were around, they were just keeping their head down moving in-between the lower bar and kitchen. I had to walk up to the kitchen and ask for cutlery.

- I asked for the bill and explained we were in a rush for a train, the staff took things at a very leisurely pace so I took the bill to the front desk to pay. I wasn't happy with the service at all, so asked for it to be removed - this caused a big problem, the manager had to be called to 'authorise' the removal of service and decided to disagree with me that I hadn't experienced bad service and that I must be mistaken - this was a first for me, apparently he had forgotten that the customer was always right...

So other than the taste of the food itself, we had a bad experience. This was very disappointing, especially since it was a double family celebration. The manager explained that the service was new, which was very evident - there is plenty of room for improvement. If you want an experience with your afternoon tea, this is not the place unless drastic improvements are made. They may not want this type of business. To give you some context, this is my first ever trip advisor review, but I felt compelled to write it due to my bad experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to our Pantry at 108. Your feedback is incredibly important to me and my team.

I am so sorry to read that you encountered service issues during your visit, we initially had a few teething problems with the new launch but the service you experienced is totally unacceptable and I can only apologize unreservedly. We are so much better than this and I can only hope you will give me the opportunity to restore your faith in us. To this end I would be most grateful if you would reach out to me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com as I am determined to have you return and experience not only the high quality of food but also the high standards of service we pride ourselves upon.

I hope to hear from you soon.

With renewed apologies

Frits Potgieter, Hotel Manager
Chappaqua
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Loved the hotel and staff! Very attentive and helpful. The facilities are lovely and very clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was visible and accommodating every day and throughout the day. The restaurant and bar were really great too! The health club and pool are very usable and friendly staff helpful too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your Marylebone experience.

I am thrilled you had such a positive experience and that we ticked all the right boxes. I am particularly pleased that the attentiveness and helpfulness of my team really impressed, I am incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by passionate, people’s people who genuinely care and enjoy nothing more than being part of our guests’ experiences.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes

Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Staying here now for one night. Got to room and electric card didn't allow electricity to turn on. Took two calls and nearly a half-hour before someone came. Next, air-con has not worked. Just shoots air but no real cooling. Have had to have window open. They sent up go who played with it and then said it was working. It was not. Lucky not hot in London but still stuffy and warm in room. A couple of bed lamps not working either. I generally am generous in my reviews but this time I cannot recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, however disappointing for me and my team we know we can only improve if we take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it as a tool for making the necessary improvements and enhancements to our service and product.

Since your note we have been in contact and have responded in person but I did want to personally apologize again for the problems you experienced whilst in our hospitality. Your experience, however unfortunate, is most certainly not indicative of the high levels of service we strive to achieve and quality of product we maintain and I sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Marylebone and change your perception of our Hotel, I am very confident we can meet and exceed your expectations if you would give us the opportunity to do so.

With renewed apologies

Frankfurt
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Very nice business style hotel in good central location, about 10mins/GBP 10 by cab from Paddington station. Stayed there before and again felt very comfortable. I would certainly return if staying in this area of London.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Great to have you return again, thank you for your continued support!

I am delighted you had another comfortable stay and thrilled you will definitely return again when in our part of town.

Thank you again for your continued support and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards