“Very smart hotel”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #70 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed for one night on Saturday, great hotel in perfect location, with the best door staff that we have ever encountered in London, immensely helpful, very jolly and a bonus to witness, the now rare, cockney accent working in a central London hotel ! Breakfast was included in our rate and was first class in both content, taste and service. The rooms are perfect, our bathroom was very tight, but this is central London, for us, the comfort of the bed was probably the only minor disappointment, but for one night really not a problem.

We did eat in the 108 restaurant with not so much success, my order was served cold (club sandwich) then reheated !?!? However, a member of staff handled the situation professionally so everything was resolved perfectly.

The location of this hotel with inspirational Marylebone High Street just a couple of minutes walk in one direction and major tube stations in the other, you really couldn't ask for more. And to top it all the cocktails are wonderful.

1  Thank stacey09
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Guest

I am thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay with us, thank you for telling others about the Marylebone.

It was a pleasure to read that our staff and in particular our boys on the door was a real highlight for you. They are a great bunch, real characters who love interacting and helping our guests and I know they will be delighted when I share your kind feedback. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the comfort of your bed. It is crucial we get this right so I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to contact me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com, I would like to address this as a priority and need a few more details from you to do just that. Although I am pleased we resolved the club sandwich issue for you please accept my apologies for getting it wrong in the first place. We will always learn from your experiences, both positive and constructive, and I can assure you we take your feedback on board.

Thank you for choosing the Marylebone, I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We've stayed in a number of hotels in London, all disappointing in their own way and we feared that we were destined to never find our 'home from home'. I think we have now. Booking was friendly and efficient. We arrived a little early, but the room was ready quickly. This hotel doesn't think that reducing the number of staff is a good way to save money and as a result, the service is personal and timely. We had a good sized room (possibly better than I had booked) and despite the very small bathroom, it's so well done with a good big shower, that it works perfectly. Proper coffee makers, fruit and water, perfect cleanliness and some little extra touches by the maid service really did make the difference. There's nothing to complain about. We had a lovely stay and we will be back. Thank you!

1  Thank Nem_4

Dear Guest

Thank YOU for choosing the Marylebone and for writing such a wonderful review following your stay.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am delighted you feel you have now found your home away from home. This is the very best feedback we could ever ask for and exactly what we want to achieve for all our guests. I am delighted you will definitely return and hope to have the opportunity to meet you when you are next with us.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to your new “home away from home”!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Only a one night stay. Very friendly and helpful team. The room a little on the cramped side but otherwise a really good stay. Breakfast was good and the room was very quiet for central London with everything I needed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris B

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review and telling others about your Marylebone experience.

I am thrilled you thought our team was helpful and friendly throughout, it is incredibly important for us that all our guests feel truly welcome and at home. I am sorry that you felt your room was less spacious than expected, we do have 7 room categories which vary from 18 to over 80 square meters and practically anything in between so I am confident we have something that would tick both the space and value box for your next stay. Perhaps we could arrange to connect prior to your next visit, I want to ensure we get it absolutely spot on for you and exceed all your future expectations.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We visited the hotel for a birthday trip. The hotel location is fantastic and the staff were fabulous on arrival and throughout our stay. We stayed in a Deluxe Room on the third floor which was filled with everything we required. The room and facilities were brilliant.

We visited and used the spa facilities a number of times and can highly recommend visitors to use them. The layout, changing rooms, showers and supplies were second to none.

We didn't eat at the hotel as we had existing reservations but sat in 108 Bar on a few occasions and the staff were friendly and attentive, top marks and great cocktails.

If you want a lovely hotel in a great location, this is the hotel for you!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank KLeddy

Dear Guest

A belated Happy Birthday! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, “fabulous” is exactly what we like to hear from our guests and I am very grateful that you took the time to write about your experience.

For us it’s about delivering exceptional service experiences that are genuine and warm, your wonderful feedback is therefore incredibly motivating and I am thrilled you thought our people impressed throughout. Thank you so much for personally recommending us to others, word of mouth will always remain the most powerful form of referral and your personal endorsement means the world to me and my team.

I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed here for my birthday weekend and loved everything about this hotel. Fantastic, quiet location near Regent Street, Oxford Street and classy Marylebone High Street, perfect for shopping and eating. Friendly, helpful staff who go the extra mile. Stylish Art Deco decor (nicer than the usual characterless hotel interior). Room service was really quick and the food was yummy. The room was smallish with a bijou (nice way to say tiny) bathroom but well equipped and had a well-stocked mini bar, kettle and a selection of hot drinks. Decent hair dryer (what a relief), towelling robes and slippers - they've thought of everything.
All in all, a lovely place to stay. I can't think of a better place to stay in London.

1  Thank SuzyMH
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Wow, I am thrilled you loved your stay with us, thank you for choosing the Marylebone.

It was such a pleasure to have you with us and I am very happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your time at the Marylebone. I am delighted you will definitely return to us again, your long term support and loyalty is crucial to our success and ultimately what we strive to nurture with all our customers.

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience and I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

From my arrival to my departure date the all personel were superb. Very friendly and proffesional.The maids they new even my name! Everybody was there to help you to find a right answer for your question. They must invest alot for training. The room is alittle bit small nothing to complain, but has everything you need. Bathroom spacious with a very good shower. The bed vey comfortable for a good night sleep. Stayed 5 nights and I did not had any complain. Free WIFI internet, free 2 bottles of water daily, ipad and iphone charger in the room, safe deposit,bathrobes, coffee tea making facilities, 3minutes walk from Oxford street!!!. On your deparure day dont forget to order from them limo transfer to the airport with a luxurious car with a price alot less than a normal taxi cab.
I will be back again and again and for sure I will recomend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the Marylebone and I am thrilled you were so impressed with your stay. I am very happy that our service and the warmth of our team in particular stood out for you, it is our most important focus and we believe that if we can achieve this level of service consistently, we will be able to nurture long term relationships with all our guests.

Thank you for choosing us and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Check in was prompt and efficient, and there was ample offer of help with bags and being shown to my room. The foyer was welcoming and beautifully decorated for Christmas. The overall impression on going to one's room was that a substantial sum had been invested in a recent face lift. The room itself was touted as 'superior' but was still pretty cramped, with no bath. The heating system was antediluvian. A thermostat controlled metal box fan in one corner of the room. This made a noise like a Russian tractor as it cycled on and off. The only way to get some sleep was to turn if off completely. I then awoke at 4am, and despite a cold room found my sheets wringing wet. I thought I had developed a severe fever. Astonishingly (for a hotel charging over £200 per night) there was a rubber mattress protector under my base sheet. If a hotel finds it necessary to put one of these dreadful things on a bed - presumably to protect the mattress from bed-wetters (?) they could at least use an up-market breathable product or put a substantial mattress-topper over it. To be fair to the hotel, a bill adjustment was made for the lost night's sleep, but really!! Many members of my party also lost sleep due to the noisy room heaters and I see that other Tripadvisor reviewers have commented on this. The breakfast service was exemplary. Ditch the rubber and update the room environment management, and this could be a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Once you have chosen/been allocated your room, switch off the heater 'box' and check your ma...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ifoldman
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, we value your feedback and know that we can only improve if we truly listen to what our customers are saying about us.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the Air-conditioning Unit in your room and furthermore found our mattress protector affecting your comfort. I have instructed our Chief Engineer to look into the noise issue immediately, the units should most certainly not be audible to an extent where a guest is disturbed and there is clearly a defect with this particular unit, which we will address as a priority. The mattress protector you referred to consists of 50% polyester and 50% cotton and I can honestly say this is the first time in my tenure at the Marylebone that we have ever had any negative feedback regarding these protectors. Nevertheless, I take your comments on board, a great nights’ sleep is ultimately the very least all our guests would expect and I will personally look into this matter further.

I am pleased you were impressed with our breakfast and service overall, we will learn from your constructive feedback and look at the areas we need to address.

Thank you for choosing the Marylebone.

Best wishes