“Excellent hotel, wonderful for our honeymoon”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #55 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Lansdale, Pennsylvania, United States
“Excellent hotel, wonderful for our honeymoon”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed at the Marylebone Hotel for our honeymoon in August 2013. We wanted a place that was a little away from the hustle and bustle but still close to restaurants and transportation. The Marylebone was wonderful. It's a beautiful place, situated a few blocks from Oxford Street in a quieter neighborhood (if you don't count the kind of hilarious piano bar catty corner from it). When we checked in, they offered us a handicap-access room for the extra space, and they threw in a free bottle of champagne. We realized a few hours later that it wasn't quite what we needed and asked to be relocated. The staff were very helpful in moving us to a regular room, moving the luggage (and the champagne!) while we explored the neighborhood. Our second room, while smaller, was cozy and inviting with dark wood decor. The desk area had outlets for a variety of plug-types and an iPhone doc. The bed was comfy, and the curtains blocked out the morning light (allowing us to accidentally sleep in way too late).

While everyone we met on the staff was helpful, we were particularly impressed by and grateful for the concierge (pretty sure her name was Alex?). We spent part of every day gathering info from her on where to go and how to get there. She got us our hop-on/hop-off bus tickets and pointed us to a number of good restaurants. She was terrific -- really knowledgeable and approachable.

We stopped into the hotel's restaurant late one night for dinner, but the music was blaringly loud and not conducive to a nice meal, so we left before ordering. As a result, we have no opinion on the food. The menu seemed pretty limited and overpriced.

Overall, we loved our stay there. We loved wandering home after a long day to our quiet corner. If we make it to London again, we'll be sure to come back.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room farther from the piano bar corner.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest

A belated congratulations on your wedding, I am thrilled you trusted us with your very special celebration!

I am sorry that you were not totally happy with your initial room allocation but I am pleased that we managed to change this for you and that you settled in comfortably in the end. It was a pleasure to read that you found our team to be helpful and welcoming and I very much appreciate you highlighting Alex on concierge as a stand out employee. She is a brilliant asset to our team, a very knowledgeable concierge and most importantly she genuinely cares about our guests. She is going to be delighted when I share your review with our team, thank you!

I am very happy that you would return to the Marylebone and look forward to welcoming you back, If I can ever assist with future reservations, at the very least for your first anniversary, please do not hesitate to contact me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com!

Hotel Manager, The Marylebone Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have stayed here several times, for business as well as for pleasure, and have been supremely happy with our experience each time. Some of the friendliest staff around, and very knowledgable too - they've saved us more than once when we had emergency purchases to make. Great beds, spacious rooms, and a wonderful breakfast, all in a very convenient location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest

And we love having you stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others about your experience at the Marylebone.

I am thrilled that our staff in particular stood out for you during your stay and delighted that their knowledge, friendliness and “yes I can” attitude to go the extra mile made your stay that little more special. It was a wonderful pleasure to have you with us and I hope to see you return very soon.

We all look forward to welcoming you back!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Marylebone is a great hotel - relaxed atmosphere, tasteful décor, good location, impressive gym, excellent food and best of all is the service; all the staff are absolutely fantastic so helpful, polite and professional - reception, concierge, doorman, cleaners, waiters/waitresses, gym staff even maintenance!!

Dear Guest

A superb review, I am very grateful for your kind and thoughtful words. Thank you for choosing the Marylebone!

To hear that you thought our staff was “absolutely fantastic” throughout is music to my ears and I can assure you my entire team will be so pleased when I share your brilliant feedback.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel - everyone about it was perfect. Decor & amenities are superb, in public areas and in room. Great quality about everything, nothing felt shabby / worn - unlike many London hotels.

Service couldn't be faulted - reception / breakfast / doorman / leisure club / housekeeping. Clearly they do a great job on recruiting the right people. Again...very unusual in London! Breakfast was great choice and quality (that was the only food we ate in the hotel).

I got a terrific last minute weekend rate so I felt I got 5 star everything for 3-4 star prices. It is also so handy for Oxford St, just a few minutes walk - yet the streets around are lovely and quiet meaning you actually get a good nights sleep. Right off Marylebone High St so loads of lovely shops and restaurants around. A real french feel about the place.

Warning about the pool - it is freezing! Room temperature was a bit tricky to get right for some reason.

But this is definitely my preferred hotel when I visit London from now on.

1 Thank Geraldine K
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a simply fantastic review following your recent stay with us!

I am thrilled that you thought our service was faultless and more importantly seamless from the moment you arrived to the moment we had to say good bye. We are committed to recruiting, training and developing people with a real passion for service delivery and it is incredibly encouraging when this philosophy translates so positively in our guests’ feedback.

The best part of your review are knowing that we are now your hotel of choice, your continued loyalty and support is very important to me and my team and I hope we can be a home away from home for you for many years to come.

Thank you again for writing about us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked this hotel as the last minute, because we wanted to be in a quiet neighborhood but near Oxford Street tube stop. Modern hotel about 4 block from shopping, and 2 blocks from the High Street which had dozens of restaurants and great shops. Our room was large, with some mid century modern touches, great amenities, free wifi. For some reason we got an upgrade which was unexpected (even when we said no thanks to the upsell at the desk). Pristine and well cared for hotel in the middle of everything. Well spoken and multilingual staff. We did not use spa or pool. The 108 restaurant and bar was nice. 4 star and well worth it, good value for the money in central London

Room Tip: on the 6 floor, quiet neighborhood,
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

I am delighted you chose us for your last minute London visit! It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your time at the Marylebone.

Marylebone Village is indeed a very special spot in town. The Village has all the charm, quaintness and tranquility of a true English Village yet it also has an abundance of vibrant bars and restaurants, independent little shops and boutiques and to top it off we are located literally 5 minutes walk from Oxford and Bond Street. I am delighted you were impressed with your room furnishings and our hotel in general and very pleased that the service you received from our team was both attentive and professional.

I hope will be your preferred hotel in London going forward and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Winterthur, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We so enjoyed our stay at this lovely, friendly, well located hotel that has such excellent facilities. We had a very quiet night (both nights) unusual for such a central position (only 10 minutes walk from Bond street). Excellent meal and breakfast also next time we will certainly use the swimming pool and gym. Cristina Sanchez at reception really looked after us well. If you need to be in central London this hotel is hard to beat!

• Stayed November 2013
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest

I am thrilled we are your “Favorite London Hotel”! Your continued support is incredibly important to me and my team and we hope to look after you as our loyal, returning guest for many years to come.

It was such a pleasure to have you with us and I am delighted that Christina made you feel welcome and at home. She is a wonderful asset to our team and I know she will be just as thrilled as I am when we share your review and mention.

Thank you for choosing the Marylebone and for taking the time to write about us. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My partner and myself just returned from a three night stay at the Marylebone Hotel. Overall we enjoyed our stay and thought the staff were helpful and friendly. We arrived relatively early and although our room was not yet ready, they managed to get it ready within a couple of hours - although I had asked them to call me when it was available, they didn't.

The positives of this hotel and our stay:
Good location and reasonable price for a central London hotel.
Generally good and friendly service.
A clean, comfortable and quiet room with good facilities - stayed in a Deluxe room.

The negatives:
Didn't seem to be any recognition of my GHA Platinum status. One of the benefits is an upgraded room, which I wasn't offered, even though they had higher category rooms available ( I heard the front desk staff trying to up-sell to a guest who arrived later). Whenever I have previously stayed at GHA hotels, included Kempinski and Omni, I have always been upgraded.
Bathroom, although well equipped, is tiny.
Although they offer a perfunctory turn down service, this does not include delivery of ice and there are no ice machines to get your own. I asked room service for some ice and was charged £4.50 for this! Having stayed at hundreds of hotels around the world, this was a first. I complained about this when I checked out and they said it was their policy to charge for all deliveries to the room, but they did agree to waive the fee.
Room is a bit bland and could do with some art work on the walls.

Overall we liked the hotel but it could be better.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms and above come with a nespresso machine if you like a caffeine hit in the morning - alt...
Dear Guest

I am very appreciative of your feedback, despite obviously being disappointed that we did not manage to deliver the perfect service experience which is ultimately what we strive to achieve consistently for all our guests.

It is very motivating to read that the cleanliness and comfort of your room and our overall service and location worked for you and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay. In the same breath I am genuinely sorry that there were aspects of your stay which did not live up to your expectations, I take your comments seriously and we will look to address these gaps as a priority. We are very proud and committed to be part of the Global Hotel Alliance and I am both embarrassed and sorry that we failed to fully recognize your membership status. May I kindly request that you get in touch with me personally on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com so I can get a few more details of your stay and therefore fully investigate where the breakdown in our communication occurred. I also take your comment on board regarding charging for the delivery of ice, we do have a room service charge in place for dining deliveries but I agree that a charge just for ice is simply not acceptable. We are not in the business of penny pinching and I hope this ethos is clearly reflected through initiatives such as offering complimentary High Speed Internet Access, in room bottled water and various other gestures throughout and I will ensure we address this matter immediately.

I am very grateful for your feedback, we will work to resolve the negatives from your stay and I very much hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can deliver on every level and ultimately not only meet but exceed all your expectations.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to the Marylebone.

Best regards