“Expensive but worth it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 1,089 Hotels in London
glenrothes
“Expensive but worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed only one night as part of a longer holiday having made the error of staying in an budget hotel due to location close to st pancreas on outward journey . The difference in standard was incredible our only regret was that we didn't stay longer . A note to self for future reference , pay the £ 7 taxi fare ( st pancreas ) & don't skimp on the hotel .

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank colamGlenrothes
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Marylebone and for telling others about your stay.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here and do hope that when you are next in town we will be your first choice and that we will have the pleasure of having you with us for much longer!

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

After reading many reviews of this hotel, I contacted Frits Potgieter with some queries regarding rates at the hotel and also concerns about the size of some of the rooms. As I was going to be in London for 5 nights I wanted to be sure I would not be in a small pokey room or have a bathroom that was the size of a closet.
I was offered a special rate for a superior room with an upgrade to a deluxe room & breakfast included in the rate. As my flight was arriving early in the morning & my departing flight was a late one, I arranged to pay 75% of the nightly rate to book the room from the previous day and also have a late check out.
On arrival I found the reception staff to be extremely friendly and welcoming, Mr Potgieter had asked to be notified when I arrived and he came to reception to welcome me personally to the hotel. I was told that my upgraded room had been upgraded to a Studio Suite. I was disappointed that the room had a queen bed as opposed to the King I was expecting in the deluxe room; but the receptionist said to me........I'm sure you will be happy with the room. The room was on the top floor (734) and I have never had better accommodation in London. The room was extremely large, beautifully furnished, with a truly magnificent bathroom. There was a bottle of wine, truffles, fruit and chocolates on the table courtesy of the hotel. The view from the room was lovely.
The bathroom amenities were exceptional & there was always a good supply of towels provided.To nitpick,there was no place to hang a hand towel once used and I needed to plan how to move in the shower when washing as it was very small. The rain shower attachment, luxury of a bath and marble like tiles more than made up for these small inconveniences.
The evening turndown included mint chocolates & 2 bottles of water - 1 still & 1 sparkling. The bathroom was always freshened/cleaned as part of the turndown service as well. Additionally there would be a pastry or dessert left on the table - but having been spoilt during the week, I was disappointed when these treats weren't there over the weekend. The room was prefectly cleaned by housekeeping daily and they managed to do so at times that were convenient to my schedule without the need to specifically ask for the room to be done.
Breakfast in the 108 restaurant was mixed. The buffet was exactly the same every day with no variation whatsoever apart from the 'juice of the day' which I really appreciated. I often mix fruit juices and it was pleasing to see that the hotel was creative in doing this as well. The portions of the cooked breakfast were quite small, specially the waffle. The service however was exceptional & the manager/ess would always remember guests names when they left the restaurant which is a lovely touch I haven't seen elsewhere. I have to mention that on one day I left a container of Stevia sweeteners on the table. When I went down for breakfast the next day and mentioned it to the waiter, he confirmed that they had found it and said he would bring it to me. After searching for 10-15 minutes however he returned and said it had been lost or thrown out as it was nowhere to be found. I was very disappointed to hear that. A few minutes later he appeared and asked me to write down the name of the sweeteners and they would go and buy me a new container. In amazement I wrote down the details - I certainly hadn't expected that offer to be made. Happily though, a short time afterwards, he appeared with MY container which had been moved to lost property. A special commendation therefore goes to Gavin for going to such lengths to assist.
Both the concierge & reception staff were extremely helpful when asked for information, the doormen were always friendly, down to comments about the shows I was going to and I think the winning formula here is that you are staying in understated luxury, with impeccable service, yet you really feel like the hotel is an extension of your home. What more could you want? The location is perfect- easy walk to Oxford Street, Regent Street and all the facilities and transport options available from those areas. There were always taxis available outside the hotel for the times when I chose not to walk. The high street shops are also minutes away as are a number of wonderful cafes and restaurants. In particular I enjoyed The Golden Hind (see separate review). On departure the bill was accurate and check out was swift.
I will definitely return to The Marylebone on my next visit to London, which i'm hoping will be in the next 6 months.It's an absolute no-brainer. Kudos to Frits Potgieter & his entire team.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bluewhite
Dear Guest

I am absolutely blown away by your very thoughtful and simply wonderful review. Thank you so much for putting pen to paper and describing your experience so vividly.

It was such a pleasure to meet you, particularly as we corresponded prior to your arrival. I absolutely love meeting our guests in person, it gives me an opportunity to get to know our guests, understand what is really important for them and I think this is crucial to deliver personalized service experiences that are genuine and real. From a service perspective I am so happy that you commented on the “home away from home” feel and the fact that we can achieve this level of comfort and familiarity and still exude elegance, opulence and luxury. The warmth of our service is down to the fact that I am surrounded by a caring, passionate team of people who quite simply love what they do. Our team sees every guest interaction as an opportunity to connect with our customers that will not only make our guests feel valued and welcome but will also hopefully culminate in long term future relationships.

Your feedback is very important to me for our learning processes and I take your comments on board regarding our breakfast options on offer. Whilst it is crucial that our offering consistently meets the very highest standards of presentation and quality, I recognize that for guests staying longer we may need to look at creating more daily variation and I will certainly be challenging our very gifted kitchen brigade on this matter. I will also look at breakfast portioning, we would never want our guests to feel disappointed in any way and I can assure you we will address this as a priority.

Thank you for highlighting Gavin as a stand out employee, he is a wonderful young man and as you can attest will always go the extra mile to make our guests happy. He is going to be thrilled with your comments.

To hear you plan on returning is simply wonderful, I personally look forward to welcoming you back and please let me know if you want to discuss your next trip with me in person.

Deputy General Manager
Suffolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked this hotel for 9 nights direct through their website for a stay in May. I booked a 'Junior Suite' and found that what constitutes a junior suite can vary quite a great deal.

We tried to initially check in at 1pm on a Friday afternoon. I was advised that our 'booked' room (on a high floor away from lifts) wasn't ready but was offered an alternative that was ready - on the first floor next to the lifts. I said this was not acceptable and would wait until our 'booked room was ready. This turned out to be after 9pm that evening. Slightly grumpy, we were shown to our 'booked' suite - a slightly larger than average sized bedroom with a coffee table and a couple of chairs in it. I told reception that in my opinion, a couple of chairs and a coffee table do not a 'suite' make, but I was too tired and fed up at this stage to do much other than a bit of unpacking and fall asleep. The insomnia kicked in at around 3.30 (as it does from time to time) so I had a lovely few hours in the bathroom until spouse spice woke up, there being no separate sitting area to retire to.

When the phone stopped working (regardless of the extension dialled, the only area of the hotel we could reach was the spa) spouse spice lost patience, unplugged the phone and delivered it to reception. This prompted a young man to visit us in our room, test the phone, tell us it wasn't working properly (duh!) and offer to move us into an even smaller room. At this point I was ready to move out and find another hotel. However, I was fortunate enough to have our 'issues' escalated to the duty manager, who listened to our 'history', understood that moving us to a smaller room really wasn't going to make us happy, and said they would move us to a more suitable room the next day.

They were true to their word; Natalie co-ordinated our move to our third and final room on the Sunday morning, phoning us when the room was ready, and the rest of our stay was just fine.

The rooms are stylish, if somewhat irritatingly 'dysfunctional' - there are a couple of tiny but stylish drawers but you'd be pushed to get more than a handkerchief and a sheet of paper in them, so if you're staying more than a couple of nights in anything less than a suite, don't expect to be able to unpack everything, especially if you're also doing some shopping. Beds are comfortable and with good linens. Towels could be larger, but the toiletries are pretty good quality. I would have been more impressed with housekeeping, had I not found a dead sock under the 'sideboard/storage unit' on our 5th day. Pop down to the Nespresso shop on Regent Street to buy some supplies for your coffee machine (and get a free coffee) if you're staying more than a couple of nights.

The location of the hotel is fabulous, within easy reach of the chi-chi Marylebone village and Bond Street/Oxford Street/St. Christopher's place. Free WiFi in rooms and lobby.

Overall, I was happy despite a wobbly start and would return; door staff are especially friendly and helpful - top marks to them.

Room Tip: 7th floor rooms have mansard roofs and the A/C was pretty ineffective compared to our 4th floor room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marylebone Hotel in early June 2013.
To be honest when booking the hotel what swayed it for me was the amazing reviews that people had given when staying there for a special occasion, birthday, anniversary etc i read lovely reviews of being met in reception with glasses of champagne, chocolates and cards in the rooms and even room upgrades (which is always lovely!)

when booking the hotel the receptionist asked if it was a special occasion to which i informed her that we was staying for our 7th wedding anniversary.......

When we arrived at the hotel we was really impressed with how clean and well decorated the hotel was, the receptionist wished us a happy anniversary and took our bags.

When we was shown to our room which was a superior room we was a little disappointed, the room was very small and so was the bathroom.

We spent most of the day in London and came back just to get ready for our evening out.

When we returned late that evening we was very surprised to realise that our room had been entered as the slippers was on the bed and some water on the bedside table, i'm not saying that this isn't a nice thing for the hotel to do but we was a little annoyed as we was not aware that hotel staff would be going into our room that evening and felt a little privacy invasion.

we booked the leisurely London package, not so leisurely as we was awake by 7am by what we guessed was the service lift and staff being quite noisy! as parents of 2 young children we was really looking forward to our lay in!

Breakfast was fantastic, continental spread laid out in the main part of the breakfast room and a wonderful full english cooked to order really set us up for the day.

When we checked out of the hotel, the receptionist asked if we enjoyed our stay, which for the most of it we did but for the price of £249 for 1 night I wouldn't say that it was any better than the Edwardian Radisson just off Oxford Street which offers exactly the same for £99 a night.

As i said at the beginning the reason I was swayed to book a more expensive hotel was the great reviews on here when people had booked for special occasion, so just a friendly note to the hotel when people can read on trip advisor that other couples have stayed for their wedding anniversary and had such amazing treatment such as being met at reception with Champagne and chocolates and wine in the room, even rose petals on the bed as a sweet gesture then really this really should be the same for others celebrating their anniversary.

Will we be returning? Maybe not.

Room Tip: rooms are very small!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mrs Miller M
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback, which we take very seriously in our efforts to continually improve our service and facilities.

Whilst I am pleased that you found our accommodations to be clean, the décor impressive and that you felt welcomed on arrival, I am obviously disappointed that we failed to make your stay more memorable, particularly as you were celebrating your anniversary. I absolutely agree with you, if and when we know you are celebrating a special occasion we should react and we normally do, as you can attest from the many great comments we receive on TripAdvisor, although we clearly failed to do so on this occasion. I am genuinely sorry and can only think that this was due to poor internal communication on our side. As a team we will sit down and learn from your experience, understand where the gap appeared in our service delivery and ensure we close it. We want to ensure each and every one of our guests has a wonderful time with us, not just a “nice” time and whilst we make mistakes and get it wrong from time to time we are determined to learn and ultimately create consistently brilliant guest experiences. Please accept my apologies again for failing to exceed your expectations.

I am sorry if you found our turndown service to be intrusive, we normally do place complimentary amenities such as chocolates and water in our guest bedrooms and turn the room down to make it comfortable for our guests when they return but perhaps we can clarify this on arrival. As for the noise disturbance I will certainly look into it, as with all hotels we have service lifts but our team simply has to be conscientious, waking guests is unacceptable and I can assure you we will address this as a matter of urgency.

I’d like to think that we can do much better and would welcome the opportunity to sway a “maybe returning” to a “definite will come back” and would therefore be most appreciative if you would get into contact with me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com. Your future support is incredibly important to me and I hope to hear from you.

With kind regards

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having lived in Marylebone for several years, I love to come back to the neighborhood and stay here. Overall this an excellent property, super location, and good value as far as London hotels go. This place does just about everything well. The doormen (Karoly and Rosty in particular - sorry for the misspellings!) are amongst the best in London. The gym and pool are superb! The bar and restaurant very good (it has improved over time and the difference is noticeable). I stayed in a Jr. Suite and it was of a comfortable size with good bathroom. Toiletries (Aromatherapy products) and bed linens are great. Housekeeping service and timeliness was fantastic!

Just a couple of suggestions for improvement: replace those purple velvet swivel chairs in the room. The velvet is wearing down and they just look cheap/tacky. What a difference new chairs would make – maybe cream leather like the bench at the foot of the bed. Also, I stayed for 6 nights this time, and the continental breakfast buffet never changed once (not even 1 item on it) the entire week. Everything was of high quality, but you need to add some occasional variation to the offerings there. Also, please encourage the breakfast service staff to relax a little and not be so mechanical. They are a great team, but seem to be reading from a memorized script - from the initial greeting to departure. The breakfast restaurant manager (Spanish I believe) may be running just a little too tight of an operation. For example, I saw him telling a server (in plain view of customers) how to more properly tie his necktie and button up the top of this shirt. Ease up on your team just a little and let their wonderful, hardworking personalities shine through a more.

As I said, these are just a few suggestions for improvement during an otherwise excellent stay. The Marylebone Hotel remains my hotel and location of choice in London. It was nice to be back in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite if your budget allows. The lower category rooms can be very small.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am thrilled to have you as one of our many great supporters, your continued loyal custom is incredibly important to me and we are all very grateful to have you as one of our regular guests.

Both Karoly and Rasti will be very happy when I share your comments, they really do exemplify our service ethos of genuine hospitality and are brilliant with our guests because they really care. Thank you for mentioning them in particular.

I fully take your comments on board, whilst we have a very good breakfast selection we should always look to add variety and change, particularly for guests such as yourself who stay with us so often and it is something we can definitely work on. In terms of our team I absolutely agree, whilst it is important to have a strong structure and standards in place to ensure consistency in service delivery it is just as important to get the balance right between total professionalism and warmth of interaction.

Thank you so much for staying with us, for giving me your valuable feedback and for your support over the years. I sincerely hope to meet you when you are next at the Marylebone so please be so kind as to ask for me when you next arrive.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

It was our second stay at this great hotel, we had such an enjoyable and pleasant stay due to the staff being so extremely helpful and friendly . I feel I have to make special mention of Mark Heyburn and the Rahim Ismail for their exceptional service. The room was very comfortable and spotless and extremely quiet. I look forward to our next visit

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joan k
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing about us following your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to read that this was your second visit, thank you for your continued support; we value your loyalty and hope to be your hotel of choice for many years to come. Both Mark and Rahim are exceptional individuals and I am both grateful and proud to have them in our team. They genuinely care about our guests and I think this is probably the most important aspect of what brilliant service should encompass. I will be sharing your comments with them and can assure you they will be thrilled!

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon, please ask for me when you next arrive as I would very much like to meet you both when you return.

Warm regards

London, England, United Kingdom

"Absolutely Amazing"

I booked a private room and afternoon tea for my birthday party at the Marylebone Hotel, the food and service was fantastic, both waitresses were so polite, helpful and friendly. The management team were brilliant.

All my guests loved the venue, it is stunning inside and in a perfect central location.

I couldn't have asked for anything better!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

A belated Happy Birthday! Thank you for trusting us with your very special day.

I am delighted it all went to plan and that you had such a nice time with us. We firmly believe it’s all about offering a genuine and personalized service that is always friendly but never stuffy and when we see comments such as yours it serves as a wonderful motivator for us all here.

Thank you for telling others about us and we hope to have you back for Tea very soon!