“New hotel of choice”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #70 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed only one night on a layover this month but if that one night is any indication of how the Marylebone is run, I would go back without hesitation. The staff are extraordinarily attentive and courteous. The room, while boutique-hotel sized, was quite comfortable and nicely furnished and -- a real plus -- extremely quiet (but admittedly it was the last room on the hall, which helped). The public spaces are elegantly understated (the furniture appears to be George Smith),. If the hotel lacks the overall character of its four- and five-star cousins, what it lacks in character is more than made up by the astonishing care taken by the staff -- from the doormen to the front desk to the restaurant and bar. The level of service felt far more gracious than nearly every other hotel I've experienced in London, including several with far higher prices. (There was a knock at the door ten minutes after I arrived in the room just to check if everything was okay; now that's something I'd call unusual.) The Marylebone certainly isn't inexpensive. But it more than delivers on its promises for rates that aren't outrageous by London standards. This one-night stay was so pleasant that I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: A room far from the elevators is a good idea if available, and 3rd floor or higher if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AlexDavidson
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay, it was a pleasure to have you with us.

I am so pleased to read your review, it is incredibly motivating when our commitment and drive to delivering unparalleled personalised service experiences are so positively reflected in our guests’ comments. I am very privileged to be surrounded by a very passionate team of people who genuinely care about our guests and simply love what they do. Thank you so much for your wonderful words which I know will be hugely appreciated when I share it with our team.

It is simply brilliant that we are now your hotel of choice, your continued support is very important to me and the team and we promise to do our very best to make every future stay even better than the last. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I hope to meet you when you return.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Nice clean Hotel would stay there again but with a few changes. Our room was so so small, they called it a superior room; don't let names fool you it was anything but!!! If you opened the bathroom door it just cleared the toilet, as an example. The A/C was also very noisy; we had to turn it off at night, luckily the nights where cool so we could open a window. My advice is before you book a room ring them up and tell them what you are looking for and what you won't put up with and let them choose a room to meet your requirements. Booking on line is ok but a bit of a lottery if you are picky about the room you want. We only had breakfast in the Hotel, couldn’t ask for better, food was cooked well, loads of choice so would recommend it. Best of all was location, for central London the parks and all it was great, so as a base to explore you wont go wrong with this hotel.

Room Tip: My advice is before you book a room ring them up and tell them what you are looking for and what you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew F
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Marylebone. We are always looking to improve our service and product and can only do so effectively if we take our guests’ comments seriously.

I am sorry that you thought your room was not spacious enough, we do have a number of different room categories ranging from 19 to 80 square meters so I am 100% confidant we have a room that will tick both the space and budget box for all our customers. We will always do our very best to accommodate all our guests’ requests and requirement needs, we understand that no 2 customers are the same and everyone has individual needs and preferences. I am pleased that you enjoyed our location in Marylebone village, it is such a quant little village right in the centre of town and the proximity to Oxford and Bond Street is a real advantage for all our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope to welcome you back to the Marylebone in the very near future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Really nice staff, good prestations for my 5 days in London, very good location next to Oxford street, breakfast is awesome, good food, my room was very confortable but a bit small, swiming pool avalaible, hotel is quiet, the area is safe!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Antoineduke

Dear Guest

A pleasure to read you enjoyed your time with us, thank you so much for choosing the Marylebone.

It seems our location, service and accommodation ticked most of the right boxes for you so I am delighted your overall stay was comfortable. The area is indeed very safe, Marylebone Village is quite unique in the sense that it has all the qualities, including safety, of a wonderfully quant English Village but also the close proximity to the centre of Town, literally only 5 minutes walk from Oxford and Bond Street.

Thank you for writing about us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Close to Oxford street and all deparmental stores. Tubes servicing all sites wanting to see. Stones throw from Hyde park for a great walk! breakfast great with good variety and reasonable. Staff friendly and very helpful at all times. Clean and a great area to sit and read downstairs or have drinks with friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah D

Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read you had an “awesome stay”, thank you for choosing the Marylebone.

Great to hear you found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout, this is absolute essential to creating brilliant guest experiences in our view and it is always very motivating when our guests respond so positively.

Thank you for taking the time to write about us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Best wishes

Reviewed May 18, 2013

A great location within easy reach of the main sights and theatre land. The hotel is comfortable and modern but lacks character. The service we received was pretty average with the room unavailable for 15 minutes despite a 4.30pm arrival.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am very appreciative of your review; we take our guest feedback seriously and view it as one of our most important tools to improve our service and facilities.

Whilst I am pleased to read you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed our location, I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations service wise. I am very sorry that you had to wait for your room, it is very unusual for our rooms not to be ready at that time and I can only surmise we must have had a particularly late departure from the previous guest. I am disappointed that you thought our overall service was average, we are very passionate about delivering exceptional levels of personalised service and I am very keen to understand what we could have done better, or failed to do, to achieve our goal. I would therefore be incredibly grateful if you would contact me personally on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com so we can discuss your stay in greater detail to help me understand where we can improve.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We would normally choose a smaller hotel but have stayed at the Marylebone Hotel several times because of its great location and it doesnt feel like a large hotel, the staff are great and many remember your name. The gym is amazing, not a hotel gym but a proper gym within the hotel building.The restaurant has wonderful Ginger Pig steaks too!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flyingredshoes
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience.

I am so pleased you have made us your hotel of choice and have now stayed several times. Thank you for your continued support.

I loved the fact that you mentioned staff members remembering your name, this is a very good reflection of what we try to achieve as a team and as you mentioned we want to create a small boutique style feel despite our size. We certainly support our local producers of which Ginger Pig is a great example. What better way to celebrate all that is British than to use a local butcher that is passionate about sourcing the very best from North Yorkshire in England, simply brilliant!

Thank you for choosing the Marylebone and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have lived in London for a well over 10 years and typically stay at the Berkeley. Not any more. The Marylebone Hotel is without question the best combination of service, style, price and location to be found in central London. The staff is incredibly helpful straight across the board. So many nice people. Thank you Gunther et al. Extremely well located within waking distance of Oxford Street. Lot of resraurants, shops and conveniences in this area and a great starting point for just about any London destination. All of this for a fraction of the price that it will cost to stay at the Connaught, the Berkeley and other 5 Star hotels. Terrific hotel that deserves all the accolades.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Iamzediam

Dear Guest

Wow, I am absolutely thrilled to read that you were not only pleasantly surprised with your stay but that we have managed to persuade you away from an icon such as the Berkeley.

It is incredibly pleasing, not to mention motivating, to know that every aspect of your stay, from the service to our location exceeded you expectations and all our staff, particularly Gunther, will be over the moon when I share your wonderful feedback. We have always believed that to truly differentiate ourselves against the rest we have to be so much better at looking after our guests and have instilled a service ethos in our team that reflects this ambition through and through. Thank you for mentioning Gunther in particular, I know he will greatly appreciate the note.

It was such a pleasure to have you with us and I hope we will now be your new “home away from home” when in London. Please let me know if we can ever assist in any way and I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Wishes