“We'll be back!”
Review of The Marylebone

The Marylebone
Ranked #69 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very well situated in a quiet street just a very few hundred meters from the West End's shopping turmoil the hotel may not be an architectural landmark but once you step inside....just look at their website:what you see there is what you actually get!The staff were welcoming and smiling after already having helped us over the phone with a reservation issue due to a cancelled flight.Our room (147), although superior, was rather compact and didn't have what you call "a view" but it didn't lack any of the amenities you might expect.Now, if you need space you may want to upgrade.Express,Continental or full English breakfast: lots of choice and good quality well worth the price.The Health Club,Pool and Spa is far beyond what you can find on most hotel premises, take our fitness enthusiasts' word for it.Throw in free fast WIFI throughout the hotel,complimentary mineral water in the room,a choice of free newspapers at breakfast,fine toiletries and more towels and bathrobes than there are hooks and hangers and you get a perfect place to stay.We are returning customers and will be!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Guest

First of all I need to thank you for returning to the Marylebone, we are incredibly grateful and appreciative of your continued support and hope that each time you stay is as good, if not better than the last stay.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the friendly smiles and welcome from our team again, they genuinely enjoy what they do and being part of our guest experiences. They will be delighted when I pass on your kind comments. I am also pleased that the in room amenities were to your liking and that you enjoyed the breakfast options on offer. We do not want to penny pinch and will therefore do our very best to always offer great value ad’s such as the complimentary Wi-Fi and newspapers, your positive comments confirm that these initiatives are being well reserved with our guests.

It was a pleasure to have with us and I look forward to personally meeting you when you return to the Marylebone.

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,716)

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife treated me to a surprise stay at the Marylebone, after eating at a nearby restaurant. It was a memorable stay - we were immediately upgraded to a superior room. The service was impeccable, my wife had to change clothes for dinner, and found the room all made up again for my arrival! She had mentioned it was a surprise birthday stay, and the Front Office had thoughtfully supplied us with a bottle of bubbly on ice, and a handwritten birthday card. Very nice touch - above the call of duty.

The bar and restaurant on the ground floor is plush and well-stocked, as we know from previous visits. The pool as part of The Third Space was empty when we went for an evening swim, so we had the place all to ourselves.
For the last day, we treated ourselves to a massage in the spa - it was very comfortable and pleasant, and the masseuse asked us if there was anything special that needed doing, and customised the message to our needs. All very good.
The checkout was efficient and unhurried, like the rest of the service.
This is a great hotel to stay in if you want some peace near bustling Oxford Street!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidSLP
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Guest

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your recent surprise stay at the Marylebone, it is always a great pleasure to play a part in our guests’ celebrations and wonderful when we receive such brilliant feedback.

The tiny noticeable touches you mentioned, we call them TNT’s!, are our way of showing our genuine appreciation that you chose us for your stay and we very much appreciate your custom. Our aim is to make your future stays even better than the last and to personalize our service for you so that every detail is bespoke, from the moment you arrive to the moment we say good bye. Your feedback is therefore incredibly important and useful and I wish to thank you for taking the time to write about us.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights at The Marylebone Hotel between Christmas & New Year & thoroughly enjoyed our stay. From the excellent efficient welcome & upgrade to a Deluxe room to the quick & easy checkout - we couldn't fault anything. Even the cost was Very reasonable!
The room was a good size for London with a huge comfortable bed, a nice walk in area to store bags & put out clothes, hair dryer, iron, nespresso coffee machine, large flat screen tv & iPod player. Add to this a lovely bathroom with all the amenities - then we had no complaints.
We also had afternoon tea in one of the many lounges in the hotel - this was excellent (& we've tried many afternoon teas in London) & at £19 per head it was a very good price.
We didn't try the restaurant but the bar was nice & comfortable & the snack we had was nice.
The hotel also has complimentary coffee/snacks at various times of the day in the lobby.
It is very near the main shopping streets but is very quiet & when we come back to London we would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can go for a Deluxe room to get the extra space.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to read your review, thank you for taking the time to write about us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our service, found your room to be comfortable and luxurious and also enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience. We would love for you to try our restaurant when you next return; our Head Chef Russell is a master at using the very best ingredients to create mouthwatering modern British comfort dishes that not only taste sublime but also offers excellent value.

I hope we will now be your home away from home when in London and I would welcome the opportunity to meet you when you next return. Thank you again for your kind and thoughtful feedback and we hope to have you return soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've stayed here on business a few times over the past few months, and every time I am met with genuinely nice staff who do not fake their interest in guests, but genuinely seem to enjoy their job and go out of their way to help you.

The warm welcome and the beautifully decorated rooms and lobby make this hotel feel luxurious and welcoming. Room size can vary. I have stayed in a very small room which involved moving furniture to draw the curtains, however on the whole this is rare.

The only down side is the fact they charge so much for breakfast and the breakfast is so poor value. I prefer a cooked breakfast, however you can pay over £20 for one item. I paid £23 for an omelette that wasn't even tasty. Unlike other hotels where you pay extra for a cooked option, you do not then have the option to choose multiple things from the hot menu. You only get one! The buffet option is poor. I'd advise eating breakfast elsewhere.

Apart from that, this is a great hotel. I just hope it stops raising it's room prices so often.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing about us following your recent stay.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the friendliness and warm welcome from our team, they do love looking after our guests and going the extra mile to make our guests feel at home. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments.

Taking note of your comments regarding our breakfast pricing I am very pleased to inform you that we have reviewed the price and structure of our Breakfast menu, which now means that you could order multiple items when paying for the English breakfast option. The pricing of both Continental and English Breakfasts have also been reduced in our effort to increase value for our guests and on a quality note we have now introduced a number of new items on the Continental Buffett to enhance the experience.

Thank you again for your feedback which is incredibly important in our efforts to exceed your future expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Marylebone.

Best wishes

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Was down in London on business and had a couple of meetings at the hotel so I thought it made sense to stay here. I have stayed plenty of times in the past few years and always enjoyed it. It's a real treat place to stay as I generally find it quite expensive.

The location of the hotel is great. Marylebone High Street is a lovely area to shop in - loads of independent shops/cafes etc plus a few high street chains, but not too many.
I would recommend 'Bonne Bouche' for breakfast if you don't have it in the hotel.
A few minutes walk from the hotel is St Christophers Place, James Street and Oxford Street. The Underground (Bond Street) is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

As I went for the cheapest possible option for a room this time, I was given a standard small double. The room was small and cosy and bed comfortable was good quality bedding. It had a full en-suite, this was small but had all the facilities needed. Everything about this hotel is high quality but it is expensive. The TV in the bedroom was modern but a bit 'fiddly' and awkward to use.

The downstairs lounge and bar areas are lovely with loads of comfy chairs and sofas to relax in. The hotel bar is modern and chic and is ideal to have a drink in before going out in to town.

All the staff that I spoke to were friendly and professional.

I would stay here again happily but only if I've saved up!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you always enjoy coming back to the Marylebone, thank you for posting such a positive review.

It is always a pleasure to have guests return as we very much want to create a genuine “home away from home” experience where all our guests feel truly welcome, relaxed and totally comfortable. I noted your comment regarding the television controls and would welcome the opportunity to delve a little deeper to understand exactly what we can do to improve ease of use. Your feedback is incredibly important in our efforts to enhance our service and facilities and we therefore take it very seriously. Perhaps we could arrange to meet when you next return or if you would be so kind as to e-mail me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com so we can discuss your comments further.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to welcome you back to the Marylebone very soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have used this hotel many times for business and accomodation. This was the first trip I made with my family. At check in Antje had obviously checked through guest arriving that day and had recognised my name and organised an upgrade to a one bedroom suite with an adjoining double room. The accomodation was fantastic, luxurious, private and very spacious. We were also given a fruit bowl later in the day and provided with discount vouchers for the spa at reception. The staff throughout were very helpful and its location is second to none. The leisure centre got well used and from a childrens point of view they could nothave had a better time. The breakfast was excellent on both mornings and on the second day the staff remembered orders from the previous day. Unlike other trips the bar was not well used but while quiet it was very comfortable.
I have stayed at the other two Doyle properties in London previous and they are excellent hotels but definitely the Marylebone suits all our needs, leisure and business. I have recommended it to many colleagues and friends and will continue to do so!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back of the hotel are normally quieter but noise is not a huge issue at the front...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest

May I start by thanking you for your continued support, it is a pleasure to have you return to us and as a team we very much appreciate your loyalty. I hope that every stay is better than the previous one for you and if there is ever anything we can do to make you more comfortable please do not hesitate to let me know.

I am thrilled to read that this time you brought your family and that you had such a positive experience. Antje is one of our absolute stars, she genuinely loves making our guests’ stay extra special and she was so pleased when I shared your review with the team. Thank you for recommending us to others, your personal endorsement is the very best form of referral and greatly appreciated.

I would welcome the opportunity to meet you when you next return, please do ask for me or let me know prior to your arrival. It would be a real pleasure to welcome you back personally.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 7, 2013

A well located hotel in the heart of fashionable Marylebone; where the staff is highly efficient and helpful; and the accommodation spotless, at prices that compare well with prices of London hotels in good locations. I did not partake of food at the hotel so am in no position to comment on that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank frank s
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing about us, following your recent stay at the Marylebone.

I am thrilled to read that you thought the hotel was “immaculate” and that the friendliness and efficiency of our team, the cleanliness of your room and the overall rate ticked all the boxes both in terms of service standards and value. We are totally focused on delivering a discreet yet warm and personal service which represent excellent value at all times, your comments serve as a great motivator and confirmation that we are on the right track.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards