“Price high in comparison to quality”

Thistle Bloomsbury Park
Ranked #436 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Bloomsbury Park on Southampton Row is not a bad hotel - but rooms are quite small, the bathroom is simple and the fact that breakfast is not included in the price, is outrageous. (I paid more than 200 euro per night - weeknights!!) Location is great, staff is very friendly, but all in all, heavily overpriced hotel (I know London is very expensive overall, so I guess they are going with the flow, but still..) Makes you desire for a find in London that gives good quality for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
OpsBloomsburyPark, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Durk H

Thank you for your review. I'm particularly pleased that you mentioned our friendly staff.

Weeknights do tend to be our busiest nights and we're constantly checking our prices against competition. We're all passionate about the product we offer and will always quote you the best available rate if you book with us directly.

There are newer reviews for Thistle Bloomsbury Park

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for business. Good sized room.. Was quite noisy outside. Lots of sirens etc it's around the corner from a hospital which is understandable but had I known how loud it would be I would have packed earplugs. The walls were also very thin so person in the next room could be heard on the phone etc.
Room was comfortable.immaculately clean, bed very comfortable - breakfast was lovely really nice range and quality. Just pack the earplugs!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jenny_A123

Thank you for your review - We're glad that your overall impression was a great one and that you had a good stay

If you're in London again in the future then we're here to help.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights recently on business and had a very comfortable, pleasant stay. The staff were very friendly and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to check into my room at 9am on my arrival day (even though check in wasn't due to be until 2pm), which was really helpful as I didn't need to take my suitcase to my meeting with me.
The lift for my side of the hotel was not working due to refurbishment, but I was only on the 2nd floor so it wasn't a problem and one of the reception staff kindly carried my suitcase up to my room for me.
The room itself was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. The TV was a good size and there was a selection of tea/coffee and biscuits. The bed was also very comfortable and despite the fact that the hotel is on a busy street in London, the room was very quiet. There was a strange air conditioning/machinery noise outside at some points but it didn't bother me. The radiator seemed to work almost instantly, which was good as the weather turned quite cold whilst I was staying. The only slight negative to the room was that there was only one spare plug socket (and that was if you unplugged the desk lamp) because the other was taken up by the TV. It would be helpful to have one next to the bed.
Breakfast was very nice, lots of choice and I was promptly seated every morning.
The only problem I had during the whole stay was that the safe in my room was not working (although not every hotel has an in-room safe anyway so this would have been somewhat of a bonus). The maintenance guy came to look at it very promptly but informed me it may need replacing so it wouldn't be a quick job. However, the reception staff were very helpful and let me keep my valuables in the safe behind the reception.

Overall, I had a very good say and I would highly recommend it.

Dear Lulu123594

Thank you for your detailed review. Having plug sockets next to beds is a great idea and one which we'll consider implementing.

Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This has been the poorest accommodation so far. On the fourth floor with no working elevator, carrying suitcases weighing over 20kg is not my idea of fun. They claim to arrange 'transfers' to the airport, in other places I have stayed there is a clear difference between transfer and cab. They only call for a cab.

Central heating did not work in our room and the lighting is poor. Room service food however quite good.

Staff have limited english comprehension, making communication on the most basic things near impossible.

So glad that the stay here is limited. Certainly not my pick.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mez6281

Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

This is the first time I've ever known the elevator to stop working. Thankfully though it was a temporary issue and was quickly fixed.

All of our staff have a good working standard of English, so I'm genuinely surprised you feel that way. I assure you that they're constantly engaging with English speaking guests and as such become even more articulate every day.

If you did change your mind and wanted to stay with us in the future then make sure to contact us directly.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

On arriving at this hotel on two occasions my room had been cancelled in error by the Business travel booking company. Not only did they find me a room but they gave me an incredibly comfortable room and excellent service.
The food in the hotel is also excellent, although the menu is small, what is served is well presented and well cooked at an incredibly good price.
Staff all very friendly and it really does feel like a family and they all love their jobs.
Thank you. Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Dear Joy G

Thank you for your fantastic review of the Bloomsbury Park hotel. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I found a warm welcome at this hotel, and, despite the ugly scaffolding a few inches from my window, my hopes were high. Unfortunately, I had the worst night's sleep for many a long year. First of all, despite being on a high floor, the room overlooked the main street below, which, on a Saturday night, screamed with noise, shouts, and sirens until late. Things weren't helped by extremely uncomfortable, rubbery pillows. When I finally got off to sleep, I was awakened by other guests coming in at about 2 am, slamming their door and talking loudly. They then continued to talk in very loud voices in the room next to mine. After about half an hour of tossing and turning, I finally rang Reception. They sent someone up, and the noise was slightly less for a couple of minutes. However, it then resumed. I could hear more or less every word. After a further half hour, in desperation, I rang Reception again. Again, they sent someone up, and this time the noise quietened, so that I was finally able to get to sleep at about 3 am. However, I had to get up at about 7 am, and I left the hotel absolutely exhausted. I ought to stress that these thoughtless guests were not the fault of the hotel, and the reception staff did do their best to act on the complaints. However, it points to extremely poor noise insulation in the rooms, if noise can be heard so acutely through the thin wall partitions. The same applies to the street noise: could no further window insulation be provided? The good points of the hotel were that the staff were friendly (with the exception of the breakfast staff, who were very stony-faced), that mineral water was provided, and that the wi-fi service was excellent. However, after this horribly disturbed night, I doubt that I will be able to face staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
OpsBloomsburyPark, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Ridges012

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our friendly and efficient customer service – if you ever need any help or general information when next in London then you’re welcome to give us a call as we're here to help.

It’s very unfortunate that other guests caused an issue for you. We always respond to such disruptions quickly and assure you that it’s an extremely rare occurrence.

We’d love to see you again when you’re next in London, so feel free to call me directly.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst in London on business. Room was small, but very clean and had everything I needed. Complimentary bottles of water a nice touch.....some places would charge for that.

My view was blocked by scaffolding, but I wasn't there for the view so didn't mind.

Only ate breakfast at the hotel, but it was good and the staff were so friendly and lovely....a pleasure to find first thing in the morning!

1  Thank Fran C
OpsBloomsburyPark, Relationship Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Fran C

Thank you for your positive review.

We do all we can to ensure that everyone has a great stay with us so thank your for recognising this. We’re particularly proud of your comments regarding our customer service.

We look forward to seeing you soon.