“short break, big room.”

Ranked #425 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Newport, United Kingdom
“short break, big room.”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at the Bloomsbury Park, whilst on a short break with another couple, the hotel room was a very good size, we had two single beds, ample space to move around, two chairs in the room.
Breakfast was very good, plenty of choice, hot, cold, continental, full english and ample seating.
Reception staff very pleasent, and very helpful, all made for a very pleasurable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
TowerHotelManager, General Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Sue622K,

Thank you for your recent review of Bloomsbury Park. It is always a pleasure to read and share with the team positive reviews. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Glenn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've recently stayed at Bloomsbury Park for a week; got a tiny double room on the 6th floor. At Bloomsbury Park, tiny means tiny. I'm rather tall, 6' 1", and to go from one side of the bed to the other I had to literally bend, as less than three feet separates the bed from the wall and the latter has quite a slope inwards. The bathroom, of course tiny as well, had a bathtub shower combination alongside that sloped wall; to say that taking a shower was a challenge would be an understatement: I couldn't even stand straight while inside the tub, so my showers caught me either in an awkward dangerous bent position, or kneeling. Appropriate for those inclined to pray while showering.
It's a very old building, so insulation is poor; I was more than once woken up by phone calls and/or conversations maintained by guests in the adjacent room. Heating was good, no air conditioning for the summer. My rate didn't include breakfast, so I can't tell about that.
I'd like to remark that management honoured an offer made 6 months before, when there was a problem with a booking I'd made for my daughter, and gave me a rate with a 50% discount. Honesty is not a minor virtue these days. That being said, I wouldn't have stayed otherwise as fares were way high, in themselves and compared to those offered by other higher ranked hotels.
Location wise, great if you need to be close by any of the hospitals in the area, as was my case, or prefer Bloomsbury. A few blocks from Russell Square Tube station and the Brunswick Shopping Centre, lots of restaurants of any kind and cafes around.
All in all, just a place to stay if you get the right deal. Nothing to write home about.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JeyCe
Dear JeyCe,

Thank you for taking the time to review Bloomsbury Park. I was disappointed that you were not totally satisfied during your previous visit with us. We are always looking for ways to improve our product, however being an Edwardian building some rooms do have little quirks - which in most cases adds charachter, it's a shame that we were not able to look after you as best we could have. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future so that we might better demonstrate our commitment to excellent customer service.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed a two-night stay at the Bloomsbury Park. As a US resident, I have come to expect superior customer service and the staff at this hotel did not disappoint. From front desk check in to restaurant staff, everyone we came into contact with was friendly, courteous, knowledgable and highly efficient. Location is perfect for theatre, restaurants, pubs and shopping. Amenities are wonderful, and a wonderful ambience is provided. I will always stay here on my trips to London.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and, although the hotel is on a busy city street, the ro...
Dear Connie,

Thanks so much for your recent review of Bloomsbury Park, a Thistle Associate Hotel. The team and I are delighted that your stay was a good one and that you would recommend us to people thereafter. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed for one night. Room comfortable, tea/coffee facilities, hairdryer, iron & board all in the room everything in working order. Staff friendly & helpful nothing too much trouble. Superb choice of breakfast would highly recommend. Hotel located in easy walking distance of The British Museum, Covent Garden, Picadilly & close to two tube stations to venture further afield. I was lucky enough to have a double room to myself but all the rooms were of similar decor & the extra facilities were standard throughout.

Room Tip: Double room seems to have bath & shower whereas single/twins just a shower.
Dear Jaycomfor,

Thank you for taking the time to review Bloomsbury Park after your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to read positive guest comments after their stay and as ever we will make sure all the team is aware of how satisfied you left us. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Bloomsbury Park Inn for four nights. The room was cozy, comfortable, and quiet, a fine size for one person -- cozier, perhaps, for two. I appreciated the tea kettle and ironing board in the room. The location is fantastic, close to two tube stops and walking distance to many restaurants and cafes. I didn't bother with the hotel breakfast since there were multiple coffee shops serving breakfast on the same block. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Makeittso,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay with us at Bloomsbury Park. I am delighted that your stay with us was a positive one and also one that will see you stay with us again in the future? I have shared your comments with the team as well who are also delighted.

Amsterdam
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed only one night, but with everything in mind needed for a perfect stay, this was an excellent choice.
Not too highly priced, friendly and extremely service minded staff, as well as central located in London (only a few hundred meters from Holborn tubestation and maybe 400 meters from the British Museum) it was all one would need.
We didn't include breakfast in our stay, because we wanted to be free to taste our own way in London, but with only 10 gbp in mind that would have been good as well.
Wifi wasn't free, but when asking what the rates were, the hotel almost offered us immediatr free wifi with compliments of the hotel...!
I forgot my adapter for charging electric equipment etc, unfortunately all adapters were taken (or probably stolen by other guests) the weekend, the reception offered to use the charger from the clerk himself; great example of servicemindedness and personal care for their customers.
Nothing we asked was too much, complicated or took long to provide us with a suitable answer, therefor we highly recommend this hotel, with their great service!

Room Tip: No additional fitness / wellness service included (we didn't wish for it either) Rooms at the b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank v d
Dear VD,

Thank you for your recent review of Bloomsbury Park, a Thistle Associate Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read reviews from guests who have had such a good time. Its great to hear that all aspects of your stay were highly enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,
Milton Keynes
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for just 1 night on Monday as a stop off for the theatre with friends (went to see 'Tommy' at the Prince Edward with the superb Joe McElderry in lead role!) and found the service to be first-rate. The staff could not have been more helpful, particularly on reception. Had a twin room and whilst on the small side, had all the usual amenities expected in a Thistle hotel. My only criticism of the room was the sparsity of power sockets (only 2), meaning that if I wanted to recharge my phone and watch TV, I couldn't do anything else requiring electricity (e.g. kettle or hairdryer) which was a bit of a juggle. For just one night it was ok though and wasn't in the room for all that long apart from to sleep anyway.
Location is really convenient for the theatre/west end. It's not a cheap hotel but offers, in my view, better value for money in the area (if you book a room via one of the special offers, e.g. advanced purchase) than one of the low budget chains.
A HUGE thanks to the staff, particularly Mohammed Asad (Guest Relations Manager) and the housekeeper for finding my wedding ring which I'd lost in the room and panicked about as I had to leave early for work, so could only hunt for so long. Such a relief and am extremely grateful ... thank you so much!!
The staff couldn't do enough to make our stay as pleasant as possible and particularly for that reason I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others or stay there again myself :)
Thanks again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GTHotels, General Manager at Thistle Bloomsbury Park, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Shellemk,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Thistle Bloomsbury Park. We were really pleased that you had such a great time in London. Rest assured I have shared your thoughts with the team who. We hope to welcome you back to London soon.
Best Regards