“Three days in Paddington” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Belvedere

The Belvedere
Ranked #647 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Three days in Paddington”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked into the Belvedere Hotel for three nights early January 2013.
We were allowed to leave our cases in the front lounge on our arrival which was a real help. I have recently had knee replacement surgery, and was having difficulty with our suitcases. The relief manager at the time made no attempt to assist my wife and myself with our bags on our arrival, nor in getting them to our room which took me three long trips up the stairs.. We had specifically asked for a room on the ground or first floor when we booked and were thankfully booked into a room on the first floor, so I didn’t have to haul the bags all the way to the top floor.
I asked which of the local pubs served a nice meal and received the response “I don’t go to pubs!”
Even if you are unable to enter licenced premises hoteliers should attempt to find out something about the restaurants around them
On the plus side the hotel served a great breakfast, but the cook and waitress had the music turned to maximum every morning during our stay. I asked for it to be turned down the 1st morning and then switched the radio off as we entered the dining room each morning of our stay thereafter.
We were assisted with our bags on our departure!
Positives Close to Paddington Station: Good breakfast during our stay!
The Sawyers Arms is a great pub and served us three excellent meals.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room. The lower floors can be noisy with the underground trains, and ru...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a twin room. Was very impressed with the cleanliness of everything, not just our room but all the common areas as well. Proper starched sheets, a proper window that opened, tea and coffee facilities, a hot shower and full English breakfast! All for £29.50 each. The room was very small, the shower was tiny but who goes to London to sit in their room!? We were within easy walking distance of Hyde Park and Oxford Street. The man on reception was really helpful and most polite. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was close to Paddington Station so I would be right beside the Heathrow Express, and in that respect the location was excellent - although as the entire square seems to be hotels, this isn't exactly a unique selling point.

When I got into my room, I was rather disappointed - it was extremely small, and to be perfectly honest it wouldn't have looked out of place in my granny's guest house in the 1980s. The only sockets were at the window, across from the bed, which is no good if you like to have your phone charging beside the bed overnight. Oh, unless you unplug the TV and don't mind whatever is plugged in to be hanging from a socket 5 feet up (although that still doesn't solve the "keep my phone beside me or have it fully-charged for tomorrow?" conundrum).

This proved to be my only option for plugging in my laptop, because the socket under the window has a table/shelf built right underneath it, which gets in the way of the cable. There was little point in having a laptop anyway however, since there was no WiFi - granted, this was my fault for not checking properly before booking (and I certainly wouldn't have booked if I'd realised it), but the days of WiFi being a luxury item are long gone.

The bathroom was small, but at least it was clean, and the shower's water pressure was nice and high - if there's one thing I hate, it's having a shower under something tantamount to a dripping tap. However, even here it's easy to pick faults - there was no floor mat provided, so even drying myself in the shower, I still ended up making the floor wet, not least because there's nowhere convenient to put the towel without reaching across the room (and I was only given one towel - surely two is the bare minimum?) Also, the shower was so close to the sink that the (glass) door only opened about 45 degrees before touching it.

I thought I might get a decent enough sleep, because the bed seemed okay (albeit with just one - rather flat - pillow). However, even this was not to be, because the smoke detector in my room went off in the early hours of the morning. There seemed to be no reason - and it only gave two (very loud) beeps - but that was enough to have me wide awake. As a result, I slept in and missed breakfast, so I can't comment on the quality of the food.

Overall, I'm glad I was only there for a night. Maybe the double rooms are better, but I just feel like this hotel is in dire need of some refurbishment. If it wasn't for the flatscreen TV, I would have said it literally had not been touched in 30 years, although the rickety old stool provided to sit on suggests I'm not far off the mark.

Maybe I expected too much for £75 - although I struggle to see how it is even worth half that. Next time, I'll maybe take the money I would have used for Heathrow Express and use it to get a better hotel instead.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 at all costs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in a single room which was quite cramped. Most of the room was taken up by the single bed and the en suite had no door. The decor was tatty and there were large cracks in the wall. The paintwork was tired, chipped and in places, dirty.
The bed was made with blankets rather than a duvet and there was no bath mat. One towel was supplied and although I brought my own additional towel, the cleaner removed it from my room each night I stayed. I had to ask for a replacement from reception 3 days running.
The room was noisy and too light during the night - the curtains did not block out the light and the noise of the nearby trains was quite loud.
The breakfast was all fried with no choice of fruit, yogurt, bread. No wifi available even as a paid option.
On the plus side the room had a tv and the shower was clean.
Overall I was disappointed with the standards in this hotel. Although it is cheap, the basics are not good enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my sister for one night. Very good value. Comfortable bed and good breakfast. Owner was very polite and helpful. The only negative was the tiny bathroom but shower was nice and hot so not that bad.

• Stayed March 2013
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over for a few nights in August. Staff very helpful& pleasant. Room was clean& cot provided for our daughter. Great location. Close to Oxford st, paddington & edgeware rd (we wanted to be in that area for end of Ramadan& was really close). London is ridiculously expensive, this is a budget tourist type hotel. I've stayed in a few over the years, this was the best value yet& also probably the cleanest. No mould or strange smells!! Bed is a little small, but aside from that no complaints. We would probably stay again when we return to London.

• Stayed August 2012
Jarfalla, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

“Great location, very clean”

Close to Paddington Station, easy to get to hotel during the day and the night. Near to Oxford Street for shopping, Hyde park and other cenral places. The hotel is cleaned every day. The four bed room was specious and bright. The bathroom is big on the opposite to the smaller bedrooms.. English breakfast is served in the morning. The hotel was very warm, considering cold outside that was really great. For a few days stay in London it is definitely recommendable. The only thing that wasnt good was the stairs, especilly the last one to our room on the third floor when we had luggage after our shopping..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends