“Very basic and over priced”
Review of The Belvedere

The Belvedere
Ranked #673 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Having read Tripadvisor reports I booked this hotel for my two night business trip to London. All I can say is that who ever wrote the reviews must have booked into a different hotel. For £70 a night I was very disappointed. I was on the 4th floor with no lift and laundry bags left on the stair case. The bathoom was tiny, the bed was uncomfortable, could hear conversations and TV in room either side of me, no hot water for shower during the afternoon. The breakfast was OK but the full English consisted of only a piece of bacon, one egg, one cheap hotdog sausage, cheap baked beans and toast. I appreciate this is a budget hotel but really not £140 well spent.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank StevePJ35
There are newer reviews for The Belvedere

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This was my second time at the Belvedere and for location and value for money I just don't think it can be beaten. My room was slightly smaller than my first stay but I would still definitely go back again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I received a friendly welcome to the hotel at reception. The staff, and a man who I am guessing is the manager/owner, were all very helpful. The hotel itself could do with a wee lick of paint, but for the price paid I can't really complain! The room I was given is small and below street level (room 1). It was quite cold, with a thin blanket on the bed and disturbed regularly by the underground trains passing. The room was reasonably clean, minus a couple of squashed spiders on the walls, but again, the hotel was very cheap for it's location!
Overall - a fine hotel to stay in for a night or two if you need something cheap, but I would request a room on one of the upper floors!

Room Tip: Anything above ground! Room 1 is tiny and the subway passes regularly.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

In general I found this hotel very simple, but nice. I have booked a single room that was so tiny that it's even hard to call it a "room". However, a "room" was clean and good enough for someone who is going to see the city and not to spend too much time in the hotel. The breakfast is basic, but good enough to start the day. The staff was friendly and helpful, the price was reasonable. The hotel is in a walking distance to Oxford Street (good shopping area) and public transport is just next to the hotel. The area is not the pleasant one and doesn't look safe and, as I was traveling alone, I felt a little unsafe when going to the hotel in the dark (9 pm). In conclusion, if you are looking for a budget hotel I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in a higher floors are more quiet. However, there is no lift so some effort must be maid to ta...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Elena G
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at this property for 2 nights in late September.
The room I was allotted was on the 4th floor - A steep climb up a very narrow staircase, not for the faint hearted!
My room was minuscule, with barely enough space to keep my small suitcase.
The owners should consider removing the desk and keeping a small table instead - Will allow more space in the room
The bathroom was even smaller - A toilet, a sink and a shower stall, all squeezed into a broom closet sized space.
However, the room and bathroom were neat, clean and airy.
The bedding was clean with clean sheets and towels.
The breakfast was more than adequate - Good spread.
Special mention for the staff manning the Front Desk - Mansoor was very friendly and knowledgeable and helpful. It looked like the man never slept - Early in the morning he was there, late at night he was there!
Overall - Though the room was very small it was good value for money.
On a small budget this is worth it specially if you are using the hotel room just to bathe and sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked last minute through trivago for three nights in a standard double room with my girlfriend, as an alternative to a week abroad. The hotel was cheaper than some which were much further away from central London. It is in a great location, in the reasonably upmarket area of Paddington (Underground Zone 1), and just round the corner from the rail/ underground station with plenty of pubs, shops and places to eat nearby.

We arrived at the hotel at 1.45pm (15 minutes before check-in time). They checked us in anyway no problem and the receptionist told me he had given us a free room upgrade. We now had an classy ground floor ensuite room with a large television, nice bathroom, large wardrobe and large fireplace (it just looked nice!). Me and my girlfriend are both 20 and it was a big gesture for us to be treated as adults. The assumption at some hotels is that young people are troublemakers.

The hotel seemed ideal for every type of visitor, there were English families, foreign families and couples. Although the hotel seemed reasonably full judging from the amount of people in the breakfast room there was very little noise despite us being on the ground floor and next to reception. There is a slight noise when the tube goes past underground if you are on the ground floor, but not enough to disturb my sleep at all.

Rooms are cleaned promptly, we left for Oxford Street shortly after breakfast around quarter to ten one morning. When we returned around twelve to drop our bags the beds had been made and new towels provided.

We chose the hotel because there was a breakfast included, but we didn't know it was a full English breakfast. It was an excellent service. The only bad word I can say against the hotel was that towards the end of the time breakfast is served, there is often a queue for a table, however we were warned about this when we checked in and chose to ignore it, and were waiting five minutes maximum just one morning.

Maybe we just got lucky with the room, but we booked this hotel because it was the cheapest we could find close to central London that included breakfast and we didn't expect much We were blown away by the room, the service and the breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joel D
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My family and i stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in august. It was lovely and clean, we arrived 30mins early to find our room ready and waiting for us, so we could get on with our break asap. The man on reception was very nice and very helpfull. Nothing was too much trouble he, gave us a map which was very helpfull and even called a cab for us to take us back to the station at the end of our visit! The room was very clean and a good size, it was a quad and on the ground floor. Breakfast was very good and staff serving were very efficient and polite. We will certainly stay here again in future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family