“Beware of bed bugs”

Ranked #850 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Beware of bed bugs”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just came back from a business trip and stayed in this hotel. Room number 113, if that will be helpful for future users.
I got beaten by bed bugs but until I realized what has happened it was too late to complain (checked out, was on a plane, etc.).

Very small rooms, you pay for internet use, cleanliness was so-so.
On departure I asked the front desk to call a cab and they called a non-meter cab which cost double. They did not inform me in advance.

The only good thing about the hotel is its location, but I don't think it is worth it given the bug problem.

Room Tip: If you decided to stay there, definitely avoid 113 :) But better choose a different hotel (and loc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank T P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I booked this hotel for a couple of reasons, the location as I had 2 days of business meetings and the location to the tubes and West London was ideal. Also, the price was withing my budget for this trip. The other reson when i booke it was it did not say continental, but just breakfast.

On arrive, the lobby was large and clean and the checkin process was efficient. The room and bathroom were compact but ok for a single room (just). The sound insulation was non existant as I was woken up both nights by the person in the next room coughing.
Breakfast - When I checked in I made it clear I had not signed up for a continemtal breakfast and expected a cooked breakfast. The staff were un-helpful and would not consider changing this. I was offered a blank piece of paper to write a complaint and they would hand it to the manager (to be honest, I could not be bothered). Anyway the hotels interpretation of a continental breakfast was oriange juice, cerial, bread roll or croassaint. That was it
I saw families arrive for breakfast and continue to look for such things as cold, meat, fruit, yoguart etc. I was imbarracing to watch.
BTW, I did not see anyone pay the extra for the cooked breakfast which was sitting there under hot lamps.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights before heading north to Edinburgh and while we were excited about staying in a good location next to Hyde Park and within walking distance to several underground stations, we were horribly disappointed with the service.

The hotel was clean, that was not an issue. Our safe was locked upon arrival so we couldn't open it to begin with and the instructions to operate (if it was left open before we arrived as it should have been) it did not match the safe itself. We had to speak with the front desk after which they said the concierge will have to come and look at it. They said that he would be up in 10 minutes...30 minutes later still no concierge, so I called down to ask if he was coming up and they sent him up a few minutes later to resolve the issue.

We had to pay to use the internet, and it wasn't working on the mobile devices (iPod touch and Blackberry Playbook). I asked for help since we had an access code and were doing everything correctly. The employee at the front desk picked up the phone, dialed a number and handed it to me after saying "they're busy right now, just wait and they'll be with you". I stood there like a fool for 15 minutes while on hold with technical support. The employee sat in front of me at his computer doing who knows what. He didn't say a word to me, and I spoke with the tech over the phone who said they gave us a laptop code, not a mobile code. Then he hung up the phone, and I informed the man in front of me. He said "They're not supposed to hang up the phone because we need to cancel the transaction", so he phone him back and I told him I wasn't waiting on hold anymore, and that he could phone my room in 10 minutes when he's off. 30 minutes later, still no call. I phone down to the desk and ask what the problem was and he said "Oh we're just going to refund you the cost of the internet, come down and we'll give you the money".

Rather than maybe offering a complimentary code or apologizing, they just washed their hands of the whole affair. Granted, they did refund the money, but it didn't really help the relationship between customer and business owner. In the end, we had to walk up and down the street to find internet. There is a Barclays bank near Edgeware Road underground station that has free wi-fi all day. We sat outside their window in the rain at 10:00 PM trying to email family to notify them of our safe arrival.

I would never go back to this hotel, and I strongly urge others to avoid it. The staff do not care about anything and appear to be the laziest group of employees ever. This was recommended by a travel agent who helped us with our vacation a bit and I don't know where she got her information on the high recommendations, but we certainly would never recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eric T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and stayed here for 3 nights September 29-October 2, 2013. The hotel is near Hyde Park, Nottinghill and the Queensway /Bayswater tube stops. The hotel is not very well kept but was in a good location so it served our needs. It is near some really good ethnic restaurants and the fact that it was very near Hyde/Kensington Park and Kensington Palace was a plus. The concierge was not very knowledgeable and not very friendly. The bedding had seen better days and is not as fresh as it should be. Of the three hotels we stayed in Europe this hotel was the worst. It just needs major revamping and better customer service training for the staff starting with the concierge, housekeeping and to the folks at the breakfast area. They were not overyly friendly or accomodating. The only nice thing I had to say is that they have a very nice receptionist on night duty. I am afraid she is the only bright spot to recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJS226
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My son, daughter-in-law and I had a triple room booked, Sept 29-Oct 2 2013. After our experience in Paris my son decided to book two rooms instead of one triple. I used the triple with the dingy/dirty rug and he and his wife paid an absorbent amount for a double room. We had a breakfast which included croissants, cereal, oatmeal and various items, which served my purpose. If you wanted a real breakfast it was an additional 5 pounds. There was a bar on the ground floor not far from the front desk, but it seemed as though there wasn't a bar tender available. I had room 132 which is in the front of the hotel, with the windows closed there wasn't any street noise to disturb me. My family started in room 125 which was in the back, over the laundry and the dryer smell was terrible. However, the front desk did accommodate them with a less smelly room.

The hotel is in a good location, near the tube, taxi, buses and Hyde Park, which we enjoyed walking to. There is a convenience/grocery store a short walk away, they have a nice selection of items, ex: bottled water. There was a mother and her two daughters across the street from the hotel begging for money.

All and all .... I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Read my review
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paelaine
brisbane
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had booked accommodation in London for the last part of our trip (4 days) after touring Ireland. There were 3 of us, my sister and one of my friends. After seeing the booked accommodation, we just could not stay (that review I will give later) and went door to door in the area to try and find last minute accommodation (which was virtually nil at an affordable price). We came across the Central Park Hotel as, well frankly, our last attempt for rooms in the area (Bayswater). The hotel is very welcoming in appearance as you enter. The staff went out of their way to help us out and for that I cannot thank them enough. The room was large (we had a triple) and they moved things around to accommodate the 3 of us. The bathroom very tiny but extremely clean. It is a 3 star hotel and the staff tell you this. It is just tired and needs a some revamping and TLC. If you are looking for accommodation across the road from Kensington & Hyde Park's, right around the corner from buses and trains then may I recommend this hotel. It is not the Hilton, but well worth a stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing the street. There are backpackers across the road that like to party a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

First off, the good things about this hotel:
- walking distance to Hyde Park, Notting Hill, and very close to a tube stop
- relatively cheap by London standards (though apparently with good reason)
- ...

...unfortunately, that's about all I can think of and the bad certainly outweighs the good at this hotel. Upon checking in, first impressions are quite good, with the outside and lobby kept in good condition. Upon entering the room, this is where things fall apart.The rooms are not cleaned properly, carpets are dirty and as many other people have mentioned are in dire need of a renovation.

However, all of this is nothing in comparison to the customer service. I had an unfortunate incident where I badly cut my toe on a sharp piece of metal protruding from the corner of the bathtub. After initially going downstairs to the concierge with my toe wrapped in toilet paper, I was abruptly informed that he had no plasters available but there was a hospital with an emergency department not too far away. Having lost half a day of my vacation sitting around in a hospital, I returned to the hotel and informed the staff of what had happened. To cut a long story short, I was offered a single breakfast voucher for my troubles and none of the staff even acknowledged that anything had happened for my remaining 6 days there.

Finally, a few days before leaving I had the pleasure of finding some of my items had been 'removed' by the housekeeping. It appears that this is not an isolated incident at this hotel, who perhaps need to look at their staff a bit more closely. Again, this incident was handled with shocking customer service. All staff at the front desk could tell me was to lodge a complaint by email with management, which I promptly did. After no reply I sent another email and was told that the first email must have ended up in their junk folder but they would investigate the matter further. Again I had to follow up only this time to be told the reply must have been stuck in the draft folder, but that there was nothing they could do, they take no responsibility for any items left in the room and that I should have kept everything in the safe. Exactly how they expected me to pack my entire suitcase contents into the small safe, they were unable to explain.

I am currently still waiting for a further reply about the stolen items, however I am not holding my breath. I have certainly learned my lesson and will never be staying with this hotel in future trips to London. I cannot recommend strongly enough to avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple