“Cheap Hotel”

Ranked #851 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cheap Hotel”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and stayed here for 3 nights September 29-October 2, 2013. The hotel is near Hyde Park, Nottinghill and the Queensway /Bayswater tube stops. The hotel is not very well kept but was in a good location so it served our needs. It is near some really good ethnic restaurants and the fact that it was very near Hyde/Kensington Park and Kensington Palace was a plus. The concierge was not very knowledgeable and not very friendly. The bedding had seen better days and is not as fresh as it should be. Of the three hotels we stayed in Europe this hotel was the worst. It just needs major revamping and better customer service training for the staff starting with the concierge, housekeeping and to the folks at the breakfast area. They were not overyly friendly or accomodating. The only nice thing I had to say is that they have a very nice receptionist on night duty. I am afraid she is the only bright spot to recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJS226

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My son, daughter-in-law and I had a triple room booked, Sept 29-Oct 2 2013. After our experience in Paris my son decided to book two rooms instead of one triple. I used the triple with the dingy/dirty rug and he and his wife paid an absorbent amount for a double room. We had a breakfast which included croissants, cereal, oatmeal and various items, which served my purpose. If you wanted a real breakfast it was an additional 5 pounds. There was a bar on the ground floor not far from the front desk, but it seemed as though there wasn't a bar tender available. I had room 132 which is in the front of the hotel, with the windows closed there wasn't any street noise to disturb me. My family started in room 125 which was in the back, over the laundry and the dryer smell was terrible. However, the front desk did accommodate them with a less smelly room.

The hotel is in a good location, near the tube, taxi, buses and Hyde Park, which we enjoyed walking to. There is a convenience/grocery store a short walk away, they have a nice selection of items, ex: bottled water. There was a mother and her two daughters across the street from the hotel begging for money.

All and all .... I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Read my review
1 Thank Paelaine
brisbane
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had booked accommodation in London for the last part of our trip (4 days) after touring Ireland. There were 3 of us, my sister and one of my friends. After seeing the booked accommodation, we just could not stay (that review I will give later) and went door to door in the area to try and find last minute accommodation (which was virtually nil at an affordable price). We came across the Central Park Hotel as, well frankly, our last attempt for rooms in the area (Bayswater). The hotel is very welcoming in appearance as you enter. The staff went out of their way to help us out and for that I cannot thank them enough. The room was large (we had a triple) and they moved things around to accommodate the 3 of us. The bathroom very tiny but extremely clean. It is a 3 star hotel and the staff tell you this. It is just tired and needs a some revamping and TLC. If you are looking for accommodation across the road from Kensington & Hyde Park's, right around the corner from buses and trains then may I recommend this hotel. It is not the Hilton, but well worth a stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing the street. There are backpackers across the road that like to party a...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

First off, the good things about this hotel:
- walking distance to Hyde Park, Notting Hill, and very close to a tube stop
- relatively cheap by London standards (though apparently with good reason)
- ...

...unfortunately, that's about all I can think of and the bad certainly outweighs the good at this hotel. Upon checking in, first impressions are quite good, with the outside and lobby kept in good condition. Upon entering the room, this is where things fall apart.The rooms are not cleaned properly, carpets are dirty and as many other people have mentioned are in dire need of a renovation.

However, all of this is nothing in comparison to the customer service. I had an unfortunate incident where I badly cut my toe on a sharp piece of metal protruding from the corner of the bathtub. After initially going downstairs to the concierge with my toe wrapped in toilet paper, I was abruptly informed that he had no plasters available but there was a hospital with an emergency department not too far away. Having lost half a day of my vacation sitting around in a hospital, I returned to the hotel and informed the staff of what had happened. To cut a long story short, I was offered a single breakfast voucher for my troubles and none of the staff even acknowledged that anything had happened for my remaining 6 days there.

Finally, a few days before leaving I had the pleasure of finding some of my items had been 'removed' by the housekeeping. It appears that this is not an isolated incident at this hotel, who perhaps need to look at their staff a bit more closely. Again, this incident was handled with shocking customer service. All staff at the front desk could tell me was to lodge a complaint by email with management, which I promptly did. After no reply I sent another email and was told that the first email must have ended up in their junk folder but they would investigate the matter further. Again I had to follow up only this time to be told the reply must have been stuck in the draft folder, but that there was nothing they could do, they take no responsibility for any items left in the room and that I should have kept everything in the safe. Exactly how they expected me to pack my entire suitcase contents into the small safe, they were unable to explain.

I am currently still waiting for a further reply about the stolen items, however I am not holding my breath. I have certainly learned my lesson and will never be staying with this hotel in future trips to London. I cannot recommend strongly enough to avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hawkeye85
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Of all the places that I've stayed in the UK, this hotel is the WORST hotel ever. First they gave my family and I occupied rooms. And then the housekeeper stole some things from my room. When I asked them about that, they said that they did not know anything about it. I even asked the person who cleaned the room and she said she did not see any of my things which was a lie! These people are a bunch of LIARS and THIEVES! Do not stay at this hotel. The hotel looks nice on the outside but not in the inside.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Hotelreview15492
Manchester
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is a good location close to the tube station. It looks great on the outside. Reception is clean and modern. The rooms on the other hand leave a lot to be desired, the paint work is shocking, grubby dirty hand marks on the walls and ceiling. Black marks on the skirts. No iron in the room. We had to ask for one and then it was taken back without notice, when we still required it. We went out in the evening had a great time in the west end. We got up the following day to return home went to have a shower only to discover our shower head and shower curtain had been removed. Our shower wasn't broken nor had we reported it as so.
When we complained a simple shrug of the shoulders was given.
If you intend to make use of the wifi in the hotel at £7, dont!!!!
There is excellent signal from the cloud (free).
so if you are expecting a palatial hotel from the outside pictures you will be sorely disappointed. This is a cheap budget hotel at high end prices.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Greece
Reviewed September 30, 2013

we stayed at central park hyde park hotel for five days in september 2013 with my daughter,it was an amazing experience. big rooms which were made up every day,large bathroom and excellent staff.The location marvellous with two tube stations 2 minutes away.The only negative I could find is that there is not internet not even in public areas but you had to pay for it.I would also congratulate Gala Hotels because they offered us the most competitive price we cold find for that hotel.We will certainly come back again and recommend Gala hotels to all our friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com