“Last minute saviour......”

Ranked #863 of 1,088 Hotels in London
brisbane
“Last minute saviour......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had booked accommodation in London for the last part of our trip (4 days) after touring Ireland. There were 3 of us, my sister and one of my friends. After seeing the booked accommodation, we just could not stay (that review I will give later) and went door to door in the area to try and find last minute accommodation (which was virtually nil at an affordable price). We came across the Central Park Hotel as, well frankly, our last attempt for rooms in the area (Bayswater). The hotel is very welcoming in appearance as you enter. The staff went out of their way to help us out and for that I cannot thank them enough. The room was large (we had a triple) and they moved things around to accommodate the 3 of us. The bathroom very tiny but extremely clean. It is a 3 star hotel and the staff tell you this. It is just tired and needs a some revamping and TLC. If you are looking for accommodation across the road from Kensington & Hyde Park's, right around the corner from buses and trains then may I recommend this hotel. It is not the Hilton, but well worth a stay.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room facing the street. There are backpackers across the road that like to party a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

First off, the good things about this hotel:
- walking distance to Hyde Park, Notting Hill, and very close to a tube stop
- relatively cheap by London standards (though apparently with good reason)
- ...

...unfortunately, that's about all I can think of and the bad certainly outweighs the good at this hotel. Upon checking in, first impressions are quite good, with the outside and lobby kept in good condition. Upon entering the room, this is where things fall apart.The rooms are not cleaned properly, carpets are dirty and as many other people have mentioned are in dire need of a renovation.

However, all of this is nothing in comparison to the customer service. I had an unfortunate incident where I badly cut my toe on a sharp piece of metal protruding from the corner of the bathtub. After initially going downstairs to the concierge with my toe wrapped in toilet paper, I was abruptly informed that he had no plasters available but there was a hospital with an emergency department not too far away. Having lost half a day of my vacation sitting around in a hospital, I returned to the hotel and informed the staff of what had happened. To cut a long story short, I was offered a single breakfast voucher for my troubles and none of the staff even acknowledged that anything had happened for my remaining 6 days there.

Finally, a few days before leaving I had the pleasure of finding some of my items had been 'removed' by the housekeeping. It appears that this is not an isolated incident at this hotel, who perhaps need to look at their staff a bit more closely. Again, this incident was handled with shocking customer service. All staff at the front desk could tell me was to lodge a complaint by email with management, which I promptly did. After no reply I sent another email and was told that the first email must have ended up in their junk folder but they would investigate the matter further. Again I had to follow up only this time to be told the reply must have been stuck in the draft folder, but that there was nothing they could do, they take no responsibility for any items left in the room and that I should have kept everything in the safe. Exactly how they expected me to pack my entire suitcase contents into the small safe, they were unable to explain.

I am currently still waiting for a further reply about the stolen items, however I am not holding my breath. I have certainly learned my lesson and will never be staying with this hotel in future trips to London. I cannot recommend strongly enough to avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hawkeye85

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Of all the places that I've stayed in the UK, this hotel is the WORST hotel ever. First they gave my family and I occupied rooms. And then the housekeeper stole some things from my room. When I asked them about that, they said that they did not know anything about it. I even asked the person who cleaned the room and she said she did not see any of my things which was a lie! These people are a bunch of LIARS and THIEVES! Do not stay at this hotel. The hotel looks nice on the outside but not in the inside.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Hotelreview15492
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is a good location close to the tube station. It looks great on the outside. Reception is clean and modern. The rooms on the other hand leave a lot to be desired, the paint work is shocking, grubby dirty hand marks on the walls and ceiling. Black marks on the skirts. No iron in the room. We had to ask for one and then it was taken back without notice, when we still required it. We went out in the evening had a great time in the west end. We got up the following day to return home went to have a shower only to discover our shower head and shower curtain had been removed. Our shower wasn't broken nor had we reported it as so.
When we complained a simple shrug of the shoulders was given.
If you intend to make use of the wifi in the hotel at £7, dont!!!!
There is excellent signal from the cloud (free).
so if you are expecting a palatial hotel from the outside pictures you will be sorely disappointed. This is a cheap budget hotel at high end prices.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

we stayed at central park hyde park hotel for five days in september 2013 with my daughter,it was an amazing experience. big rooms which were made up every day,large bathroom and excellent staff.The location marvellous with two tube stations 2 minutes away.The only negative I could find is that there is not internet not even in public areas but you had to pay for it.I would also congratulate Gala Hotels because they offered us the most competitive price we cold find for that hotel.We will certainly come back again and recommend Gala hotels to all our friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a cheap hotel and I guess you get what you pay for. The beds are sunken and the pillows are really old, uneven and firm. The hairdryer uses an European plug which was strange, but thankfully I had a converter. The water boiler had to be held down to do its job! The toilet is small but it's good enough. If these does not bother you, it's a short walk to the lovely Kensington park, and a short walk to the tube.

1 Thank TravellerWX
St. Helena Island, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

First time in over 30 years and several dozen hotel stays in London that we couldn’t get a good night’s sleep. Only positive things about this hotel were its location near Queensway (there are plenty of other hotels in this area though) and the fridge and safe in the room plus it was roomy enough to move around and fit suitcases.
By far the worst hotel we’ve ever stayed in London. Noise from all the other rooms nearby (heard every conversation, bathroom noises including farts and even when someone next door shifted position in the bathtub!) was bad enough but the noise from the street (conversations, traffic, even just people walking by) also kept us awake all night. The noise went on and on - 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM, etc. and I tried using earplugs plus putting a pillow over my head and nothing worked. Tried leaving the TV on hoping it would drown it out and allow me to fall asleep but no luck. Have to emphasize, these were normal noises - not loud partying - it is because there is no soundproofing between the rooms. You hear if someone hangs their coat up next door.
Then there is a fee for wi-fi - just about every other hotel in the area (including the Comfort Inn next door) provides free wi-fi and they are less expensive per night. We were paying over $150/night and the Comfort Inn next door would have been $25-$50 less. There was no bath mat (and a very slippery tub), no facial tissues (Kleenex), and the continental breakfast was non-existent. No fruit or yogurt or cheese - just cereal and toast/croissants and stale rolls with not even hot chocolate - only tea and coffee and tiny juice glasses. Actually the box breakfast we got when leaving early for the airport was better than the breakfast the day before - at least it had an apple and a boiled egg along with some cheese and ham and roll/croissant - tip, better to ask for it than actually go down to breakfast. Even if we had paid more for the full breakfast, it was a horrible looking buffet. Given the famous full English breakfast most hotels in the area offer - this was practically criminal.Tiny TV screen - smaller than our computer at home. The usual tea-making items in the room were also poor (one tea bag, no sweetener and no cookies/biscuits). The cups and glasses also were never washed during our 2 night stay.
If you are wondering why we stayed here, the airfare package we had from our travel agency only had this hotel as the option for that part of London so it had been prepaid. Otherwise we would have left. The hotel staff are not very helpful (all foreign) and maybe this hotel appeals to East Europeans but we would advise you to steer clear.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here (as we did), make sure to get a room on the back side rather than the stree...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple