“Decent hotel, great location, but no luggage storage”
Review of Central Park Hotel

Central Park Hotel
Ranked #850 of 1,067 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Decent hotel, great location, but no luggage storage”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We just spent a week at the Central Park Hotel. The room was small, but not miniscule. The room was clean. The twin beds were small, the TV screen was also pretty small. The breakfast was okay--just bread, jam, butter and the coffee terrible.

I would say the biggest issue is that they had no luggage storage--there is a hotel around the corner The Bayswater Hotel that offers cheap luggage storage. I have never been to a hotel that didn't offer to store your luggage for you if you arrived before checkout.

But all in all, we the stay at the hotel was fine. The location is GREAT.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high-up--the street can get noisy with people.
1 Thank betteluna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Our room (6th floor,street view) was quite nice,large enough for two.The only problem : the bathroom,large enough but with incredible small sink and stationary shower(see photos).The concierge man in the lobby was very documented and helpful. Another minus for the hotel is the quality of breakfast : the continental included bread,butter,three kinds of jam,croissant, 1 type of coffee,1 type of tea,milk,cereals,orange and apple juice,which,from our point of view,was very very poor. (for a 6.50 £ extra you can get in addition a small yoghurt,one slice of cheese + one slice of ham).The location is quite nice and quiet, across the street is Hyde Park, a shopping street nearby( 2 min walk)with lots of restaurants, bus station at the corner of the street (1 min).

33 Thank Caralumba
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed here for one night during a business trip because the Ramada close by couldn't accommodate me for my whole trip.

When I arrived at the hotel I had what was probably my worst hotel check-in experience ever. Four members of staff behind the counter, three of which weren't busy and tried very hard to ignore me for at least 5 minutes even when I outright demanded service. Finally, the staff member who was busy with another guest was able to attend to me but wouldn't even lift her eyes up from her screen to greet me. The whole thing was farcical.

Later on, I came back to the hotel only to realize that I'd stupidly forgotten my room number. To cut a long story short, the slightly more friendly receptionist ended up giving me a key for another guest's room. Walking in on someone in their room is ... uh ... awkward.

My room was seriously dated and smelled. I left the window open during the night because of the smell and was seriously disturbed by the racket going on outside.

I was actually glad that breakfast wasn't included in my rate - I couldn't wait to check out the next morning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank markmcloughlin
Bacau
Reviewed September 16, 2011

If you want to ruin your vacation, staying at the Central Parc Hotel it's the perfect way to do it.

First of all, you arrive at th hotel and there isn't anyone to help you with the luggages.

Than you have the unpleasant surprise to get to your room. A tiny room. Looking around the room you'll find only a small place to put your clothes. What is supposed to be a cupboard, has not enough place for one person, not to speak for two.

But the adventure goes on. Once you go to the bathroom you'll be surprised by the fact that the shower can't be moved The size of the bathroom can no longer surprise you: two people can't get in it at the same time. In order to take a shower you'll have to wait quite some time for the water to get hot. If you would like to have some ventilation that actually works you should have booked a different hotel. And the show goes on ...

You try to get over it and get some sleep. It's impossible. Even though you force yourself not to, you hear everything that other people talk in the rooms next to your's.

Finnaly you get asleep. You wake up the next day and try to enjoy. But first you go to breakfast. For 6 pounds you have 'continental breakfast". That means some unknown sort of tea, some melted, very salted butter, bread, jam and some dreadfull croissants. If you would like some yoghurt, fruits chease or meat you must pay extra. And all these when you could go nearby and have a delicious breakfast at half the price of the horrific "continental breakfast".

You get back to your room and ask for the internet. There is none. You have to pay 5 pounds for 1 hour when nearby you could have internet acces for 1,5 an hour. The hotel provides internet acces at the basement, in a very small room, with no ventilation. Don't imagine that you could use your mobile in that place. You're not in the tube but you're in the same situation; no mobile signal.

In case you want to have something printed you'll find yourself send to a hostle nearby. The hotel can't help you.

It's time to go. There is no luggage place. But you could pay 70 pounds and keep the room so you could have a place for them, that the hotel should provide, until you leave to the airport.

They will recommend to take a "shuttle" for 20 pounds. Big mistake. The shuttle didn't arrive on time. after more than 40 minutes of delay I decided to take a taxi.

So, I totally agree with those who complained about the hotel. The only good thing is the location. But it's not worth it. Change the hotel and your vacation will be happier.

Room Tip: there is no good room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mirela O
Cardiff
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Stayed here for a few nights - very helpful staff. Rooms fitted out to a good standard with comfy beds and clean bathrooms.

Always very busy so quite often hard to get rooms for when you want if at anything less than a weeks notice.

No airconditioning and the road at the front gets very noisy early mornings (from about 6am) with tourists on package and coach tours leaving.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel are noisy!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sam9887
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I almost changed our reservation for five rooms after visiting this site. I am so happy that I didn't. There is nothing wrong with the Central Park. It is not my preferred location (I like Kensington/Knightsbridge) but I have stayed all over the city and there is nothing wrong with Bayswater. The tube was close, the area was safe, and the hotel itself was perfectly acceptable. A nice reception area and bar was great for my family (10 of us, all adults) and ditto for the large breakfast area. Food was on the downside of so-so, but I wasn't there to eat. My 80 year old dad fell outside before we even set foot in the place, and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The rooms were small, but who cares? It was clean, convenient, and cheap. I think the adage "You pay for what you get" needs to be remembered by some of the reviewers!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank uptowngirl57
Siggiewi, Malta
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and I must say it was beyond our expectations, bathroom and the room were clean, towels were new and everything spick and span. The only thing that bothered us was that they have no left luggage facility. We had to leave our luggage at Paddington station's left luggage service after we made our check out, this took us round an hour to leave our things there and costs us £8.50 for every luggage. Will definitely return again but if there is the left luggage facility at the hotel it would be more convenient.

Room Tip: we stayed on the third floor which was fine!
1 Thank joannegalea