“Could be better!”
Review of Henry VIII Hotel

Henry VIII Hotel
Ranked #872 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent almost one week at the Henry VIII in London. Quiet and safe neighborhood, a good five minutes walk from the nearest tub station (Queensway Station - Red Line), good breakfast and helpful staff. The room was very small, dirty carpet and not good toiletries (make sure to bring your soap and shampoo!). At the end I recommend Henry VIII because of one thing: location. This is Kensington area! If you find something better in London… go ahead. London is still one of the most expensive places in the world.

Room Tip: Avoid the room 402… the tiniest of my life!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Intrepid T

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I booked this hotel after some consideration. I had looked at many others but kept coming back to this one. I read some of the reviews and decided to take all of them with a "pinch of salt" I have travelled quite a lot and always make my own opinions rather than following the crowd.
We came here as 2 couples (me and my hubby) and my parents - our treat. We were welcomed warmly and efficiently checked in. Our rooms were on the 1st floor just 2 rooms apart. We were all pleased with our rooms. Ok, the bathroom was a little on the small side but how much room do you need? Shower was hot and powerful and toiletries more than adequate for an overnight stay - left more room in case for shopping!!! The bed was very comfortable and had a great sleep - I am a bad sleeper at the best of times. We went down to breakfast just before 9am and we seated promptly. We were more than happy about the breakfast. There was a lot of choice - cereals, muesli, fruit, yogurt, bread, rolls, toast, croissants, Danish pastries, ham, cheeses and then the hot selection of sausages, scrambled eggs and tomatoes. Ok so bacon and eggs cooked other ways were an extra charge but I fail to understand how other travellers can slate the food available?
They were more than happy to safely store our luggage for the day - even though we had checked out. This was great as shopping with a suitcase is not an easy thing and saved £18 in left luggage costs as Waterloo.
Ok so Bayswater does seem to be a Spanish area but that was fine by us. To be honest, having read a lot of the reviews on here, it makes me ashamed to be british. Talk about a nation of moaners -funny how no-one writes compliments but boy do they know how to moan.
We would definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cclarke120
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed at this hovel last weekend and can honestly advise anyone thinking of booking here to seriously think again!(unless you like bad things in which case this is the gaff for you!)

Booked well in advance for three adult males to have a triple room and was advised that we would have either three single beds or two singles and a sofa bed.

When we checked in we where advised it was a room with a double and a single bed (not happy chappies)

Not wanting to put a damper on the weekend we decided to crack on and make the most it and ascend to the top floor of the hotel where the room was.

The lift awaited us (shoe box on a rope?) this thing was so slow and outdated that I still wonder if maybe it was Pedro from reception winding the lift through the floors from the roof!!!!

On entering the room we were greeted by the dank 80's style mediocrity of accommodation I had booked.

Taking a minute to absorb the mediocre self certified 4 star splendour (I can only assume was certified by either Mr Magoo or Stevie wonder) we heard the squeaky, grinding drone of the Pedro 2000 lift, a lovely, comforting noise when in your bed

The shower was a trickle that could be compared to a small mouse standing above you and peeing red hot scalding nothingness or freezing cold (with less pressure?) nothingness!

Breakfast lived up to all expectations and was what can only be described as a culinary delight.This consisted of an anemic sausage, bounce off the wall plaster egg and the wonderful atmospheric drone of the Pedro 2000, always a pleasure = (

I have to admit though the biggest disappointment of the weekend had to be that the gaffer Basel Faulty didn't show his face but hey I suppose you can't have it all!

Room Tip: Book else where
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank SCalvert264
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Dirty and small room ,bad quality soap and shampoo ,the carpet was dirty and they had no slippers , the central heating wasn't working and I tried the Aircondition but wasn't working too, the breakfast was poor and the foods low quality , the coffee was instant, the orange juice the worse I ever tried .

Room Tip: Poor breakfast , small room , dirty carpet ,
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nikosgeor
Reviewed November 3, 2013

First impression is medium. Reception is small but looks clean and well organised. Staff a bit more dubious. Speaks mostly Spanish, and start talking on the phone in the middle of checking me in. I do not appreciate taking a back seat to the phone. Only one lift is working, which causes some congestion.
Then the room, the tiniest room i have ever hadthe misfortune to be in. For one person it is claustrophobic, for two ridicoulous. The bathroom is equally tiny.
However if you only need a place to sleep in central London, for a day or two, you can survive. You just have to be inventive. I did not unpack anything except my toiletries, and put my suitcase in the wardrobe, which could barely be opened, without hitting the end of the bed, but there was nowhere else, since there was no luggage rack or floorspace.
The location is very good, in central Bayswater, but you can hear the Tube at all times.
The breakfast is not worth it, you can get better at a cafe, for less money.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top, for more quietness.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fatimazahra
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having booked this hotel due to its location for a weekend in central London was pleased with the first impressions. The location, around 100 meters off the Bayswater Road and a few minutes’ walk to either Bayswater or Queensway underground station meant that the whole of London was easily accessible. The room was small, well ventilated and light. A big floor to ceiling window allowed plenty of natural light. The ceiling being around 12ft high had a fan which kept the air flowing. The bed was quite comfortable and although only double in size was quite adequate for the one night we stayed. The bathroom had a small bath and there was plenty of hot water. A small flat screen TV placed high on top of the wardrobe meant that it could be viewed easily whilst lying in bed. Coffee and tea and a small kettle, enough to make a couple of drinks was included too. The Wi-Fi Internet access was a bit hit and miss though. All in all a nice little room. The reception was ok and we were greeted by a pleasant receptionist who gave us all the information we needed, it seems the first language of the hotel was Spanish, however, we experienced no difficulties whatsoever.

The room was noisy at night time with the blowers from either the air conditioning or from the pool went drumming continuously right through the night. The hotel was a spa hotel and the pool whilst small was more than adequate and being just over 6 ft deep at the deepest point was good. The changing areas for the pool was very disappointing, two cubicles in one corner with shower curtains as doors together with big mirrors meant that everything was on show. Certainly not private enough to allow for anyone to have any chance of changing discreetly. The sauna again was very small and if more than three people wanted to use this facility it would indeed become very cosy, although it was never turned on so that the size never mattered at all.

Breakfast next morning, well what can I say, think of all the negative words you can think off and it still wouldn’t cover it. When directed to our table we were asked what drinks we wanted, tea coffee etc, all sounds good. My wife wanted tea while I requested decaf coffee, we were then served with two cups of hot water a tea bag and an instant coffee sachet with decaf in. the selection of continental breakfast was in fact quiet varied, the usual hams, cheeses, fruit, yoghurts etc but nothing looking appetising. The cereal was hidden away behind the fruit juice of Mango rather than the usual orange. One taste was enough to prove that it was powdered and not fresh. Bread rolls were hard and the sliced bread open for flies to settle on. When putting toast through the toaster, it appeared at the bottom after going through its journey looking fresher than it went in. Onto the hot food, reconstituted powdered egg along with bacon that had been cooked so long I thought it had died several times and baked beans that were almost so cold that they had not seen any heat for a long time, despite only being their ten minutes after the breakfast room had opened.

The overall appearance of the hotel was not of a four star hotel and the breakfast would have had trouble finding any star let alone four. Overall it was ok for one night as long as you don’t want a decent breakfast.

Room Tip: If you use the pool get changed in your room and take a towel. Hotel towels are very sma;;. take yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike D
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights pre cruise and although the location was great for us: underground nearby, great Greek restaurant on the block, pubs around the block, Hyde Park across the street and if you're a walker you can cut thru the park to Marble Arch and the Diana memorials, there are some drawbacks about the facility. There is no way to contact them via e-mail with a question. The pool was closed the entire time and that is a main feature in their listing. The 2 computers were dreadfully horribly slow and the TV had maybe 3 channels. You should plan on all your own bathroom sundries as the ones given were miniscule. The front desk staff was hit or miss in their willingness to try to figure out the answer to a question starting with , "Do you know if....." If they didn't know, that was it. I will say the overall hotel was clean, room was cleaned well daily, breakfast was more than ample over a few hours time span and the location was fine. It was in a very nice neighborhood interspersed with apartments and a few hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out on the main street. We looked out over vents and bricks.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple