“Henry viii hotel, London”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Henry VIII Hotel

Henry VIII Hotel
Ranked #817 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Boston,USA
“Henry viii hotel, London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is in a relatively good location. It's about .4 mile from the Paddington railroad/underground station. It's also a short walk from Hyde park. Several restaurants and pubs are a couple of blocks away. It's easy to find. Leaving the railroad station (underground station is across the street), you take a right and just go straight until that road ends and it's right there on your right.

Rooms are clean. Staff is freindly. You can book tours through the front desk and the tour bus will pick you up about 100 feet up the street in front of the hotel next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Scruffydog777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Gonderange, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am just back from a 3 day trip to London. I stayed at this hotel and I was overall satisfied. Do not have too many expectations as it is in my opinion not a 4* but it was reasonably satisfactory for the price I paid. It is located in Bayswater just a few walking steps from Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. There are 2 Underground stations nearby (Queensway and Lancaster Gate). The rooms are tidy and a bit small. Tee and coffee in the room is a plus. Just try to avoid rooms at the back (for example 200 or 201), they are a bit noisy because of a close Underground passage. Breakfast in the morning is OK and included. There is an indoor pool too. The staff is friendly and most of them are Spanish speakers.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back a bit noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cricklade, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a late deal through a 3rd party website and was advised this was a 4-Star hotel. The room was tiny. So small in fact that I was unable to pull the chair out from under the desk as the bed was too close to it. I had to literally climb over the bed to get to the wardrobe to hang my clothes up.

The free Wifi worked OK in the hotel lobby, but did not work at all in my room, which was right next to the lobby.

Breakfast was OK, I only had a coffee and a croissant due to lack of appetite.

The room and hotel in general was clean and service was professional. I was just very disappointed at the size of bedroom for the price I paid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've stayed recently in this hotel and I chose it again when I needed to stay in London a couple of weeks after. For the price you pay you get a decent size room (first time was smaller and the second time I asked for a bigger one which I got), free wi-fi in the room (doesnt work amazingly but is nice to have it for free) and a good breakfast. Staff is polite and caring, always helping with whatever you may need, hotel related, sightseeing and tourism and transport as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I wanted a good value hotel in central London and booked this one. On reading reviews I was a little sceptical but thought for a base for one night we would put up with it. Our room, a double, was just a few steps up from reception and in all honesty was absolutely fine and had everything we expected. Although we only had two pillows on the bed I did find a spare in the wardrobe so rang reception for another one and within 5mins this was brought to us. he room was clean and the tea/coffee tray was fully stocked (although it would have been nice to have more milk) and even the bathroom had toiletries to use. My partner and I used the swimming pool and had it to ourselves and the water was lovely and warm so spent a pleasant half an hour there relaxing before venturing out for the evening. The disappointment was that the sauna was broken - which I understand happens a lot. Our room was at the back of the hotel, overlooking the kitchen, but that said it was lovely and quiet so we had a good nights sleep. In the morning at breakfast we were a little concerned as the buffet was more continental but then we found there was a cooked option near the toaster and although not the usual variety there was a choice of scrambled eggs, sausages and hash browns the latter being the best we have ever tasted. All in all excellent value in an excellent central location. The staff were friendly and obliging and we said we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Forde, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I am agreeing with previous reviews of this hotel, there is no way this is a four star hotel! To be a four star hotel there is much wanting. The room I got was of an OK size to be a single, it had enough space for my luggage and I could move about without bumping into things. The bed was of the hard kind, but it did not bother me. What did bother me was the very flat pillow. There were a second pillow available, but it had no pillow case. The bathroom was small, but functional, with OK water pressure. On my second day the maid removed my hand-towel, and did not preplace it, and it had no floor mat available. Once I notified the reception that my hand-towel was missing, I got both a floor mat and an extra towel as well as the hand-towel. Another day, I noticed that the towels I had used, and put on the floor to be replaced, had been rehung on the towel rack. Highly unprofessional! The room an bathroom was cleanish. The corners in the room had residue of dust (or mould?!), some of the laminate floor boards were loose, an so were some of the bathroom tiles. The room seem to need a proper scouring and some repairs and re-grouting. If someone is walking in the corridor and entering the neighbouring room, it sounds like they are coming into your room. The breakfast is definitely not four star. Few selections, chewy croissants, luke-warm bacon and watery juice (more water with a hint of orange flavour, really). And the breakfast room had this slightly mouldy basement scent, which did not help the appetite. One plus though, the hotel has a swimming pool. The only reason I would stay here again, is if all the other Bayswater hotels were fully booked. Others might like this hotel, due to its location for shopping and sightseeing, since you won't stay in the room so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel may be named for Henry VIII and located in London, but it's best if you speak Spanish!

As we booked this hotel way back in early MAR of 2012 for our pre-Christmas stay from 13 - 20DEC12, our Londoner friend noted that we got a pretty good price...for LON. While the hotel does not look as great as in the picture...it's not too bad. Everything about it was "Average". Front desk staff not too friendly nor helpful...one was borderline rude when we inquired about left messages. Most were from the Canary Islands and spoke only some English. Fortunately, one of us speaks Spanish. The put upon staff in the breakfast room were much more approachable, but overwhelmed. One gets the impression they are all "trainees"?!

Location is quite conveniet with nearby tube and bus stops (though while we were there, Bayswater Road was partially torn up and the nearest bus stop was not in service.) There is a very small bar area turned "business center" with two free computers for e-mails and such.

Also, the new corrected address is 23 Leinster Gardens I/O Number 19.

Room Tip: Away from the 2 elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends