“Clean, small, shabby.......”

Ranked #933 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Edinburgh
“Clean, small, shabby.......”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Good:
Location, clean, good TV channel choice and clear picture, location (so good it goes in twice), comfortable bed and decent breakfast.

The Bad:
The sink had no plug and no grill so was basically a very big hole down which quite large items (contacts, toothpaste) fell and could not be got back. Especially annoying as it was a cramp space so you tended to knock things over easily.
Each person had one very flat pillow. We arrived about 10pm and asked for more but were told we had to ask again in the morning. This was annoying for two reasons - 1. They could not just get more pillows now and 2. They could not make a note of it so we did not have to ask morning staff too.
Our room was above the main door where people smoke. On the last night/day it was quite smelly.

The average:
Very small and cramped - but laid out quite well. As so small all walls scuffed as people squeeze arround which makes it a bit shabby. Carpets badly laid and bumpy - again adds to shabby look. Only one small lift in use for guests. Shower so small you kept changing the temperature when you moved. Our shower leaked and the head fell off - but that was fixed the same day - not the leak though.

All in all I would stay again if the price was right - but near the smoking area.

Room Tip: Any room not on the ground floor will involve stairs/steps. If smoking bothers you make sure not ne...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CandCEdinburgh
Queenspark_Manager, Manager at Queens Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear CandCEdinburgh,

Thank you for your time and effort to appraise us of your recent stay.
We take all comments very seriously and if, for whatever reason you found that your recent stay with us, was not totally perfect, we love to hear about it, in order to improve!
Firstly, thank you for your positive comments, regarding the cleanliness of the Queens Park Hotel and great location, we also are truly delighted to hear that you found the breakfast selection to be decent.

Apologies that your bathroom sink appeared to have no plug. We shall certinaly be looking into this and we will most definately have this rectified immediately. I would like to add, that rooms are cleaned and checked thoroughly prior to check in on a daily basis, therefore, we apologise that this was overlooked.
I am sorry that our Night staff were unable to provide you with extra pillows on your first night, furthermore, Front desk always usually take notes for each shift, in order for information to be relayed for the next shift, I am surprised that this was not the case and I shall certainly be highlighting this point to the front desk staff in our next meeting.
With regards to room size, London is a very highly populated area and due to this, room sizes are somewhat smaller than their counterpart in Europe. This particularly so, in Central London.

There are currently two lifts at the Hotel and although one of the lifts is rather small, please be assured that they are regularly serviced and maintained.
We are currently negotiating building another lift within the premises and we hope to have a decision on this very soon.
Apologies that the smoke had reached your room from the smokers area outside the Hotels main entrance, we will be looking into this problem to rectify this.

We thank you again for your recent review and we do hope that you will stay with us again on future visits into London.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
majorca
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were fairly worried by some of the reviews before we visited the hotel. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised. The corridors to our room were slightly shabby and rather cold but once we reached our room we were totally happy as it was clean, modern and very warm which was fantastic as we were there in March and it was freezing. The breakfast was more than adequate for the price we paid. We had to ask for extra coffee and milk and we were given these with a smile. We will definitely stay here in future when we visit London. It is such a brilliant location as you can walk through Hyde Park to Oxford Street or if you go in the other direction Notting Hill

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank touriststwo
Dear Touristtwo,

Thank you for your very positive review.
We are truly delighted to hear that you had a very pleasant experience at The Queens Park Hotel.
Regarding the corridors, we aim to repaint the walls every six to nine months and we will be seeing to this very shortly.
We are also extremely pleased to hear that you will be staying with us again in future.
I shall certainly be passing on your comments to our staff, who I am sure will be very pleased to hear this!
Many thanks again for your wonderful review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was visiting this hotel many times. Friendly staff and very helpful.Great breakfast , everything fresh and served very clean.Rooms clean and nice. . For sure one of my favourites hotels .Will be back for sure .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Utomou
Queenspark_Manager, Manager at Queens Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Utomou,

Thank you for a truly delightful review!
We are so pleased to have fulfilled your expectations during your stay at The Queens Park hotel.
I shall certainly pass your comments on to our staff, I am sure that this will make their day!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at The Queens Park hotel!
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Been around travelling to a lot of places in the world and this place was okay. I was there with my family in november 2012.

However we only had cold water in the shower all mornings and we also got a room with a really bad view, basement level. When i politely asked the staff about the water they first asked me "if maybe you could shower before seven or after ten in the mornings it should be fine". And then I asked for compensation and nothing happened. The manager seemed to avoid me although my contact with them was polite but not too polite. The manager repeatedly said he was gonna look into the issue and return to me but never did. Also when we checked out he promised me to get back to my mail about compensation or discount but I haven't heard a word.

I've worked with customer service myself for 12 years and my impression is that this is their usual tactic of getting rid of demanding customers...

Also they did repeatedly not cook enough breakfast so we had to wait several times for the ham and eggs.

Summary: Crowded and slow breakfasts, no hot water during the mornings, okay level of cleanliness, very unprofessional staff. I won't return here.

Room Tip: Dont expect hot water in the room, and dont take a room in the same level as reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JoelRL
Dear JoelRL,

Firstly, on behalf of the staff and the "Manager" that you were delaing with at the time of your stay, may I sincerely apologise for the inconveninece caused whilst you were our guest back in November 2012.
The issues you have raised in your review, is totally unacceptable and you should not have experienced such issues, as this is certainly not the norm at The Queens Park Hotel.
Having checked the records for November, there was a problem reported with the Hotel boiler, on one side of the building, affecting some rooms. This may have been the cause of the lack of hot water. This issue, no longer exists, as the problem was dealt with immediately.
Apologies that you had experienced this.
I am surprised that you state that the staff at Reception did not help, as we are usually renouned for our great customer service skills, but unfortunately, this was clearly not the case in this instance.
I have spoken to all the staff involved as customer service is extremely important and we take this very seriously.
Regarding the "Manager" that was supposed to have contacted you, Apologies, you did not receive our reply, however, I can assure you that this was sent to you at the time.
We may have incorrect contact details, apologies, if this is the case.
We will be very glad if you could contact us in future and we will certainly aim to exceed your expectations in your next visit.
We are extremely frustrated and disappointed that we were unable to fulfill your expectations, but we will endevour to make your next visit into London a memorable one!

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed for 1 night on business and have no reason to complain. The location is superb and within two minutes walk of Queensway tube station. Bayswater is 4 minutes walk, where you can eat some of the best Chinese food in London.

I paid a ridiculously cheap price for a central London location and by no means did the room or breakfast reflect this price. Everything was adequate.

Don’t expect champagne for beer money here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Petegaff
Dear Petegaff,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
We really appreciate the time and effort spent in reviewIng The Queens Park Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that we met your expectations.
The Queens Park Hotel is a three Star Hotel based in the Centre of London, we are always seeking to be very competative and at the same time, delivering a great product.
We are constantly thinking of new ways to improve and determined to meet and furthermore, try to exceed customer expectations.

We truly value your comments.
Thank you, and we hope to welcome you again soon at The Queens Park Hotel.
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a triple room which was small and very noisy as there seemed to be a boiler/generator that started up about 7pm until 11pm which made the bed wall vibrate. There was a 2 inch gap under the door and the staff could be heard on an evening as we were located right by the stairs leading to the basement. We had no hot water in a morning for the whole of our stay, water only hot on an evening. The female receptionists were very unprofessional and made snide comments when you walked away from reception, after we informed them about having no hot water. Breakfast very poor and no where to sit, the hotel couldn't cope with the number of guests neither could the water boiler. The only good thing was the location.

Room Tip: Don't take room 119!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Calvin B
Queenspark_Manager, Manager at Queens Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Calvin B,

The Queens Park Hotel is naturally distressed that we were unable to meet your expecations and furthermor,e you found the whole experience disappointing.
The Queens Park Hotel is extremely concerned, and all the comments made, have been investigated, please let me explain.

The vibration felt, may have been a cause from the radiator, as a problem was reported during your stay, however, I do beleive that the problem was rectified moments later, as the maintanance department saw to this immediately after it was reported.
Hot water is always readily available at anytime of day, whether its peak or off-peak. However, unfortunately a technical glich did occur during your visit, though an engineer was called to recitfy that problem once it was reported. This problem, has now been resolved.
Many apologies for this, this is certainly not the norm at the Queens Park Hotel.

Breakfast has recently been updated and there is a wide selection of different cereal, criossants, toast, butter and jam preserves, variety of cheese, yoghurt and fruit. The hot buffet section offers, eggs, sausages, beans and mushroom. In addition there is a wide variety of hot and cold beverages. Apologies that we were unable to meet your expectations, though very much appreciate your comments, we will certainly look into this.

In the meantime, we thank you for recently reviewing the Queens Park hotel and we will do our utmost to improve, as we are constantly thinking of new ways to expand and perfect the level of service offered at the Queens Park Hotel.
We should be very glad if someday you would pay us a return visit so that we may provide you with the happy and enjoyable experience that many others have come to appreciate at The Queens Park Hotel.
Madeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My daughter wanted to visit London for a quick trip, so we obviously needed a place to stay. We're not rich so I obviously was watching the cost but I didn't want to spend a ton of money. I'm not familiar with London so it was hit or miss. I did lots of searching and read lots of reviews. Some of the reviews for the Queens Park were scary, but most of the recent ones were good so I bit the bullet.
We arrived about an hour an a half BEFORE check in time and simply asked if we could leave our bag there while we went exploring. Not a problem...actually, they let us check in early! Fantastic! We got to our room after taking the tiny elevator that everyone has talked about and were very happy to see our room. It was clean (although the walls had some scuff marks) and tidy. Small, but heck...its London and I kind of expected it. It was a cold night, but we were warm with no heating issues. We both slept well, and woke refreshed in the morning...a plus with all the walking we did.
Breakfast in the morning was scrambled eggs, beans, sausage, toast, croissants. fruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, milk, oj, apple juice, and I believe I saw some cheese as well. It was nothing fancy, but it was hot, tasty, and plentiful. Perfect fuel for our day.
We paid a pound a the concierge to leave our bag after we checked out. I asked if we needed to be back at a certain time and was told with a smile...before midnight. We went back several hours later and our bag was brought out quickly to us. No problems at all.
If you are looking for an affordable, clean place to stay....just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Queensway Tube stop....then look no further! We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Hmm, well we stayed on the second floor at the end of the hall. We heard a bit of noise from people...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kbeech06
Dear Kbeech06,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.
The Queens Park Hotel is truly delighted to read such positive comments regarding your most recent stay with us.
We take all reviews and comments made by our valued guests, extremely seriously and the comments regarding th scuff marks on the walls will be dealt with immediately.
The two elevators at the Hotel, although small, are serviced regularly and work very effeciently. We are in the process of negotiating a larger lift, as this is something that the Management are well aware of.
Apologies for the noise heard from the second floor. We are always monitoring noise level and do take this very seriously.
In the meantime, we thank you again for your recent review and very much hope that we welcome you again soon at the Queen Park Hotel.