“Don't go there”

Ranked #929 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Don't go there”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

On the plus side it was a good location, close to tube, Hyde Park ... end of story.

The rooms were tiny and we had to climb over each other to get to the bathroom as there was no room to move around the bed. We also had a lovely view of a brick wall so was very claustrophobic as well as cramped. The bathroom was minute, don't go there if you are overweight! (which we are not) .... We hardly got any sleep with the racket going on all night with doors banging and people coming and going. Breakfast was a fiasco and was difficult to find a clean table to sit down. Took ages to get food and selection was less than average.

Room Tip: Don't think they have any decent size or quiet rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tonmax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Booked a single room for one night but was actually given a family room with two double beds. Was told was in basement so immediately was on high alert. Used lift, was small as per other reviews but perfectably usable. Decor in lower corridor bit worn and could do with refreshing but had no complaints with room itself. Was very clean and looked like recently decorated. Good-size, modern, clean en-suite with toiletries provided. Room was warm enough and although in basement no problems with security as bars on windows. Maybe you would feel exposed in summer with curtains open, but at night in winter with curtains drawn was no problem. Only criticism I would have of room was that I could only find two power sockets in room, located over dressing table unit so one of sockets was used for kettle. Extremely inadequate for such a large-sized family room.

Was transferring from another hotel so went along with luggage in morning. They were happy to store my luggage no charge until I came back in evening. Breakfast was fine. They kept everything replenished throughout breakfast period and it was all hot and perfectly edible.

Not sure about the comments of other reviewers who likened it to a hostal and said reception was filled with back-packer types. Other guests at breakfast seemed to be a fairly normal mix of tourist couples and families and some solo business people. Absolutely no feel that it was like a "hostal". Stayed there on a "deal" and would definitely stay there again based on this experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank p1nkyperky2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here with my Mum in November 2012.

First of all, the price we got was excellent and as such, I was aware we weren't getting a 5* hotel. The location is excellent. It's just a couple of minutes around the corner to the tube station (Queensway) and I believe there are another 2 within walking distance as well. We got a taxi to and from Heathrow Airport which was about 40 mins each way at £77 return for 4 people.

We arrived a little earlier than check-in time however both rooms were ready so we got in straight away. The receptionist wasn't as you would expect from a hotel (a bit bored and unenthusiastic looking).

Rooms were small but you're only sleeping there. En-suites tiny as well but just about manageable.

No hot water if you're thinking about having a shower betwen 8-9am on the 4th floor. Reception can't do anything about it apart from say sorry.

Breakfast was a little disappointing. The food is cheap and tastes cheap. Cooked items are limited (scrambled eggs, awful sausages, horrible mushrooms, tomatoes). Croissants not nice either.

It does appear to be popular for backpackers and does indeed look like a hostel at times with huge numbers of guests gathering in the lobby. This doesn't affect your stay though.

If I needed to visit London on a budget then I'd be ok staying here again - there's nothing too bad but if you can afford a bit more then look somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa M
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We wanted to stay in a hotel as close to the heart of London as we could. We stayed at Queens Park Hotel for 4 nights.
We arrived around 4:30 pm, as we were greeted or should I say looked at by who I think was the concierge. The hotel lobby looks fresh and inviting, to the left of the main doors is the freshly fitted out dining area. I will not say restaurant as there is not one, food is by prior arrangement only. The hotel offers no laundry facilities so make sure you bring enough clothes to last, washing them in the shower is no option as there is not enough room to attempt to dry them. We got our one room key, as the hotel was running low on room keys. We were in room 18 which was on the 3rd floor. We were given instructions out of the lift but there was so much to remember, I tuned out. How hard can it be?.... Think again through two fire exit doors, a maze of narrow winding corridors, we get to our room.

First impressions, nice, modern and clean. Firstly an array of doors, for such a small room there were plenty of them, I eagerly awaited to look behind. First double doors hid a small kitchenette, which wasn't stated on the room features when we booked, then again why mention it if nothing actually works! We were told that it all needed to be connected to the mains or something!

Second door hid a small but clean en-suite, not a bathroom as there is no bath. It was recently renovated so quite clean. About the size of an aeroplane toilet plus a shower which you wouldn't want to drop the soap as you probably couldn't bend to pick it up, it was tiny. We are not large people however we found it very cosy. You know the en-suite is small when you can wash your hands while sitting on the toilet.

Third and final door housed a very small cupboard which housed the in room safe. Certainly not enough storage space for clothes or much at all. The room lacked space for two suitcases, being a double room you think the room would cater for two people.

We were "lucky" to have a clean, but small double room which appeared recently renovated. Saying that the finish is very poor, I was certain a couple of doors were about to fall off and the flooring was bowed, not to mention the paper thin walls.

Now to the bed, cosy double which reminds me of my childhood cheap spring mattress certainly not the luxurious pillow top as we were staying on the previous week (at a different hotel). It was uncomfortable to say the least.

Breakfast is served between 7am and 10am Monday to Friday, and from 8am on the weekends just off the hotel flyer. First impressions were good, there was a selection of food, then we got closer.

The fruit appeared to be emptied from a can, tomatoes were certainly from a can, the sort I use to make lasagne sauce. Mushrooms likewise, appeared from a jar or can stewed in some sort of juice, water possibly. I wasn't going to try them. Sausages were disgusting, scrambled eggs good not the worst I have seen, baked beans..well where can they go wrong? Assortment of yoghurt and bread, and something that was supposed to be a croissant which tasted awful like stale bread. I doubt they have a chef preparing breakfast, everything is on the cheap and the food was really poor.

The two lifts in the hotel are very small and old and take forever to come when you call them. Two people with luggage wouldn't fit. Don't expect one of the lifts to stop you at the button you pressed either. The other option are the narrow stairs up the floors. Just be careful not to trip on the ripped carpet. The room whilst clean had signs of water damage on the ceiling and down light which appears to be from the rooms shower on the upper floor.

Staff at reception were often rude, having to pay for a wifi connection I expect a level of service which is of a high standard. When the system fails you also don't expect to get laughed at when you request your money back if the WiFi is not fixed. Remembering this hotel does not provide free WiFi, guests have to pay for it! Staff wouldn't go out of their way to help. The concierge although there were many didn't seen to do much apart from sit and stare at you as you walked in, or be out the front of the hotel smoking.

You can hear everything in the room, the walls appear paper thin and everything can be heard at all hours of the day or night. Cleaning staff completely forget that people are actually paying to stay here. Slamming doors and talking loudly is not appreciated at any time.

At the end of the day, you certainly get what you pay for. Although in some cases even then I think too little is too much. There are many trip advisor reviews which suggest bed bugs, thankfully we avoided them. The only comforting thing to this hotel was its location. Across the road from Hyde Park, 4km by walk to Oxford Street and public transport was around the corner.

WE CERTAINLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM STAYING AT THIS HOTEL (which I would suggest a typo should read "hostel"). NOT A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO END A HOLIDAY. **AVOID AT ALL COSTS** DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris P

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We visited London to see the sights and drink the ales; stayed for a week. The hotel is very close to Hyde Park, tubes and stores. Very convenient. The Full English Breakfast was great. Room was recently remodeled. I'd stay there again! Elevators are small, but not a problem. We used the stairs most of the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
South Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was in a newly renovated room (still smell of paint) but still it was quite nice. It looks like they have combined 2 hotels into 1 as the corridors were a bit all over the place. The hotel is on a quiet street but it is nice to go around for a walk. There a few good pubs about as well.

All in all it was comfratable, staff were very helpful. I think my internet went down and they changed my room. The full english breakfast gave me a good start to the day.

One of the lifts is very small so if you do not like confined spaces do not use it. But there are more than one...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I think judging by the reviews, there are two different types of rooms at this hotel. The ones that have had a refurb and those that haven’t. Irrespective of which room you stayed in the hotel was dated, moldy, smelly, with rude staff and in a bad location.

I arrived at the hotel at about 11:45pm after a day travelling, there were more bin bags outside the hotel than I could count and the street was just dirty, not main stream dirty, but urine along the road, broken bin bags, bits of pushbikes, something I wouldn’t expect in a tip…

Despite my quick check in, I was advised I wasn’t allowed an iron for health and safety reasons but to collect one in the morning when this would not be a problem. I went up to my room in a lift which pre-dated electricity and made my way through the corridor minding the sticky patches on the floor. When I entered my room I thought I’d transported into the Sahara… the heat was stifling. The heater was broken on and on full heat. I called reception. One of the staff members came and played with the heating at 12:15am.. He couldn’t fix it. I asked to change room which I couldn’t as they were all full (I have no idea how). I was told to open my window, which incidentally was on the first floor of that horrid street I mentioned above.

Thought I’d put the TV on for a while to try and cool down literally hanging out of the window, the remote control was missing, so I didn’t bother.

The room was dirty, dated and damp. There were damp patches in most corners, the bathroom was tiny… The toilet was so close to the wall and shower, one couldn’t actually sit on it. The towels appeared “used” and the finish in the bedroom must have been done by someone who has never worked in wood work in their life.

7am came and an iron was bought to my room at my request, shocker, the iron didn’t work. I called to reception to be told another would be on its way shortly. 10-15 minutes came and went and I called again. Was told again another was on its way only for the same chap who came to look at my heater came to look at my iron. He barged into my room and started playing with the plugs, I assured him I had tried all that but he was adamant he could fix it.

He couldn’t fix it.

When questioned why I couldn’t just have another one he stated that there weren’t any others and that was the only one. I could however wait until 9am if I wished to speak to the manager – good of him, I thought.

Judging by the apparent urine stains all over the ironing board cover it was probably best to go to the office in a creased, at least clean shirt.

I checked out without trying breakfast, I couldn’t stomach it.

In the interest of fairness, the positives: None.

Please for your own hygiene; do not stay at this hotel. It is cheap for a reason.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business