“Lovely place... but could be improved!”

The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel
Ranked #74 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Location: Good, less than 5 minutes to walk to Lancaster Gate, or less than 10 minute walk to paddington. Nice area, safe and quiet.

Hotel Amenities: Parking expensive - £30 per night and £25 per day. The staff were friendly enough, although a few were a little odd ;). The decor is classic in style but very old school London - which we really liked!

We had the executive double room, which was nice although the views that were advertised were absolutely rubbish. The room itself was small, but nicely furnished with a few nice extras. The bathroom was nice and clean although there were issues with the hot water one morning and the toilet made a horrible noise every time it was flushed.
The walls were also extremely thin and you could hear when the neighbours flushed their toilet, had a shower or moved around the room. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable! Best night sleep in a hotel in a long time. Also free internet (but had trouble accessing it in the evening as everyone was online).

To conclude the location was great, all round it was a lovely place, but could be improved in areas to make it perfect.

Room Tip: try not to be on the bottom floor - awful view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you very much for your very valuable comments.
I am sorry the incident with our water boiler affected you on this sunday morning. It was promptly fixed by our maintenance team however I am very much aware that some of our guests were affected. I am also sorry that you were disappointed with the view from your room window. Being a townhouse hotel in the center of London, it is difficult for the surrounding not to affect the views. We always try to keep fresh and well presented flowers for the rooms with less better views.
I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Park Hotel.
Please do contact me directly when you next choose to stay with us and I will personally handle your reservation.

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel. I picked it for its proximity to travel hubs and for its reasonable price. I was very happy with my choice. The hotel is small and the Victorian decor help to make it feel quite intimate.

The hotel is very well situated for the London visitor. It is three minutes from Paddington Tube & Train station, Lancaster Gate Tube Station, and Hyde Park. The hotel is also set back from the street helping to keep it quiet.

I only had breakfast by room service, but it showed correctly up when requested. The front desk staff were quick and helpful.

Overall, it was a great experience. The Royal Park is a great alternative to other nearby hotels that are much more expensive. I would certainly stay there next time I am in London.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Randy S

Thank you very much for your lovely review and I am sure your comments will be helpful to other future visitors.
We look forward to having you back at the Royal Park soon!

Laurent

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel right from just after it opened, only missing a couple of years - I couldn't get a room and for last year, was not in London.
I have always felt it's my home away from home - I know pretty much most of the front-line staff, and have always been made really comfortable.
I booked through Aurelie, and my main contact on this stay was Marketa. It is always a treat to see Rani - and took advantage of the champagne and hor d'oevres in the eveing in the lovely garden! A must! Chris the doorman when I was there was always helpful as was Mark - the front office manager.
This time, I came off a long flight, got in a bit early, and they found me a room so I could have a couple of hours sleep before I had to head out. The air conditioning was so welcome, as London was really hot it was in the middle of a heatwave.
St Mary's is just up the road, so we were all awaiting news of the birth of William and Kate's baby. I went up to have a look and soak up the atmosphere.
This time, I actually had 2 separate stays - the second time, I stayed in the 4 poster bed suite - glorious - I could stay there for most of my stay.
What did I get? Awesome space, bathrobes and comfy slippers, welcome biscuits (cookies), flat screen TV's (2!) luxurious sheets, covers and towels, iPod dock/alarm. The bathroom and toiletries are super nice. The suite had a balcony too - nice feature.
When my sister and kids came to visit me, we arranged parking through Marketa - super easy!
Another great thing about the hotel is it's location - really quiet area, even with Paddington nearby, so you have access to all kinds of things within a 5 min walk. And Lancaster Gate station is close by too.
I just love staying there, and it keeps getting better.

Room Tip: I've always relied on the staff to give me a good room - and they've come through every time...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This review is long over due. We have stayed three times at the Royal Park (July 2008, 2010, 2012). Always a wonderful experience. All three times we arrived early and rooms were not yet ready but we left our bags with the front desk team and ventured out to explore. Rooms are large. Most have a large bathroom, sitting area, and bedroom. They have a safe deposit box in the rooms, fresh baked cookies in your room when you arrive back in the afternoons. They also do a little happy hour in the evenings. Concierge is very helpful with car services and reservations and restaurant recs. Location is perfect, close to Paddington and also Lancastergate. We used Lancastergate more than Paddington. Also close walk to wonderful restaurants and small grocers, there is a wonderful restaurant/bakery nearby that has a nice wine selection (take away).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is in a great location just a five minute walk from Paddington station. Staff is so helpful. Champagne offered every evening at 7pm in the lobby. Breakfast is tasty. Rooms are clean.
We were able to walk to Hyde Park which is 5 minutes away and also easily catch the hop on/off bus tour. Would stay here again.
Nice quiet location.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the descriptions and star ratings for this hotel, I expected more. The bed was very comfy and I slept well, except for it was roasting hot - the air con worked - but if the door to bathroom was even a tiny crack open, the room got overheated. Also, walking into bathroom was like a sauna!! We came back to hotel at about 11pm thinking we could get something to eat from the "night" menu that was in the hotel info book as available between 10:30pm and 5am. We were told no food after 10:30pm. Although breAkfast was Inc in rate, you had to book a table the day before - the cooked breAkfast was not worth extra charge. The continental breakfast was average - but still better than the eggs Tec- pancakes almost inedible. I booked this room on a specific oak 1/2 price offer therefore I gave it an average rating, if I had paid full price, it would have been given a 1 star

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
I am terribly sorry to read that you had a few issues with your stay at the Royal Park Hotel.
I will investigate with our Food and Beverage Manager the reason why you were not served food in the evening as i would like to confirm that we serve room service food and drinks 24hrs.
We are working very hard on improving the food quality on our breakfast buffet and on our cooked dishes menu so I would love to hear your comments in more details.
Please do contact me directly to discuss your recent stay with us more in depth.
I look forward to hearing from you.

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stay at the Royal Park Hotel each time I go into London because of my sister. The times I've reviewed this hotel I've given it an excellent rating. This time, I felt the front desk staff was just unfriendly and unhelpful except for Ronnie. Maybe it's the language barrier but the ladies at the front are always saying "NO". My requests aren't unreasonable yet the negativeness from all the ladies is irritating. I'm seriously considering not staying here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dahlia8
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your very valuable comments.
I am very surprised to read such a negative comment about the front of house team who I have always witnessed to be friendly, helpful and dedicated to our guests.
Please do contact me directly to discuss further as I would like to investigate the issue.
We always thrive to go the extra mile in terms of customer service and I know my team members are sometimes using all their contacts to help our guests with the most unusual requests.
I look forward to hearing from you on lboutonne@theroyalpark.com