“Overall better than I was expecting!”
Review of The Leonard Hotel

The Leonard Hotel
Ranked #288 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Overall better than I was expecting!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stay in London on business fairly regularly and my hotels are usually selected for me by a travel management company used by my client. On a Monday night in July, the usual hotels that I stay in were full and the Leonard Hotel was selected for me because it was close to my meeting venue and it had a single room available, albeit at a fairly high rate.

Having read the Tripadvisor reviews of the single rooms in the hotel, I was fearing a very small and poor quality room.

On arrival I was sceptical. My view did not change when I was told that wifi access was only available at a charge. I was allocated room 20 on the second floor. Arriving on the second floor I did not initially like the position of the room, which was right next to the lift, which in my experience usually means a noisy and disturbed night.

The room was small, and the decoration was tired - especially in the minute en suite shower room which had flaking paint on the walls.

However, there the negative points end. Had I not been staying at the hotel on business I might have been more bothered about the small slightly shabby room. But as it turned out, my stay was pretty good. The biggest plus point of the room was that it had a very good air conditioning cassette which cooled the room well on a hot evening, and I had no rooms adjoining mine. The location of the hotel is excellent - I enjoyed jogging in nearby Hyde Park early evening and again the following morning. The room at the back of the hotel was quiet and I was not at all bothered by the lift outside my door - it was quiet and I did not really hear it. As a consequence, I had a good un-disturbed sleep.

At this point I might have given the hotel an average "3" mark. In the morning, the breakfast was excellent and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. I dislike buffet style breakfasts so it made a welcome change to have a freshly cooked breakfast with good quality ingredients served at my table, with fresh orange juice and good coffee. So overall I give the Leonard Hotel a "4" based on my comfortable one night stay on a hot busy Monday night in July.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was our first visit to London and we enjoyed the very authentic (according to my notions)of typical English atmosphere.The staff were very efficient in helping us find our way thru the busy schedule we had drawn.We were very pleased by the very friendly attitude of all the employees,not only of the reception,but from the bar tenders and waiters too.Well done to all those youths.Keep it up!We'll definitely will be looking to come back once again.
Mr Teo Kuyumdzhiev

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Just waking distance from Oxford Street. Super clean. Staff was friendly. Advise- they have a tie up with a mini cab company for airport pick-ups and drop-offs. It cheaper than hiring a black cab. We didn't have break fast at the hotel cos it just wasn't worth the price. However, what we did do was eat at KFC which was down the road which costed £6.00 for two people.

• Stayed April 2013
Fairport, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a small boutique hotel convenitently located around the corner from Oxford Street.

Parking is available in a nearby carpark, but arrival is difficult as there is nowhere to park close, without breaking the law, to check in first. The hotel had arranged for a discount on the parking charges of which you pay so much to the hotel first ( by credit card) and the remainder also on the card, at the parking station. To be honest I was not sure if this was much cheaper than what was being charged in the area at other car parking stations.

Our room was on the ground floor and was air-conditioned, though this stopped working when we tried to turn it up and adjust the angle of the fan. The room was small and compact, but did have a safe which we prefer.

The bathroom ensuite was a small corridor, so only able to be used by one person at a time, but was functional and they did have plenty of hot water!

Internet was charged for, which I find extremely irritating these days as the charges are over the top for the service you get, I now would rather walk to a Starbucks or other venue where they offer free wifi rather than pay an additional hotel charge for access.

The hotel does offer restaurant facilities, but with the streets of London right outside with all it has to offer, I really do not know why they bother.

Late night drinks at the bar are available, though I did have the gin and tonic spilt over me, and we were asked to move to another seating area, but were still charged for the drink!

Breakfast is not included in the room rate and what is on offer is typical British. However we were the only persons in the restaurant and found we were waiting an extremely long time to first being served and then for the food to turn up. But was nice when it arrived and the protions were large.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Springs to mind when l entered room 16 ,l did reserve a single room but long gone are my student days which this room reminded me of. I have stayed in the past on many occasions at THe Leonard and have thought the hotel full of old world charm and a FANTASTIC location.
What a terrible disappointment after a very long day and journey tired and hungry l was shown to room 16 it was the worst room l have ever stayed in the decoration was old tired and in need of a complete revamp but it was the fact that the toilet was 2 foot from the bed with the small wash hand basin next to it only with a metal sea through hanging so when you laid in bed all you could see was the toilet .
I was so tired l just ordered from room service and then slept before my meeting at 6pm. I told the reception when l went out my thoughts and they said they could move me tomorrow l accepted that .THe next day they moved me to room 30 another single room and that did have a separate toilet ,shower and basin.the room was a mismatch of colours styles and again in need of a full refurbish.
There are dozens of much much better places to stay for the same money as l shall never be returning.
The staff were as helpful as they could be its the management that needs to get the whole place sorted with nasty plastic bushes in the entrance porch to old dusty dried flower arrangements that should have been thrown years .
What a shame but l have my old memories of what it use to be.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mikejames296
London
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice building, great location and nice staff. Room was small but quiet. The one meal I had was OK but nothing special. A great place for a short stay but be careful if you take an offer and pay beforehand. There is absolutely no consideration of a refund if you cut the stay short.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here with my 13 and 15 year old nieces. It was their first trip to London and the location was fantastic for us. So close to Oxford Street (and teenager shopping), tube, access to Dominion Theatre, but very quiet. The one bedroom suite was lovely and perfect for our needs. The staff were very friendly and as a lovely touch we were each given a bottle of water for our trip home. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 34 was perfect forums!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family