“Broom cupboard.”
Review of The Leonard Hotel

The Leonard Hotel
Ranked #325 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Springs to mind when l entered room 16 ,l did reserve a single room but long gone are my student days which this room reminded me of. I have stayed in the past on many occasions at THe Leonard and have thought the hotel full of old world charm and a FANTASTIC location.
What a terrible disappointment after a very long day and journey tired and hungry l was shown to room 16 it was the worst room l have ever stayed in the decoration was old tired and in need of a complete revamp but it was the fact that the toilet was 2 foot from the bed with the small wash hand basin next to it only with a metal sea through hanging so when you laid in bed all you could see was the toilet .
I was so tired l just ordered from room service and then slept before my meeting at 6pm. I told the reception when l went out my thoughts and they said they could move me tomorrow l accepted that .THe next day they moved me to room 30 another single room and that did have a separate toilet ,shower and basin.the room was a mismatch of colours styles and again in need of a full refurbish.
There are dozens of much much better places to stay for the same money as l shall never be returning.
The staff were as helpful as they could be its the management that needs to get the whole place sorted with nasty plastic bushes in the entrance porch to old dusty dried flower arrangements that should have been thrown years .
What a shame but l have my old memories of what it use to be.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mikejames296

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice building, great location and nice staff. Room was small but quiet. The one meal I had was OK but nothing special. A great place for a short stay but be careful if you take an offer and pay beforehand. There is absolutely no consideration of a refund if you cut the stay short.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here with my 13 and 15 year old nieces. It was their first trip to London and the location was fantastic for us. So close to Oxford Street (and teenager shopping), tube, access to Dominion Theatre, but very quiet. The one bedroom suite was lovely and perfect for our needs. The staff were very friendly and as a lovely touch we were each given a bottle of water for our trip home. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 34 was perfect forums!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to London to see my daughter studying. My mom (85) just said ' I come with you"
We had a great time. Hotel is in a great location and they have a very good staff. We had the chance to have an upgraded room... It was just gest for my mom, my daughter (20) and me!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked in having never been to this hotel before, as we were eating out in a restaurant that was nearby, so it was convenient. This was a one night stay over, I was surprised that part of the condition was to take the money for the room up front months before we arrived. NO refunds available for cancellation, so watch out for that one. We had booked a double room double bed, we arrived and were presented with a room in what appeared to be the attic with 2 single beds. After advising this was not what was booked we were advised that some one would be up to push the beds together. We said no and were eventually transferred to another room with a double bed, still in the attic... The furniture and general look was tired and dated and in need of some livening up, basically it needed decorating and new furniture.. Also the bed was so old there was no life in the mattress you could actually feel the springs which creaked and were well worn out. The general guest area was also tired and drab. We did not stay for breakfast as it did not look inviting in fact the whole experience for the price was very disappointing, it is unlikely we will ever go back. The menu was very basic as well so we did not have any lunch there or order room service.This is a bad example of what London has to offer at these prices. The only plus was the location for where we wanted to go..thats it.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the 5th floor you feel like your actually in a closet in the attic....
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Getabout01
Reviewed June 3, 2013

From the title of my review, you can guess that my review of the hotel is neither good nor bad. The location, however, is very convenient.

Stayed here for a weekend for some fun in London.

The pluses:
- As mentioned, the location. Easy to tube stations, Oxford Street buses and only about 15 minutes to Picadilly Circus should you need to get to Heathrow.
- Friendly/helpful staff at the hotel.
- Charming lobby.
- Rooms are of a decent size and the amenities, coffee/tea, free bottled water in the room are nice.

The negatives:
- This place is old and I suppose some of it is old in a charming way, but the room looked beat upon closer inspection. Dirty marked walls and furniture that looks as if it's been tossed about.
- Double room but the bed was small and creaky.
- Climate control was ok...we froze one night but the second was better.
- Bathroom is fine...shower pressure ok.
- Walls are paper-thin. The people staying next to us were having a normal conversation and I could hear every word.
- Wifi is not free and runs about 10 pounds for 24 hours...lame.

Overall, there are LOADS of choices in London and in this area. Nothing to gloat about at this hotel.

Room Tip: 5th floor requires you to take stairs from the 4th...tough for the mobility impaired.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mks4
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night. I booked this hotel, purely because of its location as I was planning to do A LOT of shopping on Oxford Street! Check in was effortless, the room was gorgeous and the staff were very friendly. Excellent hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo