“Modern hotel in good location in a great city”

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Ranked #363 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We recently returned from a trip to London in September- our first visit...We had requested a non smoking room with two twin beds and although they were not guaranteed , we did get our requests- and got a contemporary room. We were unable to check in until 3pm however the front desk called us when the room was ready. The location was great...near it all....right near the Bond Street tube and about a 10 minute walk to Soho. Selfridges (with the largest shoe dept in the world) was 2 blocks away- a must stop of shoe lovers!

The room was small by US standards but adequate and ample for the trip- really didn't spend time in the room ! The bathroom was small (did not look like the website pic), but everything including the room was modern and clean. My one complaint would be that the walls were really thin and one could hear things but it didn't really disturb our sleep unlike other reviewers- the neighbors must have been quiet too. The staff were all nice but not overly helpful with the exception of the concierge- who made dining reservations for us as well as tours e.g tower of london, etc so that we did not have to wait on long lines.

Regarding food: Great pubs in the area, we particularly liked the Punch Bowl,also running horse. We dined at Maze (Gordon Ramsey's) in the hotel which was superb. Recommend afternoon tea at the portrait gallery- the view was spectacular. Must see sites: Westminster, Churchill War Rooms.

Would definitely return to London and this hotel

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 25, 2010

My wife and I chose to stay at Marriott Grosvenor Square due to the excellent location and reasonable reviews the hotel had received. While the location was very good as expected, everything else was a big dissapointment.

The downsides began when we got to our room. When reserving, I had selected King bed from the options. I do realize that this was "not guaranteed", but I assumed the alternative was a queen. I certainly didn't expect a small double bed with the worst mattress I have ever encountered - it was severely slanted, one side being higher and the other notably compressed due to heavy use. The website said "1 King or 1 Queen or 2 Single Beds" - this was none of those. I had also requested a room on a higher level - ours was on the second.

Despite the small bed, there was barely enough room to walk around the bed, let alone open suitcases anywhere (there was a rack, which didn't fit anywhere with even a small suitcase on top). The bathroom door didn't open even half way because it hit the toilet seat. It was probably the smallest room I have ever encountered, and I've stayed at some pretty tiny rooms typical to London, NYC and Tokyo. On the room description, it said "soundproof windows". The windows were actually single-glazed and poorly sealed, letting in a notable draft with outside temperatures near freezing point - certainly not sound proof either.

The minibar was an automatic one, so you can't store anything in it. There was a small sign which said that if you wish to store your own food, you can request a mini fridge. We did this, and were brought a small fridge as my pregnant wife wanted to have some food available if she felt sick, as well as her prescription medication which should be stored in the fridge. However, the only space for it was near the bed, which meant that in order to get to the other side of the bed, you had to climb over the fridge or bed itself. This and the terrible bed taken into consideration, we decided to ask if any of the other room would be larger. I'd like to stress that this is the second time in my life I've found the need to switch rooms, so I don't consider myself very picky.

We were given a new room, which was notably larger, but also seemed to not have been part of the renovation in 2008 - judging by the appareance, I'd say it was 10+ years old. Either way, we had plenty of space now, but when the hotel moved our belongings, they had left the fridge in our old room. I called the reception, and they promised to handle it. an hour later, I called again, talked to a second person who promised to have someone bring it over. In about half an hour we received a call, asking if we had anything in the fridge because they couldn't find it. I told that there was a notable amount of food and a pack of medicine. I'm pretty sure I could hear the receptionist gulp at this point, and she told she'd call me back again.

Needless to say, the contents of our fridge weas never recovered - later on we were brought a new fridge, which was actually the exact same one but empty! I could tell by a large dent on the side of it. My guess was that someone from the housekeeping staff had found the fridge filled with food, decided to take it and toss out the medicine. The food of course was replacable, but my wifes medication was not as it was prescription, and purchased from our home country. This meant that she had to stop the course of medication.

Even without taking this episode into consideration, the hotel was completely inadequate given the ridicilous list price, which for this quality level is expensive even for London. The mattresses were terrible, lighting was poor (no celing light in either room, you had to switch on table lamps when entering or leaving), leaky windows, barely decent water pressure (kept jumping from hot to freezing)... The only positive things were decently friendly reception staff who were very apologetic, and a good location.

Would absolutely not stay here again.

2  Thank DrBeuys
Reviewed November 22, 2010

My husband and I could not fault this superb hotel. Right from the moment you enter the door, the helpfulness and general ambience strikes you. Our room was quiet and very spacious, extremely well fit out,. The room was extremely clean and was serviced promptly each day. In fact, our experience was everything you would expect in a top hotel. On top of this, the location is simply superb. The hotel is around the corner from Oxford Street; right near Bond Street tube station. Cabs are always at the door, also. Highly recommended!!!!!

Reviewed November 21, 2010

We got fed up seeing rooms at no less than £300 a night for central London, so went on to eBookers and came up with this place. We paid £186 for a modern double room, standard grade only, on the second floor. It was right opposite the lifts but in fact that didn't seem to matter, it wasn't noisy. The room was rather small, but we were out and about, so what did that matter. The bathroom was also small, but again, we were only staying for one night, so not a problem. Everything was clean and modern and worked. And the price for that location (excellent for Bond Street etc. and only 15 minute walk into Soho) was really good. Don't know how 'special' our rate was though?

Just one thing. We had a small meal in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant 'Maze'. Two starters only and two glasses of house wine. £45. Okay, I wasn't expecting cheap, but the quality was decidedly indifferent and rather tasteless. I have now eaten at two of his places and really don't get it. I should say that the service there was excellent.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

Someone else said the lobby is odd and they are right. Not a friendly feeling building, actually. The concierge lounge is in the basement with no windows but good internet access. Rooms vary, we had non-renovated one and it was OK. Certainly quiet and a good night's rest. Also perfect location near Hyde Park and Oxford street. We left for another hotel though because it just did not satisfy and we were paying the high London prices. Shakespeare said it well "there is nothing so damning as faint praise"...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank longtimeresident
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Was doing business at the Canadian High Commission so location was ideal. Made good use of the Club lounge which had the facilities one expects from elite frequent flyer lounges at airports plus a full hot breakfast (including smoked salmon to put on my eggs!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Ok it is probably unfair to slate them for one bad night, but we stayed in room 503 and just could not sleep. The whole room shakes and squeaks like a train. We called at 1.30am and someone came up to see what the problem was. He already knew what it was - just noises coming from the walls. At 2am we were offered to move to another room or they could send up ear plugs?!!! We did not want the hassle of packing up so just tried to sleep.

They should use the room as a store room and never let guests stay in it. Very poor for £200.