“Does the job but is below expectations”

Millennium Hotel London Mayfair
Ranked #424 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London
“Does the job but is below expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

The hotel entrance, lobby & main bar are very nice and create a great initial impression. Unfortunately once your outside of those areas this hotel is tired, old & run of the mill. If you just need somewhere to stay it does the job but there is nothing special about it which is a shame considering the location.

Where it did let itself down was in the bar where the bar staff were openly & loudly discussing how unhappy they were with the hours they had been allocated for the Xmas period and I twice had to interrupt to be served. The other annoying aspect was that the room had no 'do not disturb signs' and 5 times on the Sunday morning someone tried to enter my room to clean it despite me telling them each time I was still there and checking out the day.

If they improved their staff training & tried a little harder with the overall decor this could be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure they have 'do not disturb' signs if you want a lie in.
1 Thank GMN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We met our friend who was staying here for a drink on Friday night. We arrived around 8:15 & entered the main bar which was shocking. It was full of a mixture of drunk city types & out of towners leching & lurching. We felt sorry for a couple of sophisticated ladies in the corner looking dumbfounded watching this circus.
We left and went to the quieter restaurant bar. It was comfortable and quiet but that's it with the positives. The service was appalling - the waiter spilt drinks on more than one occasion, spent about 15 mins bringing one order (whilst shouting 'one minute' every time we caught his eye) & ignored my request for less ice in my cocktail. When I queried why he said that he'd asked the barman...
We felt that the cocktails were weak - couldn't taste the gin in my Negroni - & way overpriced at £11-£13 for what they were.

We won't be returning.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lenboy_9
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I'm a frequent traveller across the world and stay in London hotels frequently, however, I had a most extraordinary experience at this hotel that wouldn't have happened in the worst places I stay... which include the DR Congo!

My company had prepaid the hotel and when arriving late I decided to have a drink in the bar; I had two drinks costing a total £20. When I had finished I signed the bill, wrote my room number and went to my room. Whilst brushing my teeth I received a call saying I had not paid and my room was room only. No problem, I said I had a breakfast meeting and would settle up in the morning.

Sometime later I was woken up by the Manager(?) Ben standing in my room with all the lights on saying I must pay. This was 0130! Apparently they had knocked and when no reply - remember I was asleep - they broke in with included taking the chain off the door.

I am sorry but an utter disgrace! I could not believe it. There were so many other ways to have gone about this oversight such as a note under the door to pay in the morning or, as explained, simply add to my breakfast bill. To break into my room and wake me up in the early hours is something I would never expect or imagine as being acceptable.

My company take 120 nights a year at hotels around Mayfair. As CEO of the company I have instructed all departments never to put another person in the Millennium London Mayfair. Further I have reported the incident to our travel booker and ask them to do the same.

Disgraceful!!

Room Tip: Don't stay
3 Thank thomvb
KarenTurner, Executive Assistant at Millennium Hotel London Mayfair, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay at the Millennium Hotel London Mayfair.

We are concerned to read the issues you have raised and would very much like to discuss them with you.

We would therefore be most obliged if you could contact our Operations Manager, Andre Venter, by email: andre.venter@millenniumhotels.com to arrange a mutually convenient time for him to telephone you.

Yours sincerely
Cheshire, U K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

The location of this hotel is great 5 mins to Oxford Street and to Bond Street tube station....the hotel is lovely we stayed in a Superior Plus room on the second floor which overlooked Grovesnor Square which was fabulous ... we arrived early and were able to check in immediatley.The room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom was also immaculate.All of the staff in every area were helpful and friendly will definatley return

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Me and my fiance went for afternoon tea here and LOVED it. We have been for afternoon tea in many places but this was by far the best. Firstly, the staff were EXCEPTIONAL. They were so friendly, helpful and chatty. They made us feel very welcome and at ease. The china was beautiful, the tablecloths and cutlery etc were immaculate. I don't normally go into so much depth but everything was sparkling. The atmosphere was relaxed but classy. We loved it and will be going back again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Third time staying at this hotel. Great location for the Grosvenor as within walking distance. Lovely square to walk in to take in the morning air. Staff wonderfully accommodating & keen to please. My daughter joined us for breakfast although not staying at the hotel they let her eat with us free of charge. Rooms are comfy enough & well equipped. Please oh please put in a decent light bright enough to put your make up on!!!
Kir Royale in a comfy chair in the lounge bar is a treat, sit back & enjoy the city at this lovely London getaway

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet some larger than others but they are happy to move you if they can
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in a great part of London. Public areas were all very nice and the double room I had on the first floor was a nice size but starting to look tired. The room was clean but showing signs of wear and tear. Usual issues, no central light controls which made hunting behind furniture for light switches a pain when I arrived in the dark. Air conditioner very noisy and ineffective. Switched it off in the end. Breakfast the usual lazy option of Luke warm bacon and eggs from those trays with rotating lids. For the price, one would expect it cooked fresh. Staff friendly. Overall, I've had better stays in cheaper hotels in worse locations. Shame.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business