“Great location but......!”

Millennium Hotel London Mayfair
Ranked #441 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Not my first stay here and I had hoped the rooms would have undergone a much-needed refurbishment, but they haven't. Housekeeping is badly-trained and leaves much to be desired: The drinking glasses in the room were changed the first day, and subsequently all used glasses remained as is, until I asked the maid to please do it, and she replied that I should ask room service to do it (but she did do it that day!) The bathroom never seemed properly cleaned, and I requested housekeeping as well as the very pleasant staff at Reception on 3 occasions to have the drainage in the washbasin rectified as it would fill up while being used, and look very unpleasant, but nothing was done for the entire time I was there which was over a week. Towels are removed after using but not always replaced, water stains or any other spills aren't cleaned on the washbasin counter, glasses on the counter taken away and not replaced......and the list goes on!! . The beds are comfortable and thankfully the linen was changed regularly. Rooms are small but fine for 1-2 people.
I imagine Wi-fi is crazily expensive anywhere in London, but GBP 10 per day, or GBP 5 for half an hour in the Business Centre seems excessive even in this city!
But.... the location is unbeatable and I must admit my earlier stays here were much better in terms of cleanliness. I was there during a heatwave and airconditioning in my room was extremely effective.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Grosvenor Sq are better in terms of view and their soundproofing is very effective
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Maxtango
Write a ReviewReviews (2,115)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great staff and service, and location is fantastic, but broken shower doors, worn carpet and older beds/furniture lessen the value of the money you'll have to spend to stay here. The fish and chips from room service, however, is some of the best I've ever had!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Paddy719
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely ambience and spectacular service, this hotel deserves all the kudos!
Upon entering the staff greeted us and offered this weary traveler a glass of fruit flavoured water.
The room was perfectly appointed and room-service was prompt.
This is the perfect destination for a London weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Mimi H
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Couldn't have askedfor a better location in central london. Rooms are slightly smaller but totally manageable. Staff are excellent, very helpful. In fact booking.com. made a blunder with our booking but the hotel guys gave us a free upgrade. It houses some excellent restaurants , especially Avista - the Italian one. Our six yr old also enjoyed the stay however activities for little ones are few within the premises. Overall we had a wonderful experience. Slightly on the expensive side though.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zubyzubyzuby
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel twice, last time this August with my family.
Good choice if the one needs the hotel in quite place but in the heart of London. Close to main shopping areas.
The service quality is ok in general, but the check in staff is not much friendly and customer friendly. The room was ok, but had very poor view, though we asked reasonably in advance the room with normal view.
The Italian Avista restaurant in the hotel and the Japanese restaurant, Shogun, which is located at the back entrance of the hotel are a good place to dine in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ninucia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Struggled to find a hotel at short notice so ended up here. The nightly rate was expensive (thank goodness I was only here for 2 nights) & the room was very small & up in the top of the hotel. Didn't have a view & the windows were very dirty. However the room was quiet & reasonably appointed.
I arrived by taxi expecting a concierge or doorman to help with me my luggage but there was no one there so I struggled with it myself. However on checkout the concierge could not have been more helpful. Another down side is the fact that wi-fi is extra. I HATE this as did another guest who was complaining loudly at the front desk.
I did not eat here so cannot comment on the food.
I would probably stay here again as the location is great but there are more reasonably priced hotels in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DottyCazza
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel since 1997 regularly. The staff ar par excellence at all levels with Nic Lander heading which I can safely state the best concierage anywhere in the worl. oliver , Selem in Club lounge are exceptional. The beds are comfortable. My only gripw is with room service food quality. It's atrocious. A hotel can make extra money if room service is excellent as especially in winter months people prefer to dine in. I would strongly reccommend the management to address this matter asap.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family