“Just Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #428 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Let me start by saying that I read many reviews and I was hoping I wouldn't be disappointed. It was a great 4 star hotel with 5 star service. We arrived by taxi and the doorman was there opening the door for us. Check in took about 5 minutes. We were on the fourth floor and had a room with a king size bed, sofa, desk, flat screen tv, nightstands with lights, and a chest of drawers. The carpet was like new and the linens immaculate. the bed itself was oh so comfortable. The bathroom was large with a heated towel rack, large tub/shower, a magnifying mirror on an arm, and the regular toiletries. Again, the bathroom was very clean but I must say that the towels were huge and the best quality that I've used in all my travels.
The view from our room was the other side of the hotel but it was not a concern because we left in the morning and returned late. I am really not concerned about views unless I intend to spend a lot of time in the room.
The breakfast was very plentiful and well worth it. There was the regular hot foods of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, and hashbrowns. You can order any kind of eggs and toast and they will prepare them for you at no extra charge. They had a cold cereal and yogurt table as well as a hot cereal with toppings table. They had a bread table and cold cuts table and my favorite the croissant and flaky pastry table. Once seated the waiter will take your order for coffee, tea or specialty coffees. Just delicious.
Kudos go to the concierge at this hotel especially Tiernan. We had our flights cancelled due to hurricane Sandy and he helped us through the chaos. His recommendations throughout the stay were wonderful.
There were two charming bars in the hotel and a comfortable lobby. It was just a lovely stay and I would highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We booked this hotel through booking.com and despite special requests to be on a high floor
(including repeated requests t check in), we were given a room on the first floor with a view of the boiler room! The room ( junior suit because we were travelling with our two children) was good sized and with a nice bathroom, however on friday night, it was quite literally rocking with blasting party music from the ballroom below! The next day, we complained to management and thanks to duty manager Asam Ali's personal initiative, we were moved to a bigger suite on the fifth floor. This was good, but the suite on the fifth floorwas incredibly dated. Housekeeping was really bad, not remembering to change towels and throwing our nightgowns around the room, to be found anywhere but on the bed! Breakfast was exactly the same every day, served by a nice team at the downstairs restaurant, but with a very bad attitude team upstairs on the seventh floor "executive" lounge. And to top it all off, on saturday night at 4 am, the fire alarm went off: the entire hotel went down to the lobby in pyjamas to betold by some security guy (no management personnel in sight) that a guest had pulled the alarm and there was no fire!! Some believed him, some did not... It was incredible!... And there was no apology the next day either... The only consistently good service provider in the hotel was the concierge. Would we stay here again? Not sure, but the location was really good...

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room if you do not want to party all night!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KenyaTraveller70
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Central location. Check in quick and easy.
Room on the 1st floor overlooking the square, adequate but very dark furniture.
Bathroom a bit dated and very very small.
Fire evacuation at 2am was shambolic with staff nowhere to be seen and people wandering corridors in their pyjamas. Luckily it was just a drunk guest who set of the alarm and not a real fire.
Breakfast excellent and staff very attentive.
So apart from being bleary eyed from lack of sleep not a bad stay!!

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank dollygirl
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here for two nights with a travel zoo offer.Our room was very good and clean.The breakfast was very good. The service was up to five star standard.I find it difficult to find fault with this hotel,and at the offer price we paid,difficult to match in a hotel of this standard in this part of London.We walked through the park to Harrods.Oxford St is a two minute walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DennisCardiff
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for three nights on business and didn't choose the hotel myself (the meeting was at the hotel). The checkin staff was nice enough and said that they have "a nice room for me". Well, the whole problem with the place was that room: it was dark and dingy, with worn out furniture and a tired bathroom. The whole place made me feel that I walked into a previously nice hotel which hasn't been maintained over the years. The room really wasn't nice and small too. The bar downstairs, on the other hand, was a great place to have a drink and sit in huge armchairs. It was fun and lively and I enjoyed my time there. Then back into the depressing room. I should have asked to change but never did, instead I am writing a poor review...ask next time? Well, there will be no next time for me there. Not a great experience.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Garak
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

When your booking this hotel you cant help but think you are getting a bargain as it is in Mayfair. However this certainly is not five star standard as you would expect in this area. I stayed here 2 weeks ago and when we arrived at the hotel my partner and I were like wow before we even got in. You have the typical setting outside are the Rolls Royces, Jags, Bentley cars etc and when you enter the hotel I have to say it is beautiful. However the room is so out of date its such a shame for the place. I really didn't appreciate the sliding bathroom door which does not close properly, no privacy what so ever. However a nice comfy bed. The best aspect to this place is its restaurant and bar. £25 pound for a 6 course meal at the restaurant and the food really was fantastic and I'm quite a fussy eater and the surroundings are fantastic also. So after we had our meal we wanted to head out to a club in Mayfair but we just simply couldn't as we heard jazz booming out of the bar. 2 AM later and I can quite honestly say the evening was perfect and the staff are great too. So overall a good hotel with the best facilities and entertainment but rooms need updating. Would return only for the entertainment and restaurant.

Room Tip: Go to the Jazz bar.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JWS1991
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here last week, having not visited for about 4 years. What a shame!!! I had very fond memories of the hotel and was initially pleased to be back. The guy on reception was great and he actually upgraded my room. However, how disappointed was I when I opened the door. The room was big but on closer inspection it is desperately tired, the furniture was chipped and scuffed. There was a shower curtain over the bath - one of my pet hates - they should not be allowed - disgusting things and so unhygenic!! I didn't really feel that for the price I paid for 2 bedrooms was justified. We stay in London a lot and get better value for money I believe at the Melia Whitehouse - however the service there is dire - another review I think.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business