“One Night was Fine.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #541 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Bath, United Kingdom
“One Night was Fine.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had a work trip in London and a room was booked for me. The hotel is at a reasonably safe and pleasant area (Pimlico), not far from Victoria. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. However the walls and doors seem a bit flimsy. Whenever a door of any room closes I could hear that, and that stayed the same constantly through the night, and I was woken up at 4.30am due to a room door closing. I probably won't stay at this hotel again because of that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Always receive excellent and considerate service when I visit this hotel. The staff are very polite and efficient. Check in is fast and the staff. Breakfast is simple but good. Will be back soon. Unfortunately I have been unable to book this week as the hotel is full. Having to stay at a competitor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

One night in this hotel was enough. It was one of the hottest nights of the year, and my single bedroom at the front of the hotel was one of the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in. It faced the street, was extremely noisy and, with no air conditioning, was like a small furnace. The original sash windows are very attractive, but wouldn't stay open so I had to ask the receptionist to fix it for me (which she did). They thoughtfully provide a fan, but it was fighting a losing battle against the heat. On the plus side, the bed was comfy and with good white linen. The bathroom though was something else; the toilet was so high my feet couldn't touch the ground (I'm an average 5'4") and with the door open there was barely room to turn round. The corner basin was smaller than anything I've seen, too small to even wash your face in. The shower was adequate, not the strongest I've ever had but not the worst. There are toiletries and - unusually - bar soap provided, but the towels are clearly made for an average-size 12-year-old, and nowhere near adequate for an average size adult. I was meeting a friend in the city that night and the receptionist was very helpful in giving me directions to the restaurant. The next morning, breakfast was a sad affair; the usual cheap croissants, boxed cereals, commercial and tasteless juices, coffee out of a thermos, plastic ham and cheese slices. There was no butter, only margarine - the butter had run out and my request for some was met with irritated mumblings from the waitress. I left, fairly fast. This is a budget hotel, whose 3-star rating is somewhat generous. The staff are very pleasant and friendly, and the sheets clean, but there is little else to recommend it. It's a good 15 minute walk from Victoria coach and train station, and though I work in Victoria and needed somewhere convenient for this one night, I certainly won't stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 207, at the front of the hotel. The road is noisy, and because it was so hot I had...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Shani E

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Easley, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is near Victoria Station, which makes it convenient for getting around the city. Of course, it isn't really close to Victoria Station. It is at a distance that makes it annoying to walk to the station when you are tired.

The room I stayed in was very small. Not enough room to put a suitcase down and the noise from the street is a bit much until later at night when it quiets down. They did provide a fan which was essential as there is no AC and it was very hot! The bed was not comfortable and the pillows were extremely flat and not soft at all.

I did not have the breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Wireless was free, but very poor. It was not strong enough for a skype call as it kept dropping the call.

The hotel is overpriced for what you get. I would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having read the reviews on here before booking this hotel, it was pretty much what I expected, which is to say that its a perfectly serviceable place to stay for a brief visit to London. It has a pretty good location, near Victoria Station and the hotel and rooms are clean and appear to be well maintained. We did not interact with the staff much at all and so can not comment other than to say that they seemed to be pleasant and helpful. The breakfast is a continental style and was good, although we only had it one of the four mornings that we were there. The biggest challenges with this hotel are the size of the rooms and the fact that there is no Air Conditioning. As all of the reviews on here note, the rooms are quite small, but again, our room was clean and we were only there to sleep and so didn't mind the room size. The lack of AC was a bit of a challenge though. Considering London's weather, I doubt that its usually much of an issue, but while we were there London happened on a stretch of quite warm sunny weather and the room got pretty stuffy. With an open window and by using the included fan, it was manageable, although I do wish the cleaning staff would leave the window open after they finish cleaning the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Daventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I was booked into the BW Corona by a travel agency for a single night business stay. It was the worst value overnight I have ever had. The rate precharged was higher than the displayed rack rate, which seems to flex by the hour... Although unable to offer any compromise, the guy on reception did at least try to help - he must get a lot of one-night guests who don't believe what they find on arrival.

I was initially allocated to a room in the basement - sorry, 'Lower Ground' floor. With a sash window that had no security, I was not content to sleep in the stuffy, airless box at risk of being joined by bad folk in the small hours. Then I was offered sight of a room on the 3rd floor which was a cunning wrap-around design, hugging two sides of the lift shaft, so you got to feel every vibration and hear every squeek. Finally a 2nd floor room was offered. Handilly, I'd left my acrobatic cat back home so there was no need for swinging room. The bed was soft, the facilities basic, the floor creaky and in the 'compact' shower cupboard, there was a basin of miniscule proportions. Oh, and the wifi was presumably only free because of the awful signal.
Breakfast was very ordinary, with stale croissants, some meagre plates of processed meat and cheese and a range of children's cereal packets on offer. Coffee was plain - but there was a kind offer to specially make an espresso or capuccino.....at extra cost.

Ah, that brings me to cost. All this was charged at the bargain basement rate of £190. No, don't mistake me - that wasn't to buy the lease, or even rent for the week. That was for just one night. An absolute rip-off in a 1-2* venue. Best Western must have rather lowered their standards. We live and learn.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank 27kwai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Tiny rooms. No air. Rude desk personnel, with no greeting, no offers to help with anything. Tried to charge my wife 2 pounds for toll-free call. Rude desk clerk. You can do much better for the price. AVOID.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family