“Well worth the price!”

Ranked #625 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Dossenheim, Germany
“Well worth the price!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Did quite some research before deciding on this hotel in London. This was my first trip to London and didn't know what to expect from a London hotel. Reading the other reviews on here I got the impression that the rooms were very small. I have to say that yes, the rooms aren't spacious, but they do fit large suitcases and the guests who're staying quite well. The space isn't a problem, unless you're going to have a party in the room. That would be quite intimate.

The biggest plus of the room is the bathroom. It looks modern and fancy and is completely clean. Some rooms have bathtubs, while others only have shower. I prefer the latter one, but we got the first one. Not that big of a deal.

The room also has a working air conditioner, and during our stay it was quite hot outside, so being able to go to a cool tempered room was awesome.

The pillows you get to use are very good and comfortable - so are the beds and the duvets. The room also has a desk and a tea set so you can make tea. It also has a flatscreen TV, but we didn't use it.

The room was on the third floor, and even though the window was on the road-side of the hotel, we didn't hear anything. We didn't hear any noises from the other guests either.

The biggest letdown is the hotel's Internet connection. While it works pretty much all the time in the reception, it tends to drop out every now and then if you use it in your room. People don't stay at this hotel to have LAN-parties, but The Cromwell should've made an effort to sort this matter out.

Since the hotel is just next to Gloucester Road Underground Station, it's hardly a matter getting to and from Oxford Street for instance.

The hallways of the hotel are somewhat narrow, but it's okay, what the hotel should do is to put up more signs, as it's a little bit easy to get lost if you don't use the elevators.

The last thing I'd like to say is that the people working here are awesome and helpful. We felt well taken care of and we felt very welcome here.

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AndreasHaldorsen
AndreLondon_England, Deputy General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your positive feed back about your hotel.
I am delighted to learn that you find our rooms spacious, cool and comfortable. You positive comments about the cleanliness of the rooms and bathroom will be passed on to our housekeeping team. Also glad that you find our pillows and beds comfy for a good nights rest.
Our locations is a big plus for all our guests with lots of activity in the area.
We looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future!
Andre Botha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Positive Points: welcoming staff and reception area

Negative Points: outweigh the positive points booked a standard double given a room on the 5th floor lift only goes up to the 4th floor hence 2 flights of stairs which keep u fit. limited space certainly not a room for 2...designers didn't do a great job as I found myself knocking my head with the window.To make matters worse Wifi reception on that particular floor is non existent hence it meant going down to reception all the time

Strange that after a month of travelling the 2 hotels which didn't rise to the occasion belonged to Best Western....for the rate this particular co charges I would think twice to stay with them again although I have been a customer for over 10 years

Room Tip: Not on the 5 Floor....if 2 do not book a standard double
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank csant
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

We did had problems with the WIFI in the hotel which now has been sorted.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. On this occasion please put a special request in your booking not to allocate a room on the 5th floor.

ENGLAND
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is a moments walk from Gloucester Road tube station in central London and is right on the Piccadilly, Circle and District tube lines. We booked the hotel because of it's location to the museums. We wanted to get rid of our luggage and approached reception before the actual check in time, our room was ready and we was given our keys.
I stayed here with my husband for one night and we found the hotel to be in the perfect location for us, very clean, well equipped and considering we was on the ground floor exceptionally quiet. The only slight down side is the cost of drinks at the bar, my husband paid £9 for just two vodka and lemonades!! He said make this last !!
The breakfast was good, very helpful waiters, attentive and always filling up the breakfast bar and refilling the coffee (excellent!)
Thank you The Cromwell, we will definitely come back soon.

Room Tip: We had room 651, as it was my first visit if i could be really picky then i'd say the window was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lilac30
AndreLondon_England, Deputy General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest
I am delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us!
Your positive comments about the staff, reception and breakfast team will sure light up their day.
Thank you very much it is much appreciated.
We looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel again.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 25, 2013

You will be hard pressed to find a hotel that is in a better location for the value. It is just a couple minute walk to the Gloucester Road tube station where you can catch the Piccadilly, Circle, and District lines. As in most of London you are in easy walking distance to a variety of pubs and restaurants. There is a Tesco Express a couple minutes away that is open 24/7 as well as a Waitrose supermarket right across the road. There is also a Boots Pharmacy across the road.

The staff is nice and helpful and the service was great. I had a problem with the wifi my first night, but the staff had it sorted out reasonably quickly.

As I had read prior to booking, the room was quite small. With the bed and desk there was just enough room for my two luggage bags. However, it was enough room and the size of the room really didn't matter as much since, other than sleeping, I spent very little time at the hotel.

One thing I would warn is that my room was on floor number five and the elevator only goes to four. This wasn't an issue for me, but it is just a warning for those who may have trouble with stairs. The staff did help me with my luggage to my room.

If you don't mind a smaller room this is a great hotel in a great location for a great price. I will certainly consider staying here again if I ever return to London.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking up stair I would avoid the fifth floor as the elevator service stops on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Daniel M
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for you review about our hotel. It is always good to read that people enjoyed their stay with us!
Your kind response about our staff will be passed on to them and is much appreciated.
We trust that we will see you again soon!
Arnold, Maryland
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel has nice rooms of a decent size. We stayed at the hotel at the beginning and at the end of our UK visit and found both rooms clean, well-equipped, and quiet. The hotel was in the process of some renovations, but the staff limited the disruption to guests, and we never had a problem with noise. The hotel is just minutes from the tube, a post office, shopping, and pubs. We would definitely choose the Cromwell again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lar010
Nichola R, General Manager at Best Western The Cromwell, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate that you took the time to post details of your recent stay with us.

It is a pleasure to read that each time you have stayed at our hotel you have had an enjoyable experience and I can assure you that the next time will be no different. I would like to thank you for spreading the word of our fantastic hotel throughout the TripAdvisor community and I will ensure that we always have a room available for you when you visit London.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Take Care,
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel has a great location with a 2 minute walk to the tube station. We took the Piccadilly line from the airport and saw the hotel as we exited the station. We heavily utilized the metro as we traveled across London, seeing as much as we could. There is also a market across the street and many restaurants, coffee shops and pubs within a block of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with suggestions for the area. Many of them are younger students who perhaps English is not their first language but we had no difficulties. Our room was cozy, we had to open the door to have enough room for an open suitcase and iron a shirt but the bath is modern and updated so we were happy. Only issues were technical problems. The wifi does not reach the 5th floor, or at least for our devices and the lift stopped working when we checked out. Asked for help and it was happily given. Breakfast was convenient in the basement but we found a better option was sitting outside at one of the many coffee shops across from the tube station. Good value for the $$.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JBuckeye
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you were very comfortable in your accommodations and that the location was perfect for your needs. I would like to thank you for the positive feedback you have provided with regards to the friendliness of team. I shall certainly pass on your comments for them to read.

We hope you will come and stay with us once again in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Ingolstadt, Germany
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our room was very spacious, espcially for hotels in London this was a nice surprise. The room was also very quiet as it faced the side of the building. The bed was very comfortable and the room was fully equipped with everything needed.
Breakfast was good, typical enlish and with very good croissants.
the hotel is in a very good neighborhood, a supermarket is right across the street, several bars and coffee shops as well and the tube is just around the corner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jkfs111
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you have provided with regards to your recent stay.

I am glad that you found your room spacious and suitable for your needs. I was also pleased to read that you found the quality of the food in our breakfast room to be of a superior standard which was equally matched by the service in which it was received.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.