“Good location, helpful staff, small rooms”

BEST WESTERN The Cromwell
Ranked #597 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Berlin
“Good location, helpful staff, small rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is only a short walk from Gloucester Road tube station and the museums in South Kensington (V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum) are also very near. The room we had was small, not much space to move around. The bathroom was more spacious in comparison. The wifi was slow but free, the TV really old fashioned (only 9 channels). I´d still recommend this hotel, because for the location it is good value (London is an expensive place to stay) and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good enough and served until 11 a.m., which is very nice if you don´t like to get up early.

Room Tip: Rooms with the room number 800upwards are in the basement, 400s are on the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trvl01
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us, and found our rooms clean, team and location to be suitable to your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Take Care,
Nicki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for about 5 nights for business.
I really enjoy the location although it is not in the heart of London the tube is 50mts away.
Room was impecable albeit quite small.
Wifi was quite slow but it was free (since this was a business trip I rather pay and have a fast connection).
Would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to express my thanks for taking the time to write this review and sharing your experience at our hotel. I am pleased we were your choice of stay during your business trip in London.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Kind Regards,
Cambridge, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel Sept. of this year and did not enjoy our stay. The opening to the hotel was dingy with kicked back carpet and dirty walls.The staff were not very welcoming as they said "Well, where are we going to put you?" It did not make us feel like we were being cared for, thats for sure. We hiked up a few flights of steep stairs and found our little room. We opened the door to a match stick small room with hardly any room to walk around the bed. The walls were marked up, and the bedspread looked tired. The sheets were clean and soft, but i smelt the pillow...must++. I woke up every morning with a sore throat, and i'm sure it was from the horrible musty smelling pillow!! The bathroom was great though; clean, adequately sized, with good water pressure and facilities. Overall the staff was just "okay". We never felt as if we were being looked after. For the money, this was not worth the stay. We certainly will not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding both the cleanliness and the service you received during your stay with us. These are both areas the hotel prides itself in and for which we normally receive positive comments. I have taken note of your points you raised and communicated to our Management Team to look into making improvements wherever appropriate.

I do hope you will visit us again to give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence.

Kind Regards
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at the hotel a number of times whilst on business. 3 or 4 steep steps up to the hotel so not ideal if you have heavy luggage or a disability but the reception staff are very friendly and helpful so I am sure they would come to your rescue.

All the rooms I have had have been adequate although sadly there seems to be a shortage of rooms with a bath. However, they are very well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities (and biscuits!), hair dryer, a few complimentary toiletries and a safe.

Breakfast is what you would expect - fruit and yoghurts, hot food (bacon, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns, beans etc), toast and pastries. Only downside is that you are served coffee by the cup and have to attract the attention of the staff for a refill.

Location wise, it is just across the road from Gloucester Road tube station so is great for public transport. And its not far to walk to Knightsbridge if you have money to spend in Harrods and Harvey Nicks. But more importantly, as a lone female traveller, the hotel is just across the road from Waitrose, a food supermarket. They sell hot, cooked chickens to take away and also have a "meal deal" which tends to be something with rice. A saviour for when I don't want to go out and eat on my own.

1 Thank Jane D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and providing us with feedback on your recent stay with us at the Best Western The Cromwell. I am glad to hear that your experience was a positive one, made so by our ideal location in the heart of Kensington and our friendly staff who strive in making each guest’s stay an enjoyable one.

We hope to see you on your next visit to London.

Take Care
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here last week having stayed round the corner last week ( Harrington Hall was fully booked this time ). It immediately feels smaller and the public areas are very limited - but if you don't plan spending any great time at the hotel that's not important.

My room was small as was the bathroom - but the latter was very nicely done out with good fittings , a generous shower and strong lighting. Although small ( very small if there had been two of us ) the bed was comfortable and the little balcony looking over trees would have been great in summer. WiFi did indeed seem to be intermittent as others have noted.

The location close to Gloucester Road tube with all its shops and restaurants makes this a great area to stay in and at the right price I would stay again

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms have balcony overlooking trees
1 Thank Flynn59
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and sharing your experience at our hotel.

Best Western The Cromwell is rated a 4 star Guest Accommodation as we have limited facilities. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us, and found our rooms and bathrooms suitable to your needs.

We are excellently located in terms of tourist attractions, transport methods, restaurants and bars.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for business for 2 nights after the Crowne Plaza next door was full.

Decent enough, nice rooms (if a little small) with most of the things you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Gym was appreciated, even if it was a little small.

Would not choose this over its neighbour, but at less than half the price you cannot complain.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and four star review.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us, and found us to be good value for money. I am also pleased that our location was suitable to your needs. The hotel is located in the perfect position for both the business traveller and tourist.

Wishing you a great day!

Kind Regards
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This Best Western is very musty. I was put in a room in the basement, which had very spotty wifi and a terrible musty smell. I could not get the smell out of my system. I could not open the window to get the smell out. so I had to buy an air fresher to spray the room. The location is good and the staff was pleasant and helpful, but if i had not pre-paid I would have checked out. When I asked about the wifi or lack there of, they said it was working just fine and handed me a cable for my laptop.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
1 Thank Leo1211
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with interior of the hotel and I have noted the points you have raised with the conditions in your room. I have forwarded these onto our maintenance team to investigate.

I hope you will visit us again to give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence. I look forward to welcoming back.

Yours sincerely,