I booked two weeks in advance and got a standard twin for my nine year old daughter and I for £197 two nights with full breakfast. I was pleased. We got to the hotel at noon. Our room had been allocated but wasn't ready. I checked our light baggage and we headed off to Kensington High St tube. Under 20 mins to the West End with just one change. On your return, when you exit the ticket turnstiles, turn left and immediate left before Boots and there is an exit that leads to the service alley. There is a footpath that leads directly to the hotel without going all the way around the station building. Locally, Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers is a 5 minute walk as is Kensington Palace. There is a Tesco Metro in the High St nearby in case you run out of tonic for your gin.
The hotel is dated from the outside but huge, modern and stylish in the lobby. All marble and brass. Very "chain" but well maintained. There are five lifts which are fast. Corridors are tasteful.
Our room (823) was newly renovated. Here are the pluses; comfy beds, good bedding, spare blankets and pillows, iron and board, mirrors, 40 inch flat Samsung tv, sockets near the bed to charge your phone (hooray! At last!). Loads of storage. Great shower, big towels, free bath stuff.
The minuses; loo flush temperamental, tap temperature can stick on hot (how???!!!), no safe (deposit boxes at Guest Services), air-con overly complicated, noisy and not that effective, minor noise on the back of the property from trains at the back even on the eighth floor,very poor room to room soundproofing. I could hear the neighbour's entire conversation one morning! Luckily it wasn't in English!
Breakfast was good. All the usual options plus sticky rice and noodles. Tables for two are FAR TOO CLOSE TOGETHER to the point of being uncomfortable. An older lady in a suit seated us in the Buggis St Chinese restaurant opposite the main room as it was busy. The table was awful. I asked to move and she muttered something about being busy. I said I wanted at least a modicum of privacy. She tried to shove us into the darkest depths of the main dining room where you needed to be a size six contortionist to reach the table. Eventually we were sat by the bar and still virtually on the laps of the people next to us. Coffee was plentiful but of average quality. Food was good, hot and well replenished except for the scrambled eggs which were e-number hell and appeared very artificial and sloppy.
I'm probably sounding a bit negative by now so let me re-assure you; if you can get this hotel for under £100 a night with breakfast then it is spotlessly clean, quite pleasing inside, comfortable and close to the tube. There are some minor issues.
When we checked out and checked our bags in for free to be collected that night. This was a big bonus. However, when we returned the Guest Services was unmanned. We stood in line as one if the doormen in a bowler hat served someone else then afterwards he just blanked us and went back outside. Just not good enough. Another manager served us but we had to stop him in passing and confusion reigned for a few minutes.
Please stay here. It is good but it is a chain and as such, some staff are excellent, others were having a bad day.
Would I go back? Yes. Definitely but only for under £100.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Copthorne Tara Hotel offers the ideal location to stay in London whether you are travelling on business or leisure. Whilst it is easily accessible from the M4 with Heathrow Airport only 30 minutes drive, Olympia Exhibition Centre is only a 5-minute journey by car, and the Westfield Shopping centre just 10 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copthorne Tara Kensington
- Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington England