“Mediocre experience due to other guest but good value if you have a budget”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #466 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Liverpool
“Mediocre experience due to other guest but good value if you have a budget”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is just around the corner from Kensington High Street Tube - I had no choice but to choose this hotel as I have an expenses budget for work and London was busy this particular week. I needed to get to Mayfair which is a pain on this line, but if your on holiday its a more authentic area of London from which to use as a base for exploring.

Check in was quick enough but it does get extremely busy. The room I was given was on the 1st Floor and in terms of cleanliness it was good, décor is dated but no major wear or tear issues. People have moaned in other reviews about the Tube line which is outside some of the rooms - I am an exceptionally light sleeper and the Tube noise didn't really bother me.

My major issue with this hotel is its clearly popular with organisations having conferences - the bar was full earlier that evening with them all drinking. At 1.30am I was woken up by a woman cackling and howling at the top of her lungs in the corridor outside, she then carried on as she went into the room next door. I tried to ring the Front Desk 4-5times and no-one picked up the call. I ended up screaming through the wall to tell the Gob-on-a-stick next door to shut up as people were sleeping - it seemed to work!

I also found it difficult to get comfortable due to heat - there is no air con and the room gets rather hot through the night and the windows don't open.

Didn't eat here - I had breakfast at a little café called the Muffin Man across the road and had toast & marmalade and tea (with tea leaves and a tea-pot!) for about £4!

Likely to use this as an option in the future for work as my expenses budget is so tight and this is frequently cheap. but not likely to spend more own money staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for this detailed review. It is a pleasure to read your kind comments about the efficient service you received with the check in staff, that the rooms are clean and hotel a good value and base for places of interest around the London area and all was to your satisfaction. I will be sure to pass back your compliments to our team with great thanks.

I have also taken note of the concerns you had with air con in your room. I do hope this was reported to our Duty Manager during your stay to be logged, as this would have received attention to rectify immediately. If not, may I suggest for future stays to please report such incidents during your stay and also to request a room with windows that can open for your comfort.

In terms of the noise you mentioned outside your room and and the shortfall in our services when trying to call our Front Desk. I apologise for the frustration and disturbance you encountered. I have referred all to our Management Team to review and appropriate action to conduct regular floor walk checks around the hotel and staff retraining for improvements to our customer services to ensure this is not repeated in future.

I am pleased that your time with us on a whole was positive and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,398)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Spent two nights in the hotel on business. The hotel is just of High Street Kensington. On check-in I was told as I was staying for two nights I would have a quiet room. Apparently a one night stay gives you a room near the underground rail line. My room was a twin which was clean but in need of being updated. There was also a problem with the air conditioning and even after being repaired the room took a long time to reach a reasonable temperature. The bathroom panels were in poor condition and the sealant around the bath needed replaced.
Breakfast was buffet style with a good choice and the waitress very attentive. I've stayed in this hotel many times over the years without any real problems but it is time for the rooms to be updated.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay. I want to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you regarding the various concerns you mentioned with conditions in the room. We are currently working on in-house redecoration which is an ongoing project and sometimes slows down due to high occupancy levels in the hotel. Your feedback is important and taken seriously as it assists our Management Team to review and take appropriate action to improve as we continue with this ongoing project.

Despite the concerns you mentioned, I am pleased that you had a good breakfast experience and that our staff provided an excellent service, rooms are clean and the location of the hotel is suitable to your needs, all thisand more have added to your enjoyable stay.

We look forward to your next stay with us and extend a warm welcome back when you next visit London.

Leeds
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and consider this a good place to stay at the Price I paid £79 room only. This was a Special deal and was a good price lfor the location, comparable local hotels can be double. Be prepared for a global mass market/tourist clientale but in the main things work well here. Didn't want to pay the extortinate price for Internet access and used the Cafe Nero just 2 mins walk, as it was free!

Room Tip: Strongly recommend the Bugis Restaurant Lunch Special which at £6.50 is great quality Singapore/Mala...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with the friendly and efficient Staff services, the hotel is clean and comfortable, good value and convenient location in London. Also from your excellent experience of the Bugis Restaurant, thank you for your strong recommendation. Your positive feedback is important to us and is received by our Hotel Team with great thanks

I note your mention "the hotel allows for mass market tourists". We do have people visiting or staying at the hotel from all walks of life both Business and Leisure, and due to the hotel’s convenient location to most places in around London, we do attract tourist groups and the demand is great. However, we do try to accommodate all our guests in the best possible way to ensure their comforts to have an enjoyable stay, as am pleased to see this was evident with your stay.

I hope you will choose Copthorne Tara when you next visit London and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Orange, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night before our 2 bedroom flat became available. We arrived straight off the plane with a transfer who couldn't find the bloody hotel. (it was not that hard to find but I didn't feel like being the tour guide considering the price I had paid for the transfer). Its not exactly a hotel that has 'character' but for 100 pounds for a twin room in the centre of everything you have to say its a winner. Clean, warm, and efficient, friendly staff. We didn't hear a thing (though were at the end of the corridor). A great value base in London.

Room Tip: Get one at the end of the corridor. It was very quiet (other reviews have a noise issue, but we cer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive kind comments and that your recent stay was to your satisfaction, the hotel is good value for money, our Staff is friendly, rooms clean and comfortable and the hotel is in a good location. I am glad that we able to provide high quality services and facilities suitable to your needs and thank you for your recommendation that the hotel is great value and base for London.

I wish to take the opportunity to welcome you back when you next visit London.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Really chuffed with the stay. Brill location, just round the corner from High Street Kensington tube. Attractive lobby area. Room was also great, good size for central London. Really no complaints although the air con/fridge were a bit noisy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katy J
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay. I have notified our Maintenance Manager with regards to your mention of the noisy air con and fridge for their follow up and action to ensure our facilities are checked and maintained more regularly and all in good working in order to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced during their stay.

We hope you will be returning again soon, and wish to extend a warm welcome back when you do visit London again.

Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I arrived after a long day in a cold and damp London, my room matched my mood exactly.... It was tired at best, a chunk of "wood" missing from the desk, damp starting to show on the bathroom wall and just dull all round. I have to say, it was clean at least, but that should not be enough to earn it four stars. It's tucked away from the High Street so pretty quiet, but there are not many pubs or restaurants nearby which is odd for London. My main bugbear is the aircon, it rattled and groaned all night long, grrrrr.

I didn pay for the room, my hosts did. But the rack rate for that night was about £160, so reasonable price for central London, but its sister hotel, the Baileys on Gloucester Road is much nicer. I did see that the room price rose to an astonishing £486 for a certain Saturday - outrageous.

The breakfast room had an overpowering smell of fish at 0630, not pleasant. The food was the usual buffet, ok but not really a pleasure and made worse by the generally grumpy staff who felt obliged to grab an empty glass or finished plate from under your nose a nanosecond after you put it down.

So, if you must be in this location, and you get a decent price, well maybe try this but don't expect much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FamilyH68
Shahida S, Pa to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your detailed feedback on your recent stay to the Copthorne Tara hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the conditions of the room allocated to you and with various other matters of concern that you have mentioned.

In terms of the rates you mentioned. Our rates do vary from time to time depending on the events in and around the hotel area. I am sure you understand Copthorne Tara is a popular hotel due to the convenient location and accommodation demand is high during these times.

Your feedback received, both positive and negative is important to assist us with future improvements and I have referred these to our Management Team to review for future improvements to ensure that such issues are not repeated in the future.

We endeavour to provide an excellent service with our best intentions and efforts to please all our guests. We hope your past experience does not deter you from returning to Copthorne Tara, and wish to welcome you back when you are visiting London again.

whitley bay
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked this stay through my employers as my normal hotel was not available within budget . I had read the reviews in advance so was expecting a noisy hotel in need of updating. Still , it would only be for 1 night. On arrival I requested a quiet room which was sorted without trouble and I had no problem sleeping. The room was indeed in need of overhaul as it is dated and rough round the edges. Whilst I did not try the restaurant the menu looked good and I have heard good reports on the food. The price was a little steep for what you get, but suppose that's the location for you. Would I stay again? Possibly but not my first choice until refurb materialises

• Stayed May 2013
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Derar Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback which is extremely helpful. We have taken note of your concerns and will look into making future improvements wherever appropriate. However, despite these I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant stay.

We hope you will return when next visiting London, and look forward to every opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.