“I'd give his an average, but only because I'm in a good mood as I write this”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #463 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Hexham, United Kingdom
“I'd give his an average, but only because I'm in a good mood as I write this”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I arrived after a long day in a cold and damp London, my room matched my mood exactly.... It was tired at best, a chunk of "wood" missing from the desk, damp starting to show on the bathroom wall and just dull all round. I have to say, it was clean at least, but that should not be enough to earn it four stars. It's tucked away from the High Street so pretty quiet, but there are not many pubs or restaurants nearby which is odd for London. My main bugbear is the aircon, it rattled and groaned all night long, grrrrr.

I didn pay for the room, my hosts did. But the rack rate for that night was about £160, so reasonable price for central London, but its sister hotel, the Baileys on Gloucester Road is much nicer. I did see that the room price rose to an astonishing £486 for a certain Saturday - outrageous.

The breakfast room had an overpowering smell of fish at 0630, not pleasant. The food was the usual buffet, ok but not really a pleasure and made worse by the generally grumpy staff who felt obliged to grab an empty glass or finished plate from under your nose a nanosecond after you put it down.

So, if you must be in this location, and you get a decent price, well maybe try this but don't expect much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FamilyH68
Shahida S, Pa to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your detailed feedback on your recent stay to the Copthorne Tara hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the conditions of the room allocated to you and with various other matters of concern that you have mentioned.

In terms of the rates you mentioned. Our rates do vary from time to time depending on the events in and around the hotel area. I am sure you understand Copthorne Tara is a popular hotel due to the convenient location and accommodation demand is high during these times.

Your feedback received, both positive and negative is important to assist us with future improvements and I have referred these to our Management Team to review for future improvements to ensure that such issues are not repeated in the future.

We endeavour to provide an excellent service with our best intentions and efforts to please all our guests. We hope your past experience does not deter you from returning to Copthorne Tara, and wish to welcome you back when you are visiting London again.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,383)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
whitley bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked this stay through my employers as my normal hotel was not available within budget . I had read the reviews in advance so was expecting a noisy hotel in need of updating. Still , it would only be for 1 night. On arrival I requested a quiet room which was sorted without trouble and I had no problem sleeping. The room was indeed in need of overhaul as it is dated and rough round the edges. Whilst I did not try the restaurant the menu looked good and I have heard good reports on the food. The price was a little steep for what you get, but suppose that's the location for you. Would I stay again? Possibly but not my first choice until refurb materialises

• Stayed May 2013
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Derar Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback which is extremely helpful. We have taken note of your concerns and will look into making future improvements wherever appropriate. However, despite these I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant stay.

We hope you will return when next visiting London, and look forward to every opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Pre-booked some months ago at an excellent price for a three night stay. Have read very mixed reviews, but our experience was great. The hotel is relatively central - just off Kensington High St with ample transport - taxis, buses & tube. In fact the tube line runs directly behind the hotel. We had a standard room on the fifth floor at the front, which was smart, clean and comfortable with only limited noise from 'unthinking' guests in the corridor. It is a large busy hotel but the public rooms seem to cope quite well. We had no problems or delay in either checking in or out.
Breakfast was not included but the original price came down in stages between booking and arriving to £10pp which was acceptable for central London and the very good buffet choice.
available.
Long (ish) queue for breakfast on Sunday ( morning after cup-final, so very busy) but this soon moved and we were seated within 5 minutes.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel. Trains run directly behind hotel - not sure how noisy that would be.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review even though you had mixed feelings before you arrived. I am pleased that to your surprise our services and facilities offered at the hotel is of high quality and standard, good value for money and overall you were satisfied and had a great experience staying with us.

Your comments that the hotel is well located, the rooms are clean and comfortable, excellent customer services, no delay checking in or out, good buffet choice for breakfast and even though busy our staff managed the queues with efficiency. With all this in mind and your recommendation to all travellers to London that you will stay again, gives us much pleasure and motivates us to continue with our efforts to please our guests in every possible way. The Hotel Team send their thanks to you with much appreciation for your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you and can assure you of our best attention so that you will have an enjoyable stay again!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel is well located close to the tube and Kensington High Street shopping precinct. Rooms are a bit dated but clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was fine with reasonable choice. We had dinner in Bugis Street restaurant - great laksa and noodle dishes at reasonable prices.

We booked a Club room upgrade which included internet access and evening drinks in the Club bar which consisted of beer or wine accompanied by a bowl of crisps and no other nibblies. In my view not worth the extra money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, Pa to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest

I am pleased to read from your review that you had an extremely comfortable stay with us and also your positive comments regarding your good tasty experience in our Bugis Restaurant and breakfast. I have noted the points you raised in regard to the Club bar for our Management Team to review for future improvements.

Considering the location of the hotel is convenient to your needs I am sure we can expect your return in the future and guarantee you will have a memorable stay.

Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Myself and my 2 business colleagues booked to stay at the Copthorne Tara for 1 night on a recent business trip to the UK/Europe.

My family and I have been staying at the Tara when visiting London for the last 20 years and I was sue that this stay would be a as good as the past. How wrong I was.

Upon checking in at the hotel mid afternoon, I was matter of factly told by the reception desk that the hotel was overbooked, and there were no rooms available. Understandably this is not the news we wanted to hear after just completing a 24hour flight all the way from New Zealand.

I questioned why should we were not able to have a room as it was still mid afternoon, and not every guest who had made a reservation would have checked into their rooms. I also explained that I had stayed at the Tara on numerous occasions and had recommended this hotel to my business colleagues, and this situation was very embarrassing and inconvenient to me. The reply given was " you are the only guests that are staying for only 1 night and there were NO rooms left at the hotel, overbooking was done by all hotels".

At this point I asked to speak to the manager.

After a rather heated discussion the manager still refused to allocate us a room. He mentioned that he had tried to contact me to let me know of the overbooking problem, and told me he did not have any contact numbers. This I find hard to believe as the bookings were done by our very reliable Travel Agent and she would have given them all relevant details.

Finally he offered to pay for a taxi to send us to an associate hotel The Millenium Baileys for the night.

Things from then went from bad to worse.

Firstly the taxi driver delivered us to the wrong hotel. Then after finally finding The Millenium Baileys the only rooms they had available were 3 single bedded rooms. Even though the original bookings at the Copthorne Tara were made for 3 Double Bedded Superior Rooms.

These rooms were simply not acceptable and not up to standard.

At this point myself and my business colleagues had had enough of the off hand, arrogant and "couldn't care less" attitude of all the hotel staff.

In desperation I promptly got out my laptop and proceeded to search for alternative accommodation myself.

Needless to say I managed to find a lovely hotel centrally located in London, with well mannered staff who offered good service and had a pleasant manner.

My family as well as my business colleagues will now stay at hotel this on our trips to the London in the future.

Sorry Copthorne Tara you have just lost a loyal customer. I will not return to your establishment again.

By the way, a refund was finally offered, but is still not forthcoming.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank RankinAuckland
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to send in your review which is very important to us as it assists us to maintain our high quality standard of services and facilities going forward.

I apologise that we were unable to accommodate you and your colleagues for the night of the 27th of April. Due to unforeseen circumstances one of the booking engines failed to close and caused an overbooking for that Saturday at the hotel. Our reservation team contacted all the guests that we needed to accommodate in our sister hotels to inform them the changes in advance. Unfortunately in your case we were not able to contact you or your colleagues as the reservations were received via Expedia.

On your arrival at Copthorne Tara we informed you and colleagues the booking was moved to our sister hotel, Millennium Baileys. On your arrival at the Baileys, I understand that you all were not happy and our Revenue Manager decided that we would not charge for the rooms and emailed you all confirming that. In the interim, we contacted Expedia and they confirmed for the inconvenience caused to you and your colleagues no charges were made for the rooms, and they advised us that there was no need for any action from our side to do refunds.

This was a unique situation, I am very sorry to have disappointed you as a loyal customer. I am sure you can understand the dilemma we have in such a case trying to please each guest to their specific needs, but we try to accommodate all the guests affected in the best possible way. Our Management Team followed up on this matter and has taken action to ensure such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Our Hotel Team always endeavours to provide our guests with a high quality service with every effort and intention of pleasing all our guests. I hope this incident will not deter you from returning to stay with us again in the near future.

I wish to extend a big welcome back to you and your colleagues to give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our services and facilities when you are next in London.

Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very close to the tube, good large clean and functional rooms, friendly and generally helpful staff. Seems to be very much a business hotel that also caters well for the holiday traveller. Good restaurants and pubs close by, wifi is purchase only, car parking can be an issue as well. Good quality hotel however that was great for us because of location. Would happily return there on next visit to London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Drew49
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments on your recent stay. I am very pleased to read you found your room clean and comfortable, our Staff friendly and helpful, the hotel is well located and all was to your satisfaction and you had a pleasant stay.

Your recommendation to all travellers to London that you would happily stay with us again is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013 for one night. Arrived on a Sunday night. Room was fine. Clean and spacious.

Had a few drinks in the bar and then a meal in the Thai/Chinese restaurant which was fab! Hotel is close to the tube station

My course was at this hotel and I thought the facilities were excellent.

My only complaint would be that my room was overlooking the train track.... the noise at night was a but annoying!

Room Tip: Avoid room near the train track!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank aman2222
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your positive comments on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara. I notice you are sensitive to noise as from your mention of the noise from the train track. May I suggest when making future bookings at the hotel to request a room on the West side so as to avoid facing the Tube station.

I am pleased that we lived up to your expectation in providing excellent services and facilities for your comfort and that overall you had a great stay. Our Management and Staff were happy to receive your positive compliments.

I am sure we can expect you back when you next visit London, and we look forward to welcoming you.