“Don't really bother if you want a 4 star, plenty of nicer hotels in London”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #472 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 1, 2013

nice foyer, min gym is good but could be 24 hours I think for people who have to be up and out early. Breakfast Average. Can't believe you pay for wi if. Room was ok, not 4 star, sheets dirty. Room service nice. Stayed in much better hotels at same price.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Paula Y
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay and for bringing to our attention the concerns you have. Your feedback is important as we continue to endeavour to provide the best services and facilities with every intention of pleasing our guests. Our Management Team have taken note for follow up to ensure we continuously maintain our high level of quality standards going forward.

We hope you will choose us again for future visits to London.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Having booked a 4 night stay as a base for our trip I was a bit nervous when I came across some negative reviews on Tripadvisor. Thankfully they proved unfounded. Great location, clean room, friendly staff and they do a good breakfast. I'll be back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for such a positive review especially considering you were nervous of what to expect, I am pleased that we lived up to the high quality standard that we strive to achieve and the team exceeded your expectations ensuring an enjoyable stay. Your comments made us feel very proud and I am sure it will truly encourage the team to strive even further for improving consistency every day.

Thank you for recommending Copthorne Tara to all travellers to London that you will be back again, and we look forward to welcoming you on your next trip.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My first view of the hotel and bedroom was very good, and clean, until it came to when we wanted to sleep, we was in room 1103, nice view, but it overlooked an open part of the tube, every 3 to5 min we heard a train, right through the night, disturbing our sleep.
The room also had a door between us and the next room, when the people came in we could hear all what they was saying including cleaning there teeth and closing the zip on the case, and there roomlight shined under the door.
We complained the next morning, and the staff was very good in getting us moved to the West side, room 1242, again a nice room, with a lovely shower, no double glazing, so we could hear the Air-conditioning droning from the hotel opposite to us, all through the night.
The breakfast wasn't to bad, but the tea was stewed.
I recommend that the hotel invest in triple glazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the West side
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with exception of the noise around the room you were allocated. I am pleased that this was rectified immediately upon reporting and our Staff was so accommodating to your needs to ensure your comforts for the duration of your stay. Thank you for recommending to all travellers to our hotel that if sensitive to noise from the rail track to book on the West side of the hotel. I thank you also for bringing to our attention the concerns you had with the breakfast tea. Your feedback is valuable and our F&B Manager is looking into this so that we improve the presentation of the tea to our guests going forward. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with issues you have mentioned and we have taken note of these for our Management Team to review for future improvements.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here from 22nd to 26th April on business.

As has been said, the hotel is extremely tired and dated. The rooms have industrial sized air conditioners permanently pumping out warm air, the fridges sound like they're diesel powered and keep you awake all night. The bathroom has almost no water pressure, the toilet never completely flushes and the shower dribbled out a slow trickle of drops. the in room wi-fi drops your connection every 5 minutes or so and is not reliable enough to get any work done.When you're finally able to nod off, the bed bug infested mattresses soon have you awake again.

The joy of this process allows you to see how well the staff sympathy training is working, my conversation went like this:

"Hi reception, there's a problem with my room"

"sorry to hear that sir, what's the problem?"

"my mattress has bed bugs and I can't sleep"

"well your room has 2 beds, can you switch to the other bed?"

"not really, if 1 bed is infested, the other will be, do you have another room I can switch to?"

"no sir, perhaps you could try a room service breakfast?"

"will that be free?"

"No it will not".

"Well what do you suggest i do?"

"perhaps you could take a shower until the kitchen opens"

"Take a shower, but it's 430am!"

"yes sir, but there's nothing else I can suggest".

Breakfast is an overpriced plate of congealed grease, the tea is anaemic and tasteless, made in a huge military style jerry can.

The staff in general are well meaning but unable to assist, they seem to have embraced the English upper class love of bad, snooty service. On check out, one gentleman asked the receptionist why the queue was moving so slowly "you'll just have to wait" was sneered back at him.

The hotel is straight out of the communist "running hotels in the Soviet era" manifesto. The entire place, frankly, needs to be condemned and I would be very reluctant to stay again.

Room Tip: Take a bottle of Tea Tree oil, so you can treat any bites from the bed bugs in the mattresses.
1  Thank The_Dr00
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am happy to say that this type of incidents are very rare and that helped us identify this particular one and reply to your feedback. Clearly the matter you referred to required swift consideration and investigation from us and, although the room was occupied in the period right up to the time of your stay without incident, we have had the bedroom immediately inspected as a matter of course to our strict Company guidelines by an external company (Mitie) and the room was subsequently re-checked and reported no activity and all clear. My apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you, however, I am pleased our Management Team responded to your call immediately and moved you to another room for your ease of mind and comfort for the duration of your stay.

I have referred all other matters that you have mentioned to our Management Team for their review and action for improvements going forward.

We hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had one night here on business. The room was overlooking the train tracks and you could hear the rumble of the trains as they went by. I arrived late and had just a bowl of soup from room service. The service was slow and the soup was watery and tasteless. As others have said the rooms are tired and in need of upgrade.

The breakfast was pretty average too, a fairly normal selection of cooked and continental but it was not the best quality. The tea was served from large jugs and so tasted awful and had that grey brown appearance, it was like being at a conference. I don't know why they can't serve fresh tea.

The staff were all pleasant if a little too enthusiastic at clearing your table. I lifted up my toast from my side plate to take a bite and the plate was whipped away. Half way through eating I got up rested my knife and fork across my plate to indicate I was still eating and got up to get something, when I came back my breakfast had been cleared!

I'm sure there must be better places at the same price.

Room Tip: Don't get one overlooking the railway.

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel.

I note your room was facing the train tracks and it seems that you had some disturbance with noise. I apologise for the inconvenience and for information, please may I suggest that for future bookings you request a room on the West side of the hotel for your comfort.

In terms of the soup you ordered from room service and your breakfast experience, I have referred your comments to our F&B Manager for review and to take action for future improvements.

We are currently working on in-house redecoration and we do monitor guest feedback to help us with this ongoing project.

Your feedback is important as it assists us to continuously improve our services and facilities and to maintain our high quality standard level that is expected. Again I apologise that we did not meet with your expectation.

I hope you will return again in the near future so that we can have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here on business. The hotel fitted my needs (nearby tube on circle line), stayed here before, good price for central London, large room.
Good bits: good price, large room, good shower, nice soaps etc, flat screen TV, fridge I could use if I wanted to, room was clean
Not so good: room décor was tired, single bed uncomfortable (I'll try not to stay again mainly because of this), room was hot on arrival, v poor breakfast (the East Coast rail breakfast is better) - poor quality ingredients and not so well cooked. Why they can't serve tea made fresh with BOILING WATER perhaps in a teapot (?) escapes me; tepid tea is horrible. Also, the room they serve breakfast in is not so pleasant: dark and depressing. Breakfast was usually an extra £15 but I got a £5 discount off that on check-in - even with the discount, I don't think it's good value.
paid for Wifi - you have to pay for it so I just used my 3G connection. Even abroad, I use 3G for £1.99/day/25MB so unsure why anyone would pay for wifi nowadays in a hotel
Bizarre bit: coffee shop in reception is a good idea but it shut at 1145am just as lunchtime was starting; it was also closed at 7pm. Wasn't the greatest designed coffee shop anyway so no loss.
I think the hotel must have been last overhauled about 20 years ago and nothing much has been done to it since apart from relatively minor updates.
Overall, the owners need to take a strategic look at how this hotel operates. A management discussion, for example with the restaurant, won't cut it. Small changes (why not serve coffee in china cups instead of paper cups in the coffee shop; improve quality of breakfast ingredients; serve fresh tea and coffee at breakfast, revamp rooms etc) could make for a much more pleasant stay.
Overall, if you can get a good deal, use this hotel as its features make it an ok stay but eat elsewhere and just use it as a base for central London.
I will look elsewhere to stay next time (but would still consider this one if the price was right and I didn't have much other choice as I did this time)

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that doesn't face the underground railway line
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara hotel and may I take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointments. Your feedback is valuable and assists us in improving our services and facilities going forward.

I have referred your “not so good points” raised to our Management Team point by point and they have assured me that action is taken to address each of these issues immediately and to ensure this is not repeated in the future, and I apologise for any inconvenienced caused during your stay.

In terms of your “good bits” - these positive points have been well received by our Management and Staff as this motivates us to continue maintaining our high level standard that we endeavour to provide all our guests.

I hope with the good in mind you will consider staying with us again when you next visit London, and I can assure you that we will put every effort to provide our best services so that you have a positive memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in March with my 12yr old son as half term trip away. Booked as a mystery hotel as B&B package & thought it great value. Never stayed in Kensington before but found it a safe area with lots of shops & restaurants to hand with tube a few mins. walk away. Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection and filled us up nicely for our busy sightseeing days. We had a room facing away from the busy tube lines & was quiet. The room was very warm despite me turning the heating on lowest setting with max airconditioning. However it was nice to come into after the freezing March London weather. Room & bathroom cleaned welll & of a decent size in my opinion. Staff were friendly & efficient(checking in /out & when we left our bags on departure day) Liked this hotel so much we are returning @ the end of May!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the tube lines.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your positive comments especially with your great breakfast experience, hotel is good value for money, excellent room conditions clean and comfortable and our efficient friendly staff. I have noted the points you raised with regards to the air conditioner and reported this to our Maintenance Manager for follow up action to ensure all are checked more regularly and maintained in good working order ongoing. Despite this, I am delighted that overall you still enjoyed your stay with us.

As a hotel, we concentrate hugely on offering high standards of guest services and facilities, and I am so pleased that this was evident during your stay, with your compliments in this area greatly appreciated by the Hotel Team and myself.

Thank you for your recommendation that you will be returning again end of May, and we look forward to welcoming you and assure you of our best attention.