“Great location.”

Ranked #462 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went there as a convenient location for thransport links in London for the French Show and Boat Show.
I got a good deal on room rate and paid an upgrade to club room which throws in continental breakfast, access to the club lounge with a free happy hour and internet access in the room, and access to the business lounge which was convenient for flight check-in and printing boarding card.
As the weather was poor I ate in both the bar and their brasserie (Bugis Street) which has a Peking/Malay?cantonese theme.
Food in the bar is "pub grub" and for what it is quite adequate.
Bugis Street serves small portions and as someone who loves and cooks Asian Food, in general I found it expensive and disappointing.
On the positive side the concierge is a lovely guy and he along with the receptionists are a tribute to the hotel, as are the staff in the club lounge.
The continental breakfast served here is beautiful, with fresh fruit, yoghurts, breads and croissants.
On the down -side, waiters in the main bar speak poor English and don't seem to grasp the concept of delivering cutlery with meals, or mixers at the same time as drinks. This despite the fact that certainly when I was there the bar was half-empty and they were asked several times.
The club rooms are fairly spacious if slightly dated and have decent sized bathrooms, The accomodation is spotlessly clean as are the bathrooms, and there are quite good views over the city.The aircon is noisey but works well.
It would take little effort by the management to turn a fair hotel into a great one, but it seems a common theme in many British hotels.
Great work done in marketing and customer relations spoilt by poor training of bar staff and mediocre catering!
A shame really as these are the two points of contact the customer has the greatest exposure to!

Room Tip: The upgrade to a club room is worthwhile if you can afford it. One big advantage is that these room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest

I pleased to read from your feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara that the hotel is conveniently located in the London areas to most places of interest and good value for money.

Thank you also for the positive feedback with regards to the excellent customer services our staff provided during your stay, with the exception of the disappointing interaction you had with the bar staff. I wish to point out that we do take on new trainees from abroad to enhance their development for their future careers and at the same time to learn the English Language, but be advised there is always a senior Manager or Supervisor present who are fluent in the English language to assist our guests should the need arise where communication seems a problem. This does not excuse the incident, and I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you at the time. It is a pity that you did not notify a senior member of staff at the time encountered this situation so as to act on the matter at hand to rectify the problem immediately. It is feedback such as yours which is valuable to us as it assists with the training of the staff on the job and to guide them through the process as the incidents occur. We do realise that there is room for improvement, therefore have assured that action will be taken accordingly to improve these services going forward. Otherwise, I am happy that overall you remained positive as you found the hotel clean and all else to your satisfaction to continue to enjoy your stay.

I trust you will choose Coptorne Tara as your choice hotel when you next visit London, and take the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience our improved services.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,383)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ho Chi Minh City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am a frequent traveller, and believe I know what to demand. I was there partly for business, but mostly with my girlfriend. I can only say that you will encounter a very friendly and capable staff. Absolutely worth every penny, and 100% recommendable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

6 Thank Kenn H
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and to recommend the Copthorne Tara to travellers to London that the hotel is good value for money. Your positive feedback is valuable to us as our Management and their Teams continue to make every effort in providing our guests with a high quality standard of services and facilities going forward.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Kinver, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went to the Copthorne Tara during a weekend stay in London, with a great special offer of £79pn including breakfast. Whilst the room was a little dated, everything was perfectly clean and functional.

The breakfast offering the next day was absolutely fine, with very attentive staff keen to top up your coffee cup!

The hotel itself is well placed for West London attractions, and is only a stone's throw away from Kensington High Street Underground.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to read that we were able to live up to the standard of providing a high quality services and facilities during your recent stay and the Copthorne Tara and to ensure you have a memorable stay. Our Management and Staff appreciate your valuable feedback which motivates them to work harder to make further improvements to our services and facilities going forward.

I am sure we can look forward to you returning to the Copthotrne Tara, as you mention the hotel is conveniently located and good value for money suitable to your needs.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just a few minutes walk from Kensington High Street and tube station. Friendly and efficient reception and smart foyer. However, rooms tired and dated (stained and torn chairs, scratched furniture). Booked a superior double room, but bed was a small double. Average buffet breakfast, but nice touch with pot of tea each, extra teabag and refills of hot water. Again, very efficient and friendly service. Stayed here on a 'deal', could probably get something a lot smarter for the full price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am happy to read that we were able to provide you with a friendly and efficient Customer service on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara, and also that you found the hotel conveniently located and good value for money suitable to your needs. It is always good to hear that our guests had an enjoyable stay.

Our Management and staff appreciate your positive feedback, as they pride themselves in providing a high quality of services to our guests, and this motivates them to continue improving these services going forward.

With regards to your comments on the conditions of the room, I wish to advise that we are currently working on in-house redecoration and this project is ongoing. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay as we progress with this project. Your feedback is valuable and assists us with this ongoing project to improve our services and facilities we provide to our guest in future.

I do hope you will return to the Copthorne Tara in the not too distant future to give us the opportunity of showing off our improved services and facilities and to ensure you have a memorable stay.

Look forward to welcoming you back.
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had been looking forward to a mini break and taking in a show in London for some time and with hind sight should never have booked this place. It backs onto the underground and looks like a 60's council tenement block. The interior is better than the exterior but only just. We were checked in by a foreign speaking chap who didn't seem to have much of a grasp of the english language but it didn't waste too much of our time. The rooms are dated and the bathroom was a tad grubby. We ended up changing our room as the heating was broken and we didn't fancy freezing to death. Breakfast was good but a bit cold - surely it's not too much to ask to have an efficient food warming system? Drinks at the bar were horrendous; and I haven't quite worked out yet how it's cheaper to pay a £2 surcharge and have drinks delivered to your room cheaper than buying them at the bar! There seems to be a lack of commonsense by the duty manager as my other half was castigated for using an E-cigarette because of all things - the possibility of setting off a fire alarm - someone needs to educate him about the workings of an electronic (there's a clue there!) cigarette. All in all, I have stayed at some more comfortable B&B's and have been given a better standard of service at Premier Inns. Needs a kick up the backside if it wishes to portray itself as a 4 star establishment!b No hurry to repeat the experience.

Room Tip: Check the heating works - apparantly any change in thermostat setting could take up to 20 minutes to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve O
Dear Guest

Thank you for listing your concerns on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am disappointed that you felt your stay was not to your satisfaction and apologise for any inconvenience caused by any lapse in our customer services. Your feedback is valuable and assists us to improve our customer services ongoing.

In term of your negative interaction with our staff at check-in, and your comment on the lack of commonsense of the Duty Manager when commuincating with your other half, I do apologise for the unsatisfactory customer service you both experienced. I am happy you brought this incident to our attention to enable our Management Team to address and improve these services going forward. Please be advised we do take on new trainees from abroad to enhance their development for their future careers and to learn the English language at the same time, which you will find is normal practice around the country, and I am sure you may have experienced in other similar hotels. However, I wish to highlight that there is always a Senior Manager, Supervisor or Senior Receptionist who are fluent in the English language who are always present to assist them when any problems or miscommunication arises. We are aware there is room for improvement and we will action accordingly.

I also apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the faulty air con in your room and the unsatisfactory experience at breakfast. I am please to note that our Team acted immediately to move you to another room to ensure your comfort for the duration of your stay. Our Maintenance Manager has been informed and has assured that rooms are checked daily and is monitored to ensure air cons and other facilities are maintained in the rooms are kept in good working order so that such incidents are not repeated. With regard to your breakfast, I have notified our F&B Manager and his team to investigate and to ensure that in future, regular checks are conducted during breakfast and that all food is presented to the high quality standard and maintained.

We endeavour to provide our guests with high quality services and facilities with every intention of providing the best quality services for all our guests, and once more do apologise if we have not succeeded in your case.

Please do not let this deter you from returning to the hotel, and we wish to welcome both you and your partner back to give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services and facilities. Should you require assistance with future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will be happy to assist with your arrangements to your specific needs.

Yours sincerely.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just off the main drag in Kensington, the Copthorne Tara is convenient as it's right next to the High Street Kensington tube station, but depending on the room, it can get a little noisy due to this!

The hotel has a large impressive foyer, and the rooms are pretty large and comfortable, if a little tired, but are very clean. The ancient 'air-con' in the rooms isn't great unfortunately, and doesn't do a good job of bringing the temperature down. Have a look around your room, you may find you have your own fridge - this is useful as there is a Tesco Metro a few minutes walk away and you can keep food/drink cold.

There is a pretty large (by London standards) carpark under the hotel. I've never eaten at the hotel, as there are many places to eat/drink on Kensington High Street. I always pick this hotel to stay in if I'm driving to London.

Room Tip: Don't use the hotels postcode if you're using SatNav or Maps on phone! use W8 5SY. You'l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara. The points you have raised will certainly assist with our continuous efforts to improve our services and facilities we provide to our guests ongoing.

Our Management Team have taken note of your concerns with regards to the faulty air con to take action to conduct more regular checks to ensure this type of situation is not repeated. I apologise for the discomfort caused during your stay.

Thank you for the positive information you detailed to recommend to future travellers on the quality hotel facilities and services that you were satisfied with.

In terms of the information on locality of the hotel, please be advised the Copthorne Tara Hotel’s postcode is W8 5SR and is regularly used by our guests when travelling to the hotel, and complaints such as this is far a few between. Though this may have caused some frustration to yourself, unfortunately I cannot comment on the facilities used on Google maps.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Doncaster England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

The rooms were just the same as when I stayed last time and that must be more than ten years ago. The fridge was noisy and I had to get an engineer to turn it off. Pity I could not get someone to turn off the circle line which runs next to the hotel. We were in an even numbered room last time we stayed and didnt hear it but this time in an odd numbered room it woke us very early in the morning. The rooms were clean and the shower excellent, the beds a bit firm for old bones. The very expensive bar had no atmosphere, more staff than customers and all set up for breakfasts. The finger plates on the corridor doors are very worn and look quite unsavoury even though they may be perfectly clean.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are quieter!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I wish to thank you for time you have taken to share your feedback. I am pleased to see our Engineer was quick on the mark to assist with your request in turning off the mini fridge in your room, that you found your room and corridors in good clean condition and enjoyed the excellent shower facilities. Please be advised that we are currently working on in-house redecoration in the hotel which is an ongoing project. Feedback such as yours is important as the points you raise assists us to take action to improve as we continually progress with this ongoing project.

We hope you will be returning to the Copthorne Tara soon and wish to extend a warm welcome back when you next visit London.

Yours sincerely,