“Expected Better”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #472 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Apart from the reception this hotel is very tired. Small rooms with very badly worn furniture. The double bed was tiny. We complained about our room only to be told that we could upgrade (at extra cost) to a Club room. We did not eat in the hotel and ate out. I would highly recommend the Sticky Fingers Restuarant. Rib Eye steak was excellent. The only good thing about the Tara was the location. Handy for the tube etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Shahida S, PA to general Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara, and glad to read that the hotel is conveniently located and suitable for you and your family’s needs to visit places of interest in and around the area.

With regards to your room conditions, may I apologise that we did not meet with your expectation. In terms of the bed size, we have different room types and therefore beds differ according to the room type. For future bookings, should you require a specific size bed or any other special requests, to avoid disappointing room facilities etc, it is advisable that this is requested when making your reservation, and we will endeavour to provide, subject to availability.

However, I wish to also inform that we are currently working on in-house redecoration, as we continue to monitor our guest feedback which assists us in improving these services and facilities going forward. I apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

I hope you and your family will return to the Copthorne Tara in the near future, to enable us to restore your confidence and to ensure you have an enjoyable memorable stay.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

Reviewed November 21, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Well, apart from the small tin of boiled sweets and the 2 magazines there was little to this room that put it anything above the ordinary. Oh, there was a pair of hotel slippers and a dressing gown - which we shared between the two of us! No complimentary water, no mini-bar, no chocolates, no flowers, no newspaper in the morning, no biscuits with the coffee. I guess we ask for too much from a £200 a night room! The room appeared to have been refurbished but was no more than an ordinary room never mind deluxe. However it was clean, the bed comfortable and the reception staff helpful and attentive. Location is really handy for the West End and there are one or two nice restaurants nearby without going on to the main drag. Oh, I nearly forgot the free access to the Club Lounge - forget it! We went twice and there was nothing more on offer than tea or coffee apart from 4 or 5 biscuits that were brought to us on a plate. I believe that there were alcoholic drinks served for an hour from 1830 just when we were getting ready to go out!

Room Tip: The Club rooms are not worth the extra!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peterrobinson
Shahida S, Pa to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your taking the time to write in your feedback

May I also take the opportunity to apologise for the shortfalls that you experienced with the facilities provided in your Club room and the Club lounge services. However I am pleased that your room was clean and comfortable and that our staff customer services were to your satisfaction.

Your feedback is important and taken seriously. The points you raised helps us to improve our services and facilities going forward. I have noted these points and have communicated them to our Management Team for action to be taken to ensure this situation is not repeated and that we maintain consistency in providing our guests with a high quality standard of customer services and facilities going forward.

Should you need assistance with future arrangements, please contact me direct and I will be more than happy to assist with your booking.

I trust you will return to the Copthorne Tara in the near future, and I wish to take the opportunity of welcoming you back so that we can ensure your stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travel to London four or five times a year- and always use last minute top secrets hotels and have never been disappointed. We got dropped off at the hotel and we went to check in and the doorman gave us both a very unpleasant look- after a 7 hour journey in a van, we (naturally) didn't look our best. Checked in just fine- but the worse was still to come. Rooms are tiny and incredibly dated- serious refurbishment works are needed seriously and hopefully they will come in the next year or so or I can't see many people wanting to stay here. TV looked older than I am- 20 years old. We didn't even try breakfast- I recommend the Giraffe cafe opposite Kensington gardens, we frequently go there when we visit the city.

Agree that the location is great- for someone who cannot walk far without getting tired it was ideal from this point of view. When we were being collected the next day by a friend we explained about my disability and if our friend could possibly park in the car park for a few minutes while we got loaded up and in etc- but no, it was for "guests use only'- technically, it was for guest use. I don't think it would of hurt them to let our friend park her van their for a few minutes to save the 30 minute train journey to meet her when I was exhausted- but no.

I won't be staying again

2  Thank Beth S

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that your overall stay was disappointing and not to your satisfaction.

In terms of your comments that the hotel needs updating, I wish to advise that we are currently working on in-house redecoration as we continue to monitor our guest feedback to assist us in improving the services and facilities we provide to our guests going forward.

In terms of the negative interaction with our staff member with regards to your parking request, I apologise for the miscommunication and the unsatisfactory customer service you encountered. I have passed your concerns on to our Management Team for their review and to take action to ensure regular staff retraining is conducted, and to continuously maintain consistency in improving our high level standard of quality customer services ongoing, so that such situations are not repeated in the future.

On a positive note, I thank you for your feedback that the Hotel is situated in a great location for getting around places of interest that suited your needs.

I hope that you will return to the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London, to give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence and to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay and was'nt impressed.
The double beds were 4 foot wide.
Room smelt a bit damp aswell.
Location was very good right beside the underground and plenty of shops but overall
I would'nt go back to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank frankel393

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback which is valuable and important in assisting us to improving our services and facilities going forward.

I apologise for the unsatisfactory inconvenience you encountered with the conditions of your room during your stay. In terms of the bed size may I advise that the we have different types of rooms and therefore the bed sizes differ according to the room type. Should you require a bigger size bed, it is advisable to request at the time of booking and we will endeavour to accommodate your request, subject to availability.

In terms of your comment of the damp smell, I apologise for this discomfort. It is a pity this was not communicated to our Duty Manager at the time to take action immediately to ensure you have a comfortable stay. I have notified our Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to investigate and to take action to ensure this does not reoccur in the future.

I am glad to read however that you were pleased with the convenient location of the hotel which suited your needs.

I hope you will return to the Copthorne Tara in the near future to give us the opportunity to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Should you require assistance for future bookings, please contact me direct and I will be happy to assist with your booking arrangements to your specific needs.

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Good sleepover spot when working down this neck of the woods. Wouldn't like to stay here for pleasure. Food nothing special but a handy if small underground car park which is handy. Surely that's two hundred characters now???

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am happy to read that the hotel is well located in the area and satisfactory to your needs.

Our Management and Staff take pride in the high level quality customer services we provide to our guests with the best intentions of pleasing our guests, and the points you raised assists us to improving these ongoing.

We trust you will be visiting Copthorne Tara soon when you next visit London, and take the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

just returned from a 3 day break in London and through superbreaks booked a return visit to this hotel.Official rating is a 4star hotel, personally I would rate it a good 3 star hotel as most of the Hotel needs a bit updating, saying that it does what is says, bed was comfortable, its quiet, breakfast was adequate, all staff that we had contact with were very courteous.

2  Thank mrgrumpy

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback and despite having an overall pleasant stay you raised a few points of concern that was not to your satisfaction. Your feedback is taken seriously and communicated to the Management Team to ensure we take action to continuously improve and maintain consistency our standard of services and facilities ongoing so that such problems do not occur in the future.

Your positive comment with regards to our staff being courteous was received with great thanks.

In terms of your comments that the hotel needs updating, I wish to advise the standard of the hotel is graded regularly and we do maintain the high quality standard that is required for a 4 star hotel. However, I wish to inform that we are currently working on in-house redecoration as we continue to monitor our guest feedback to assist us to continue improving the services and facilities going forward.

Should you require any future assistance with facilitating your hotel arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will be happy to assist with your special arrangements.