“Update to previous review”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #466 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Update to previous review”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have always stayed in a Club room before. However, a last minute booking last weekend saw us in a normal room. Was surprised to find there was no free wi-fi anywhere in the hotel. The bathroom was a bit dated. Bedroom was the same, just on a lower floor.
Did miss not being able to use the club lounge for coffee anytime and the wine and free wi-fi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest

I wish to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback and I assure you that although some of the rooms appear dated, they are clean, comfortable and we always try to provide the best possible services and facilities to our guests. Feedback such as yours is important as the points you raise assists us to take action to improve as we continually are working on in house re-decoration.

In terms of WIFI options, although complaints of this nature are far and few between, please be advised our tariffs are in line with hotels of a similar standard , although as you mentioned, the WIFI option is free if booked in a Club room.

However, I have noted your concerns and have forwarded to our Management Team for their review. Your feedback negative and positive is valuable to us to enable us to rectify and to improve our services and facilities going forward.

I trust this will not deter you from visiting the Tara again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,398)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Suggest looking else where unless you don't mind hearing next door cough etc. and lots of noise from car park or tube below.

When we stayed car alarm was going off for over 20 minutes (early Saturday morning).

Reception was very rude when we said we had booked a double but got a twin - she made out it was our own fault for booking through third party.

Room was small and dated and very hot (air con out of the 80's like the rest of the room)!

Not good value for money at all!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Copthorne Tara Hotel, your feedback negative and positive is valuable to us to enable us to rectify and to improve our services and facilities going forward. I have taken notes of your concerns with regards to the noisy disturbances, faulty air con, and also the negative interaction you had with our reception staff.

I can assure you that your experience was not the norm as we endeavour to provide the best possible customer services with the intention of always pleasing our guests so that they have a pleasant stay. I have forwarded the points you listed to our Management Team and we are addressing each of your concerns appropriately, to ensure staff retraining is consistent and ongoing, maintenance issues are checked daily and maintained, and monitoring for noises around the room areas are regularly conducted.

In terms of your concerns with regards to parking rates, I wish to advise that these are in line with the standard parking rates in and around the area.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay and wish to welcome you back when you next visit London to enable us to take the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our services and facilities.

Should your require assistance with future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will be happy to facilitate your arrangements according to your needs to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great stay, they let us check in early and its just round the corner from the tube - so very convienent. I asked for a room away from the tube side, so there was no problem with noise. Also very helpful staff when my travel companion had to sort out some business stuff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest

We are very pleaased you enjoyed your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara, and that all was to your satisfaction. Your kind comments regards to the positiveness of our staff interaction have been passed on to the Team, which is valuable and motivates the Team in improving our services and facilities going forward.

We are glad that you found the hotel conveniently located to the tube station and places of interest around the area. With this in mind, I have no doubt that you will be returning to the hotel again on your next visit to London.

I wish to take the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

monaghan, ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on Nov.8th about noon and got checked in straight away. We had stayed before and chose it again for its great location near a tube station and its closeness to a nice shopping area on nearby Kensington High Street. The building is big and doesn't fit in too well with the surrounding architecture but inside it is very satisfactory. We decided to have a quick lunch before we set off on our adventures and found the Bugis restaurant in the hotel was very good - a Malaysian restaurant with nice staff and lovely food - a three course lunch for £6.50, if i remember correctly, and good value. Big comfortable room, nice bar downstairs for quiet drink at the end of the day, great buffet breakfast - no complaints. I turned the temperature control to the lowest setting in the room and it worked, so the room had not the usual hotel sauna-like heat! The Oyster card for the Tube is amazing and made hopping around the city so easy. Saw The Lion King - really brilliant, visited the Portrait Gallery - nice user friendly size and very interesting, did the Westminster Abbey tour with London Walks - really recommended, met friends at London Bridge for dinner in brilliant restaurant called Fish and all in exceptional weather for November. On our last morning we left our bags in the hotel and went shopping nearby. Altogether a great London visit yet again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for posting a positive review following your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that our staff services were efficient throughout your stay, the hotel is good value for money and all in all you had no complaints.

I am happy that the facilities we provided were to your satisfaction, and your feedback was communicated to the Management and Staff with much appreciation.

I also notice you are a regular visitor and glad to see from your comments that we have maintained consistency in providing our excellent customer services and facilities, and I can assure you we will continue improving going forward.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

The copthorne is in a fantastic area of London, beside a busy high street and tube station. A close walk to the museums, Hyde park and harrods. 30min walk to Oxford st.
The hotel is clean bright and modern feeling, it has a good atmosphere.
Breakfast is really bad, poor quality. Staff are great.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the Copthorne Tara. You mentioned the hotel is conveniently located to the Tube Station and to most places of interest in the London area which suited you for the places you visited in the London area, the rooms are clean, bright and with a modern feeling, hotel has good atmosphere and great service from our staff, which all this added to your memorable experience.

However, I am disappointed to note that the breakfast was not to your satisfaction and I have notified our F&B Manager to review this and follow-up on your comments to take action to improve the quality and maintain consistency of our high level standard.

We endeavour to provide excellent customer services and facilities with the best intentions of pleasing our guests, and I am happy that overall you had a pleasant stay. Your kind comments have been passed on to our Management and Staff with much appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Borås, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Reviewed November 15, 2012

A fairly tired hotel that I would rate a low 3 star. The train keep you awake to well after midnight, and wake you up 5am! Room ok, but everything is old and the bath towels has seen better days.
No nice restaurants or cafe outside, the area feels a bit offside. Would not stay here again unless they did offer a really cheap deal, it is not worth the money.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from the railway tracks!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am disappointed that your stay was not to your expectation.

I wish to advise that we are currently working on in house re-decoration and the points you have raised are important for us to improve these services and facilities we provide to our guests going forward, and I apologise for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

With regards to your mention of the noise from the tube station keeping you awake. I apologise that you found this to be intrusive, although complaints of this nature are very rare and most of our guests are not inconvenienced by this, and in fact are more pleased that the Hotel is close to the station for convenience to most places in the London area. However I have noted your comments and should you be visiting London in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me direct to ensure we facilitate your arrangements suitable to your needs.

I hope you will return in the near future to the Copthorne Tara, to give us the opportunity of ensuring you have an enjoyable stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed here on business a few times over the last 3 months but I won't be returning. Don't get me wrong the hotel is ok but the rooms are too hot. When you enter the room from the corridor you almost faint. I have had 6 different rooms and the problem is the same for all of them. The 1970s air blowers (there is no modern air con system here) are poor and very noisy and make no difference (set them to cool and the air is still hot....). The windows don't open so no chance of any cool fresh air. All in all a poor nights sleep. My latest visit was on a cold November day, I dread to think what the rooms are like in the height of the summer. Avoid if you like a good nights sleep!!

Room Tip: No rooms are good, they are all like ovens!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems and the discomfort you experienced with the air conditioning unit in your room during your stay. It is our best intention to please our guests as best we can to have an enjoyable stay, and I am disappointed that this was not the case in your situation. Thank you for making me aware of this and I have notified our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper the issues you raised for action to be taken to ensure these problems do not reoccur in the future.

May I also inform for future reference, the windows in the rooms can be opened at the request of the guests to our Reception or the Duty Manager.

I hope you will visit us at the Copthorne Tara again soon to enable us to take the opportunity of ensuring your stay is a pleasant one.

Please contact me direct, should your require assistance with future bookings, and I will be more than happy to assist with your specific requirements.