“Not bad but rooms are HOT HOT HOT!”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #473 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed here on business a few times over the last 3 months but I won't be returning. Don't get me wrong the hotel is ok but the rooms are too hot. When you enter the room from the corridor you almost faint. I have had 6 different rooms and the problem is the same for all of them. The 1970s air blowers (there is no modern air con system here) are poor and very noisy and make no difference (set them to cool and the air is still hot....). The windows don't open so no chance of any cool fresh air. All in all a poor nights sleep. My latest visit was on a cold November day, I dread to think what the rooms are like in the height of the summer. Avoid if you like a good nights sleep!!

Room Tip: No rooms are good, they are all like ovens!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems and the discomfort you experienced with the air conditioning unit in your room during your stay. It is our best intention to please our guests as best we can to have an enjoyable stay, and I am disappointed that this was not the case in your situation. Thank you for making me aware of this and I have notified our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper the issues you raised for action to be taken to ensure these problems do not reoccur in the future.

May I also inform for future reference, the windows in the rooms can be opened at the request of the guests to our Reception or the Duty Manager.

I hope you will visit us at the Copthorne Tara again soon to enable us to take the opportunity of ensuring your stay is a pleasant one.

Please contact me direct, should your require assistance with future bookings, and I will be more than happy to assist with your specific requirements.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed for a few days in November 2012, booked through Londontown.com I don't think it was a spectacular deal, but i don't feel like i've been done! We arrived early and were offered an upgrade to check in straight away for £50 night, which we graciously declined - but we were at least able to leave our cases free of charge with guest services. The location is absolutely superb, only 2 minutes walk from Kensington High Street tube station. Fortunately the receptionist mentioned it might be noisy lower down and as I said i'd be very grumpy after 3 nights of no or poor sleep she allocated us a room on the 8th floor that wasn't on the railway side. Our room was far from inspiring and would be best described as perfectly adequate, it was relatively clean although there was a big crack in the toilet pan and I was a bit worried what would happen if it broke! We didn't take breakfast at the hotel, there are loads of coffee shops and cafe's for that. To sum up, I will definitely see if I can get a good deal here next time we stay in London.

1  Thank philatpaigntonbeach

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback on TripAdvisor, this is important for us to improve our services and facilities going forward. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention in particular, the problem you encountered in your room with regards to the toilet. I apologise that you were inconvenienced with unsatisfactory conditions.

I have communicated this to our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper for their follow up investigation and to take action to ensure daily maintenance checks are continuously carried out to maintain consistency of our high level standard of customer services to ensure this does not happen again.

However, I am very pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and the positive points you have made that our staff were proactive in recommending the best services and facilities to ensure your comfort in the hotel.

We also appreciate your positive comments that the hotel is centrally located, convenient to the tube station and most places of interest, which you enjoyed, and that you will return to the hotel on your next visit to London.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Your sincerely

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The room I was in was pretty large, clean and comfortable. Plenty of storage room. It's located a few minutes walk away from High Street Kensington and the tube station, so convenient for shopping and getting around. On the downside the place looks a bit old.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. I am pleased to read that that the hotel is well located for your needs and good value for money. Overall you had a pleasant stay and that most was to your expectation. Your feedback is valuable, and I have taken note of your concerns for our Management Team to look into making improvements wherever appropriate.

We look forward to every opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

From the outside the building looks very uninviting! I arrived early and was able to leave my bag for the day for free which was great. Myself and my partner then returned very late in the evening to check in. The lady at the front desk was not very welcoming and made no eye contact throughout the check in. Considering the room had been pre-paid for the check in should have been quick and simple but that was not the case. The check in took approx 15-20minutes and the ladies choice of words were concerning. After stating that "she didnt think she had a room for me" and myself becoming concerned she then managed to locate one. This is something every guest doesn't want to hear late at night.
The room was clean but for a four star hotel the bathroom needs to be updated. There was noise early morning from the cleaner which disturbed myself as well as the train located at the back of the hotel.
Due to the deal I obtained I was happy due to the location. However if I had paid full price I wouldnt have been satisfied.

Room Tip: If you stay at the back of the hotel ask for a room on a high floor due to the train line.
1  Thank Faymous789
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. Your feedback is important and valuable as it assists us to improve our customer services ongoing. I have informed our Management Team your concerns with regards to the front desk staff, your room conditions and disturbances outside your room, for their review of the situation. Our Management Team have assured steps are taken, ensuring the retraining of the staff is continuously conducted, and maintenance and housekeeping checks are monitored and maintained to a high level standard at all times.

I apologise for the inconvenience and distress this has caused during your stay, and assure you this will not be repeated in the future, as we aim to provide our guests with consistent quality customer services and facilities going forward.

However, on a positive note, I am happy to read that you managed to get a good deal and that the hotel is conveniently located and suitable for your needs.

Should you need assistance with future bookings, please contact me direct, and I will be happy to assist with your arrangements to your specific requirements.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was not our choice of hotel. We were on a hotel and theatre package and we got re-booked here because the hotel we did book was then over-booked. Perhaps for that reason we got an upgrade to a "club suite" on the top floor, which was really just a superior room, the tag "superior" already having been taken for the run-of-the-mill rooms. There are no "ordinary" ones.

Location wise it's not too bad, depending on where you want to go in London, but by tube this bit of the Circle Line is not particularly well served. You have to swap trains across the platform to/from King's Cross. South Kensington tube would be a better location with more frequent trains and direct access to the Picadilly Line without having to change.

I don't agree with other reviewers who say the fittings in the rooms look tired, but this may have been because we had a "club suite". Our room was clean and well presented and the public areas of the hotel were to a good standard. Breakfast was very good, although we had to queue on Saturday morning. There was a massive queue to check out on Saturday morning, but fortunately when it was our turn on Sunday morning there was no queue at all.

So, on the surface everything was fine. BUT.......it just felt big, impersonal, penny pinching and lacking in the finer points. There was only one shower robe/slippers provided in a double room; there were only two teabags and two milk sachets inthe room when we arrived and when we asked for more they brought just two more; there was an empty fridge but no mini-bar in the room; there was no make-up mirror for make up near the dressing table or near the shaver point in the bathroom; and the shower was a miserable trickle - don't know if this was lack of water pressure on the 12th floor or a desire to save water. Also, it was quite noisy from the tube tracks running alongside our side of the hotel.

Overall, it was good enough but I just didn't think it lived up to its pretensions. There are better, more enjoyable and better located hotels in London for this price.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side to the railway tracks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the conditions of your room and lack of facilities provided.

All feedback received, either positive or negative is taken seriously. The points you raised have been communicated to the Management team and necessary action is taken to improve these conditions, to ensure that such problems do not occur in the future.

We always endeavour to provide our guests with an excellent service during their stay with our best intentions and efforts to please all our guests. We hope your past experience does not deter you from returning to Copthorne Tara, and that when you are visiting London again you will return where we can have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services.

Please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly should you require assistance with facilitating your booking arrangements, so we can ensure your stay is a positively memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Tara soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night and advised that I had an updated room. No information was provided on what the upgrade consisted of (free internet for 24 hours which was ok). The rooms were very stuffy and the air conditioning was very noisy making it difficult to sleep unless you had earplugs. I am sure that this hotel was lovely about 30 years ago but it seriously needs refurbishment. Some of the staff need training on customer service and communication skills.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Von_Smiles

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit at the Copthorne Tara Hotel.
I have noted your mention that the room facilities appeared dated and air conditioning temperatures not suitable at the time, and I have informed our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper to investigate. I apologise for the discomfort this may have caused during your stay. Your feedback is valuable and assists us as we continue our in-house re-decorations to improving our services and facilities going forward.

With regards to your concerns of staff training, our Management Team has assured me that staff training is conducted ongoing to continuously improve our customer service and communication, and to maintain consistency with our high level standards to provide quality customer services and facilities with every intention of pleasing our guests.

I hope you will visit the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London so that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back and to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This a tired looking and quite noisy hotel which is fine for a night if bought on a special offer but not one I'd really recommend or rebook.
Seemed to have a coach party & airline crew stopover feel to it, with clean but unexciting rooms with poor sound insulation.
Insist on a room away from the railway line - it is very audible even on 7th floor and seems to run from 7am in the morning.
Location is good though, and shower was very good.

Room Tip: Insist on a quiet room away from the railway line, and get it in writing when booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. All feedback received from our guests both positive and negative are important to us to improve our services going forward. I am disappointed that you did not feel satisfied during your stay. I apologise for the lapse in our services as we do try to provide the best services possible with the best intention to please all our guests.

I am sure you can understand due to the central location of the Copthorne Tara to most places of interest in London, we are a popular hotel in the area and are able to accommodate guests from all walks of life, whether it be for business, leisure, meetings, events etc. Therefore the hotel constantly has high occupancy levels, and I am proud to say that we consistently maintain our high level of services and facilities we provide to our guests.

With regard to your point of concern to the noise from the tube station next door to the hotel, I apologise that you found this intrusive, although complaints of this nature are very rare and most of our guests are not inconvenienced by this, in fact most guests are happy with the location of the station to the hotel.

We hope this will not deter you from returning and that when you next visit London you will choose the Copthorne Tara, to enable us take the opportunity to restore your confidence and to ensure you have a pleasant and memorable stay. Should you require any assistance with facilitating your hotel arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me direct, and I will be happy to assist with your specific arrangements.

We look forward to welcoming you back.