“Missing the Wow Factor!”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #466 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 13, 2012

From the outside the building looks very uninviting! I arrived early and was able to leave my bag for the day for free which was great. Myself and my partner then returned very late in the evening to check in. The lady at the front desk was not very welcoming and made no eye contact throughout the check in. Considering the room had been pre-paid for the check in should have been quick and simple but that was not the case. The check in took approx 15-20minutes and the ladies choice of words were concerning. After stating that "she didnt think she had a room for me" and myself becoming concerned she then managed to locate one. This is something every guest doesn't want to hear late at night.
The room was clean but for a four star hotel the bathroom needs to be updated. There was noise early morning from the cleaner which disturbed myself as well as the train located at the back of the hotel.
Due to the deal I obtained I was happy due to the location. However if I had paid full price I wouldnt have been satisfied.

Room Tip: If you stay at the back of the hotel ask for a room on a high floor due to the train line.
1  Thank Faymous789
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. Your feedback is important and valuable as it assists us to improve our customer services ongoing. I have informed our Management Team your concerns with regards to the front desk staff, your room conditions and disturbances outside your room, for their review of the situation. Our Management Team have assured steps are taken, ensuring the retraining of the staff is continuously conducted, and maintenance and housekeeping checks are monitored and maintained to a high level standard at all times.

I apologise for the inconvenience and distress this has caused during your stay, and assure you this will not be repeated in the future, as we aim to provide our guests with consistent quality customer services and facilities going forward.

However, on a positive note, I am happy to read that you managed to get a good deal and that the hotel is conveniently located and suitable for your needs.

Should you need assistance with future bookings, please contact me direct, and I will be happy to assist with your arrangements to your specific requirements.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (6,790)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was not our choice of hotel. We were on a hotel and theatre package and we got re-booked here because the hotel we did book was then over-booked. Perhaps for that reason we got an upgrade to a "club suite" on the top floor, which was really just a superior room, the tag "superior" already having been taken for the run-of-the-mill rooms. There are no "ordinary" ones.

Location wise it's not too bad, depending on where you want to go in London, but by tube this bit of the Circle Line is not particularly well served. You have to swap trains across the platform to/from King's Cross. South Kensington tube would be a better location with more frequent trains and direct access to the Picadilly Line without having to change.

I don't agree with other reviewers who say the fittings in the rooms look tired, but this may have been because we had a "club suite". Our room was clean and well presented and the public areas of the hotel were to a good standard. Breakfast was very good, although we had to queue on Saturday morning. There was a massive queue to check out on Saturday morning, but fortunately when it was our turn on Sunday morning there was no queue at all.

So, on the surface everything was fine. BUT.......it just felt big, impersonal, penny pinching and lacking in the finer points. There was only one shower robe/slippers provided in a double room; there were only two teabags and two milk sachets inthe room when we arrived and when we asked for more they brought just two more; there was an empty fridge but no mini-bar in the room; there was no make-up mirror for make up near the dressing table or near the shaver point in the bathroom; and the shower was a miserable trickle - don't know if this was lack of water pressure on the 12th floor or a desire to save water. Also, it was quite noisy from the tube tracks running alongside our side of the hotel.

Overall, it was good enough but I just didn't think it lived up to its pretensions. There are better, more enjoyable and better located hotels in London for this price.

Room Tip: Get a room on the opposite side to the railway tracks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the conditions of your room and lack of facilities provided.

All feedback received, either positive or negative is taken seriously. The points you raised have been communicated to the Management team and necessary action is taken to improve these conditions, to ensure that such problems do not occur in the future.

We always endeavour to provide our guests with an excellent service during their stay with our best intentions and efforts to please all our guests. We hope your past experience does not deter you from returning to Copthorne Tara, and that when you are visiting London again you will return where we can have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services.

Please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly should you require assistance with facilitating your booking arrangements, so we can ensure your stay is a positively memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Tara soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night and advised that I had an updated room. No information was provided on what the upgrade consisted of (free internet for 24 hours which was ok). The rooms were very stuffy and the air conditioning was very noisy making it difficult to sleep unless you had earplugs. I am sure that this hotel was lovely about 30 years ago but it seriously needs refurbishment. Some of the staff need training on customer service and communication skills.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Von_Smiles

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit at the Copthorne Tara Hotel.
I have noted your mention that the room facilities appeared dated and air conditioning temperatures not suitable at the time, and I have informed our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper to investigate. I apologise for the discomfort this may have caused during your stay. Your feedback is valuable and assists us as we continue our in-house re-decorations to improving our services and facilities going forward.

With regards to your concerns of staff training, our Management Team has assured me that staff training is conducted ongoing to continuously improve our customer service and communication, and to maintain consistency with our high level standards to provide quality customer services and facilities with every intention of pleasing our guests.

I hope you will visit the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London so that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back and to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This a tired looking and quite noisy hotel which is fine for a night if bought on a special offer but not one I'd really recommend or rebook.
Seemed to have a coach party & airline crew stopover feel to it, with clean but unexciting rooms with poor sound insulation.
Insist on a room away from the railway line - it is very audible even on 7th floor and seems to run from 7am in the morning.
Location is good though, and shower was very good.

Room Tip: Insist on a quiet room away from the railway line, and get it in writing when booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. All feedback received from our guests both positive and negative are important to us to improve our services going forward. I am disappointed that you did not feel satisfied during your stay. I apologise for the lapse in our services as we do try to provide the best services possible with the best intention to please all our guests.

I am sure you can understand due to the central location of the Copthorne Tara to most places of interest in London, we are a popular hotel in the area and are able to accommodate guests from all walks of life, whether it be for business, leisure, meetings, events etc. Therefore the hotel constantly has high occupancy levels, and I am proud to say that we consistently maintain our high level of services and facilities we provide to our guests.

With regard to your point of concern to the noise from the tube station next door to the hotel, I apologise that you found this intrusive, although complaints of this nature are very rare and most of our guests are not inconvenienced by this, in fact most guests are happy with the location of the station to the hotel.

We hope this will not deter you from returning and that when you next visit London you will choose the Copthorne Tara, to enable us take the opportunity to restore your confidence and to ensure you have a pleasant and memorable stay. Should you require any assistance with facilitating your hotel arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me direct, and I will be happy to assist with your specific arrangements.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was in a business trip at this terrible and poor hotel. It is outdated and 70's look alike. Smelly
mold corridors, rooms need updating, noisy air conditioned, noisy minibar (and empty!), no in room safety deposit box, no international plug adapter (had to request at reception upon 20£ deposit!), no free wi-fi (had to pay 10£ per 24 hours no-stop that only allows 1 computer).
The breakfast was terrible and poor. Only English breakfast choice, only 1 cheese, 1 bread, the yogurt is served in a big unhygienic bowl, staff had few experience as they made us walk around the room looking for table.
The only positive aspect is a 5 minute walk to the underground and friendly staff at concierge.
All the rest, if you are travelling in business is to avoid.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback via Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important and taken seriously as these assist us to continuously improve our level of standard of services and facilities going forward.

With regards to the points you raised, please see my response:

Rooms seem dated: we are currently working on in-house redecoration whilst we continuously are monitoring our guest’s feedback to assist us in improving these facilities and services ongoing. I have informed Our Maintenance Team and Executive housekeeper your concerns with your room conditions for their review.

MiniBar Fridge: Should the mini bar fridge noise have caused an inconvenience, it could be turned down using the operating knob, or unplugged if not in use by the guest. Please note that all mini bar fridges operate similar to all fridges and have a humming noise, and thus the mini bar was not faulty. However, I have noted this for our Maintenance Manager to review.

Safety Deposit Box: These are available to our guests upon request at reception and placed in the room subject to paying a refundable deposit.

International Plug: These are available to our guests at reception at a fee, as I am sure you can understand the difficulty to have to control these if left in the room.

WIFI: please be advised our tariffs are in line with other hotels of a similar standard.

Breakfast: I am disappointed to read that this was not to your satisfaction, as we often receive positive compliments from our guests with regards to the breakfast buffet. I apologise that your experience was a distasteful one and that you had negative interactions with our staff. I have informed our F&B Manager of these concerns for review.

I have noted all the above points you have raised and forwarded to our Management Team to review and to take action to improve our services and facilities, and to conduct regular staff training to ensure we maintain our high standard of customer service going forward. We endeavour to provide our guest with high quality services and facilities with our best intention to please all our guests.

Furthermore, please note that I have also communicated your positive feedback that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the friendly staff at our Concierge. Your compliments were well received.

I hope you will change your mind and that you will choose the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London, to give us the opportunity of providing our excellent services to you and to ensure you have a positive memorable experience.

If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Got a good deal on late rooms.com. Lovely location ,on the circle line 5mins walk to shops buses and station.hotel had a bereau de change, a little shop and a nice Asian restaurant.room was massive for London hotel rooms.rooms were clean and basic not modern decor though.shuttle buses to the airport were regular and cheap. Breakfast was expensive and not worth it, was not keen on the service at the reception and restaurant I think the staff had problems with English language. Had to spend unnecessary time atthe lobby sorting out which card they will charge,why ,when etcetc which was annoying.

Room Tip: Choose a handicap room it has lots of room but an adjoining door
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at the CopthorneTara, which is important as it assists us to improve our quality and standards of services and facilities going forward.

I am pleased that we were able to make your stay comfortable and that the facilities available in and around the area of the Tara hotel added to your memorable experience.

In terms of your concern with the interaction with our staff at the front desk, please be assured that ongoing staff training is conducted as we endeavour to maintain a high quality standard of service, continuosly improving our services we provide to our guests.

I trust you will be visiting the Tara soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

the copthorne tara presented a fine hotel experience with a few minor hitches.

the location, just near hyde park and off kensington high street is terrific for seeing may of london's sights via the convenient tube stop.

the hotel staff was quite accomodating and the conierge desk was alway s open with helpful advice,we got a great rate booking in advance but when we extended for one evening ran into a bit of a higher pricing snag that was not too expensive.

one minor complaint , as with many hotels they nickel and dime you with the extras like charging 10 poiunds a day for internet and charging for 800 numbers called from the room
small complaints and overall a top flight place

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your positive review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Tara and that the team exceeded your expectations to the point that you extended your stay. Your comments made us feel very proud and I am sure it will truly encourage the team to strive even further for improving consistency every day.

I have taken note of your concerns that you pointed out for our Management Team to review for appropriate improvements in the future, so that we can endeavour to provide our guests with the best possible services ongoing.

I look forward to welcoming you back.