“Suitable for our needs, but not 4 star!”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #477 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We booked 3 rooms at this hotel recently for our 3 day visit to London. On first appearances it wasn't pleasing to the eye at all, tho once inside the reception is clean and well presented. Our check in was easy, but then up to the rooms, one of the 3 rooms had a bad musty/damp smell. The rooms are quite dated and are in dire need of a renovation. We were on the second floor. The king size beds needed a topper as feeling the 2 king singles under the sheets was not very comfortable. The rooms were good in regards to noise, didn't hear much from the hallway or other rooms (maybe I was just dog tired from all the touristy stuff all day). The location was great, close to shops, tube etc.
The breakfast however was the biggest down fall of this hotel, it was awful. I'm sure the eggs were powdered, the bacon salty, the coffee dreadful, the breakfast sausages, well I don't even know if they were sausages and sadly the service lacked in this department greatly. The gentleman on the door did not cope well with pressure, he was so stressed and came across rather rude to not only the clientele but his staff. There was also a language barrier problem with many of the staff. Even later in the evening when we headed back in there for late night drinks it was still an issue with staff unable to speak/understand english well.
All in all the hotel was fine but 4 stars, no way. I would stay again, tho would not eat there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give a detail report with regards to your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay and that the location of the hotel was of such great use to you, with exception of a few concerns that you have raised.

Your feedback is taken seriously and I am disappointed to read that the breakfast was not to your expectation and also your interpretation of your interactions with our staff. I can assure you that customer service and guest satisfaction are amongst our top priorities. Please accept my apologies if we failed to meet your expectations in this matter.

I have noted your concerns and communicated same to our Management Team to review our Staff Training Processes and for action to be taken to improve our communications, services and facilities we provide to our guests going forward. I hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our services the next time you are in London.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This review may appear a little detailed and negative but this hotel has many positives including the dedicated staff who are both pleasant and amenable.
I wrote this review whilst staying at the hotel, as a corporate guest.
I have stayed in a few Millennium Copthorne hotels over the years, the last being in Queenstown N.Z. I would say that they are acceptable hotels but nothing special.
Be wary of map systems, one I used put this hotel over the Waitrose store on Earl's Court Road. The true location is turn left out of the Kensington High Street tube station, take the first left and go to the far end, turn left again and the hotel is right in front of you. The location would score 95% for ease of access to public transport.
The external appearance of this hotel is of a 1960's planning mistake, not helped by the dreadful ill-fitting net curtains that gives it the feel of a 1970's to 80's civil service building.
Internally there is confusion between the classical wooden trim and 'sports bar' style illuminated signage which rather clash than compliment each other.
The newspaper stand in the bar is an assault on the eyes, given the surroundings, i.e. cheap white metal finish in a room of brass fittings and wooden trim. Having said this the bar is very pleasant and the staff accommodating. It appears to be kept in a pristine condition with even the back bar mirrors being polished, which is a rarity in many a bar. During my stay a pint of Becks Vier was £4.20, from memory.
The public areas I would rate at 90%.
Overall I would score the hotel at about 65 - 75% because the real let down is the rooms, which would be fine for the location if the price was say 30% cheaper.
The rooms are clean but very tired with evidence of many furniture changes over the years and the inherent rough areas of furniture where items have been altered. Surface mounted cables are unattractive and there was no toilet paper in the dispenser, but thankfully a spare roll was to hand. The paintwork needs refreshing and the wall paper was badly damaged in places.
The bathroom is clean and functional with melamine laminate wall sheet where you might expect tiles.
The aircon, although bulky is effective and quiet in operation, which is always a positive; having stayed in many a hotel where this one item alone can often make or ruin a holiday.
Would I stay here again?
Yes I would but were I to be paying, I would expect to pay no more than £78 for the superior room which was I believe being marketed at £116/night excl breakfast.

Room Tip: The location is quiet, so any room should be quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your detailed feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara hotel. All feedback received, either positive or negative is taken seriously. The points you raised are communicated to our Management Team and necessary action is taken to improve these conditions going forward.

We always endeavour to provide our guests with an excellent service during their stay with our best intentions and efforts to please all our guests, and hope you will return to Copthorne Tara when you next visit London to give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services and facilities.

Please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly should you require assistance with facilitating your booking arrangements, so we can ensure your stay is a positively memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Copthorne Tara soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I chose to stay here for my first trip to London as I'm a member of their loyalty program and knew their hotels are essentially always top notch. The lobby is very nice with a small convenience store and currency exchange off to the right hand side. The rooms were a decent size but could definitely use serious upgrading. The arm chairs were very worn down, the labeled "mini bar" was just an empty mini fridge that didn't keep my water above room temperature and the gigantic air conditioning unit didn't help keep my room cool.

The bathroom was fine although they don't supply washcloths so definitely bring your own if you're used to using them and there appeared to be dried urine or some other yellowish substance on the toilet cover which housekeeping never cleaned in my 5 night stay.

We were given coupons for breakfast, £10 a person, and they offered pastries, toast, fruit, sausage, bacon, juice, cereal and the worst scrambled eggs I have ever tasted. We ate at the Muffin Man restaurant right around the corner which was MUCH better and we spent no more than £14 total.

The charge of £10/night for wifi is crazy although most Millennium Copthorne hotels do this and even their internet stations near the Cafe Express charged for Internet! Had to pay £1 for literally a 30 second use. They should give 5-10 minutes complimentary.

As stated, the location is close to the High Street Kensington Underground stop in addition to restaurants, convenience stores, shops and Kensington Palace. I'm not sure I'll stay here again but maybe when they upgrade it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest

I wish to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback.

I have noted your concerns that you have raised with our Management Team, in particular to the condition of the arm chairs in your room. We are monitoring all feedback from our guests as we currently are working on in-house redecorations to improve our facilities and services going forward. At the same time our Management Team will review all points you have raised to follow up and action to be taken to ensure these problems do not occur in the future.

I apologise for any inconveniences caused during your stay and should you return to the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London, I wish to take the opportunity of restoring your confidence. Please contact our offices directly and we will assist with your arrangements to ensure we provide the best services and facilties according to your specific needs so that you have an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just a few minutes walk from Kensington High Street (and tube station!). The hotel was very comfortable although the rooms are starting to look a little dated (patterned carpets never a good idea!) but otherwise comfortable and well equipped.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GillD1954

Dear Guest

I am so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and the location of the Copthorne Tara is convenient to most places of interest in the London area which added to your memorable experience.

I have no doubt that you will choose the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London and wish to take the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Liked it a lot, shame you can't open the windows though! Some kind of retro 1980s aircon thing going on! Impressed with having an iron in the room. Staff friendly, quiet, good value. Will go again. Missed breakfast as I slept in :(

• Stayed: September 2012
Shahida S, Pa to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us I am very happy to hear you had such a good time and found the hotel to be well located and good value for money.

We always pride ourselves on the quality of our customer services and facilities and particularly the standard of our rooms and I am pleased to hear you were not disappointed.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

A good luxury hotel in an excellent location, close to High Street Kensington underground. I was upgraded on arrival to a Club Room which gave access to the Club facilities I.e. breakfast, papers, Internet access etc. in a separate room. On the 12th floor, so great view over the city. Room a bit tired and could have done with a bit of TLC but everything was there. Breakfast was excellent. A bit of money spent on upgrading the rooms could make this a great hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel.

I am happy to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay and, although you found your room to be somewhat old fashioned, your comments are monitored by out Management Team whilst we are working on in-house redecoration of our bedrooms and corridors ongoing.

We trust you will visit the Copthorne Tara again in the not too distant future to enable us to provide improved services and facilities to you and to ensure you have a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Copthorne Tara Hotel provided us with everything we needed and the service was great! We loved how close it was to sites and the underground which made it ideal for site seeing. The room was comfortable, spacious and well kept. The staff was very helpful and provided wonderful customer service. We also enjoyed eating at the hotel and food was great!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lindsay H

Dear Guest

Thank you for positive review on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am delighted to hear had a pleasant stay and that all was to your expectation. We always endeavour to provide the best possible services and facilities to our guests and your feedback motivates us to continue to improve these going forward.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.