“Time for a Revamp!”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #480 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This Hotel is ideally situated just off Kengsington High Street and a short walk straight into Marks and Spencers, Boots and the Underground Station. The Hotel dates from the 80's and a revamp is no very necessary. The Hotels corridors are stuffy and heated even in the middle of summer and you feel like passing out walking down them. The rooms are comfortable, but the showers and bathrooms need upgrading. There are hotels in Africa which outshines them. The staff are friendly and courteous. The services could include Wi-fi at least for all guests. The two top floors are Club Rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Railway Line side (Uneven numbers) tend to be more noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hannes D
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit at the Copthorne Tara Hotel and that you found the hotel well located to most places of interest in the area. I have noted your mention that the room facilities appeared dated and air conditioning temperatures not suitable at the time, but at the same time I am happy to hear you found the room both clean and comfortable.

We always monitor our guest feedback whilst we continue our in-house re-decorations and action is taken to improve our services and facilities going forward. I thank you for your positive remarks that the Staff was friendly and courteous and have forwarded same to our Management Team which I am sure they will appreciate your kind comments.

I hope you will visit the Copthorne Tara when you next visit London so that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back and to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night while we were visiting the Olympics. Our room was tired and dated and badly in need of refurbishment. The whole hotel seemed a bit tired. We have stayed there before but next time we'll look elswhere

Room Tip: we were on the 3rd floor and heard every train that went by our window.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank irish1234
Reviewed August 12, 2012

It's a four star hotel but:

1. You have to pay for Wi-Fi - and it's not cheap

2. You even have to pay to get your phone recharged!

3. If you want to plug your phone into a socket to recharge it without having to pay for the privilege, they will tell you that you have to be a "club member" to do this.

4. Staff have a hostile "Take it or leave it" attitude to the expensive wi-fi and phone charging charges.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David D
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Good location, close to Kensington High St and tube station. Stayed in a Club room and very inferior compared to normal Millennium Club rooms - desperately need refurbishing. Dread to think what a Standard room looks like if Club is so tatty. Double bed is tiny - do book two singles otherwise you are in for a very cramped night's sleep. Not enough electrical sockets for chargers. Bathroom very tired and in need of an overhaul. However, Club lounge is good, serving excellent continental breakfast. Staff are charming and helpful. Bugis Street restaurant within the hotel is worth a visit. Dodgy WiFi connections. Recommend staying in Millennium Gloucester for a few extra £££'s!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks during the Olympics and had an absolutely first class time. I can absolutely reccommend it.

The staff from the moment of my arrival to departure were professional, friendly, helpful and courteous. The dining and bar staff in particular left a lasting impression on me I won't forget with attention to detail, simple efficient service and always a smile. I felt welcome, valued and relaxed as a result.

My room was clean, comfortable and well furnished. The air con was a god send in the one week of British summer we had !

It's location is ideal for access to the sights and is only a short walk to the tube and Hyde Park.

My one and only small criticism is its close location to the tube line, despite excellent double glazing to the room, the faint rumble of passing trains beneath could still be heard and felt in my room on the east side. However, the tubes early starts and late finishes for its enhanced Olympic service wudnt I'm sure be an issue any other time.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable time, I would definitely reccommend it and return myself.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank craigcashmore
Reviewed August 5, 2012

What most upset us about this hotel was the exorbitant extra bed charge. I had checked with our booking agency before, but still the hotel tried to stick us with the extra bed charge. I spoke to several people on staff to no avail and had to fight the (!) 24 pounds/day charge when we got home. This is an average hotel, trying to punch above its weight. Other problems also continued--the coffee and tea were not replenished enough, although the maids were very nice about giving us more, which makes me think the mgmt clamps down on this. Such a small detail, but indicative of the "scrimping" atmosphere at this hotel. For the price and the "nickel and diming" you can do better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DoubleN
Reviewed August 3, 2012

very nice place close to kensington hight street station. Kensingto high street is gorgoeous plenty of shops (gap, espritm, holland and barret, tesco wholefood hall)
lovely room (we took a club room top floor) very nich bed lovely tv lcd bathroom clean and spacios
fantastic continental breakfast in the private club room (fresh fruit, ham chess bread croissant) very good filter coffee
staff very helpful and nice
for sure I will return