“Great location”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #470 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Great location, just a couple of minutes from High Street Kensington, with its tube and buses. Rooms on the small side and very warm; bathroom has a reasonable shower and bath with toileteries and a hairdryer provided. We had a view over the Albert Hall and London Eye but also the underground running just beside the hotel. I thought that might keep me awake but I didn't even notice it after the first night. Otherwise very quiet for such a central location. The room had a good sized fridge and a kettle. Excellent continental breakfast but make sure you get a breakfast-inclusive rate! Very good friendly sevice in the restaurant - food not bad either.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank conan
Write a ReviewReviews (6,774)

Reviewed February 20, 2008

I stayed with my wife in the Copthorne Tara from 15 th to 17 th of February 2008. I have stayed there before on two seperate occassions but this was the first time as a base for a theatre weekend. The position is excellent a couple of hundred yards from Kensington Hight Street Tube Station.TheTube Station is well served and I would recommend this hotel for sightseeing,theatre ,shopping and the museums.
The hotel was clean ,and processed us to our room very quickly.
We had the continental brekfast on both mornings and found it excellent. It is served in a smaller quieter area off the main restaurant and is all the better fot that.The bar at night feels like a graveyard with lights.
Our room looked a little tired and was a little hot but I find that of most hotels anyway. The room was on the 9 th floor at the back. This might be a little noisy for some as it overlooks the tube/railway Station. We did not really notice as we were too tired from sightseeing to care but I think that it might get a little trying if you are a light sleeper. I enjoyed the experience and at the price thought that it was a good deal.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank plus50
Reviewed February 19, 2008

After finding out that this was the hotel that accepted my Priceline bid and reading the reviews, I was SOOOO nervous about this hotel. My husband and I just got back from our four day stay and yes, the place could do with some upgrading, particulary the bathroom but it's still a decent hotel by European standards. Plus, you CAN'T beat the location - we were right in the middle of Kensington, a close walk to the palaces, Harrods, Royal Albert Hall, shopping, restaurant and the all-important underground stop which was about a block away and really made getting around the city so convenient. We even used the underground to get to Heathrow for our return trip (55 minutes) but not a bad ride at all and a great way to see outskirts you wouldn't normally see.

Overall, I would recommend this place for its affordability, relative comfort and location.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raylani
Reviewed February 19, 2008

I got this hotel using priceline (which claims it is 4 star, when almost every other site says 31/2) for $99 which I was really happy about for London. The hotels website listed 99 pounds which would have been double. However, I almost ending up paying that much anyway, and here is my biggest complaint about this hotel:
Internet in your room was 20 pounds a night!!! That's right, $40!!!!!! So I ending up upgrading my room to a corporate room for 40 pounds per night which gave me free internet and breakfast in the private lounge which was quite pleasant.

The location is in a pleasant shopping area in Kensington, and one block from the subway which is really nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but nothing exciting. I basically would recommend this hotel only if you get a great deal. And I suppose for London, I probably did.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Booked via BAHolidays.com. I usually stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel for some of my holidays and a good cheaper hotel for another few days. I chose this as the good cheaper hotel in 2004 and was happy with it so despite some disappointing reviews chose to stay again for New Year's Eve 2007and New Year's day 2008. Again I was not disappointed. It does not pretend to be a top London hotel. It is an honest, well located, good value for money hotel. This is London folks and given the amount of seriously horrid hotels in worse locations for the same cost or more in many instances you could not do much better. Yes, the bathroom in my room was tired with pannelling from the 70's, but the water pressure and temperature was great, the bedroom size was reasonable, the linen good, the double glazing muted the train noise very well and the staff were courteous and efficient. The continental breakfast was very satisfactory and the location really convenient with High Street Ken tube a couple of minutes away and easy access to all parts of inner London. I tried a different hotel as my cheaper selection a couple of years ago, a mistake I will not repeat. The Copthorne Tara will do me!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank willreturn52
Reviewed January 18, 2008

Stayed here 4 nights through work. Second floor large room, advanced lighting switch system which worked very well. Powerful a/c which allowed me to dry my soaking clothes after I was caught in a shower very easily. Only downside whole side of the hotel does back onto district/circle tube line which even with secondary double glazing can be disturbing if light sleeper , as trains run till about 12.30am. Water pressure very high - so high in fact shower was slightly too much of a power shower! Decor slightly dated but excellent bed linen/towels. Breakfast very satisfactory, continental had good selection and english was fresh and tasty. - TV had 5 channels plus couple of digital which seems to be typical for central london. This hotel is genuine 4* luxury, with excellent High St Ken location. Downsides? Tube noise and they charge a fiver to use the fitness room. Don't know what it's like - don't pay it! go for a run in nearby Kensington Palace Gardens/Hyde Park (if it ever stops bloody raining!)

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank timbo470
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I was booked into this hotel through work and was a bit apprehensive given some of the reviews, but I had a very nice stay.

The hotel is about 3 minutes walk from the tube (exit tube station, turn left and left again), set back from Kensington High Street. There are a number of big name shops and a couple of Express supermarkets nearby. The area seemed fine and I had no problems even when I got back to the hotel relatively late.

I rang up the day before and asked for a room that didn't face the tube, and this was done. It was a good size, a little dated but clean and well equipped. There was a fridge in the room (not a mini bar) and this was also useful. Although I was concerned about having a room directly outside the lifts, thinking the doors banking and people talking would disturb me I heard nothing as the doors were semi mechanic and shut quietly. The shower was fantastic.

I didn't have a cooked breakfast but the continental spread was really good and the service very quick. Coffee was horrid though!

All staff were pleasant and I would happily stay there again, both for the location and the amenities and for either business or leisure.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business