“Pre-Wedding night!”

Ranked #451 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Pre-Wedding night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

It took me a while but I am writing to say a HUGE thank you to the team at Blakes! I have stayed at the hotel the night before my wedding, so you can imagine the nerves!... All the staff were so friendly, helpful, always there! I think I made about million phone calls to the reception to make sure that I am ready for the morning! And on every occasion they met my enquiries and questions with genuine smile and positive attitude! The restaurant manger sent me a drink to the room with compliments wishing me to relax before the big day! What a place! People are the main asset to the hotel. They definitely make all possible and impossible for you to come back! In the morning there was almost all team in the lobby just to wish me luck when I was leaving in the car!

I have stayed in a very cozy but spacious room! There was walking wardrobe, big bathroom. I requested a floor length mirror in the room... I don't know where they found it at 10pm but it was waiting for me when I came back from the diner! And bed... The shape reminded me a bed for a queen! I slept like a baby or shall I say a wife to be? I think I stayed in one of the Director type rooms.

I am definitely coming back soon if not for a stay than for drinks at the bar! Thank you once again for making that night so memorable for me.

Room Tip: Every room has a unique character!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Maryia Z
Dear Cerbiattushka,

Thank you for finding time to review our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and you had a wonderful stay with us.Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, they really enjoyed looking after you and we all genuinely wish you all the best in your married life again.

I look forward to welcoming you to Blakes soon, please contact me directly if I can be on any assistance for your future stay, whether it will be for your anniversary stay or just a couple of drinks in our restaurant as you have mentioned.

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Blakes Hotel during our trip to London. The hotel is an absolute gem in the midst of a busy city! We booked a double room which was light and bright (4th floor) the room was very romantic / clean / chic with modern touches. The food in general was very impressive for such a small hotel - most of dishes are healthy and tasty which was perfect for what we wanted. We also felt the staff were very personal and did everything to make us feel at home. The only negative thing I would say is the lift is quite small so I opted for stairs on most days. Overall it’s a beautifully designed hotel which is very unique. It’s luxurious without being pretentious - I look forward to returning !

Room Tip: Higher floors are bright and airy - secret roof terrace on the 4th floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kieran A
Dear Kieran A,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, I am very pleased that we have exceeded your expectations. Our staff always tries their best to accommodate any of your requests to ensure you have a wonderful stay, feel pampered and part of our little family, I am glad that they made you feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Blakes in the near future!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Was really looking forward to staying at one of the world's top boutique hotels. The service was good. The room small. And bed rather soft. However, what was most upsetting was arriving in the hotel bar at about 11pm to find three large men one just in his underwear, two others without shirts having a good time with women who appeared to be 'working'. Expensive bottles of drink were flowing. It was clear that the hotel staff thought this was acceptable behaviour. Not for me. My guest and I chose to leave the hotel and find another bar to have a night cap. Wont be going back to Blakes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Maxtedbel
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Maxtedbel,

I am sincerely sorry to hear what you have experienced in our restaurant. We understand your disappointment and that your expectations were not met. We were aware of this situation and I would like to inform you that these guests have been blacklisted from our hotel and restaurant and were asked to leave. Please note that we do not tolerate this kind of behavior.

I sincerely apologise this had happened and understand your frustrations. I would like to discuss this matter with you, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly, if the time allows, but will fully understand if otherwise.

I look forward you speaking with you soon.

Director of Blakes
Ashford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

What can I say, disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. Having booked though Mr and Mrs Smith with photo's of sheer white fabrics and morroccan-esque opulence I was quite surprised that the room was too dark to find things in my suitcase. I'm not sure where in the hotel these images are taken but not in any of the public space or our room. Nevertheless this was more my husbands annoyance than mine. I could see where they were going with this but you did wonder what this darkness might be hiding but we'll come to this.

Having been overseas for some years we weren't up to speed on good restaurants in the area but with names like San Lorenzo, Chez Bruce and Zuma on their website I felt confident in asking the "sexiest hotel 2013" for a recommendation on a local Italian for our weekend escape.

Our reservation was for 8:30. With this in mind we headed to the bar where our friendly barman mixed cocktails in front of us whilst an older businessman was eaten alive by his younger "girlfriend" (shall we call her?) to our rear. I'm no prude but this wasn't a private members club at 3am. It was pre dinner drinks at 7. Aside from this the bar was next to empty until we left.
I was quite surprised when at 8:30 we arrived at Rocco as booked by the hotel. If we had bought our three young children would have been in good company. Rocco is a typical family eatery for those who may not know. There were half a dozen children, some teens in dinosaur masks fresh from the natural history museum and some girls nights out. Did they really think a couple escaping children for the weekend at London's sexiest hotel were looking for this? We tried to go elsewhere but there were no reservations at those we tried. I was starving and over it by now!

With the notion of romance dampened and too annoyed to sleep I spoke with the management who apologised and offered me a complimentary continental breakfast. We already had one included so he upgraded it to full English.

By morning with shutters open the room was quite stylish although the italic wallpaper was a bit dated, the bedspread pretty faded and a light had burnt out but it would have been nice in the 90's.

We headed down to what eventuated as undercooked toast, cold watery eggs and deep fried bacon. By now it felt pointless informing them, I just wanted to check out. I was probably expecting to find fault by now but you'd hope to be pleasantly surprised with a hotel of thus reputation but no. The piles of books dotted around had torn spines and just looked misplaced rather than styled, there were stains on the upholstery of the dining room chairs, the white tiles were cracked and dirty and looked like they should be in the kitchen of a greasy spoon not a high class restaurant the oranges and pomegranates in the public areas looked dried up and old much like pot pourri which I think went out of fashion with italic wallpaper. Fresh would have made the world of difference to the aesthetic. These things are mostly cosmetic but contributed to the feeling of being somewhere tired and seedy. In the end I was too cross to check out I just walked out to a new hotel (The Orange, in Pimlico. Delightful) for fear of overstepping the mark!

Plus points. Service was speedy. Not proactive but the were very quick to react when we requested a bottle opener and someone to fix the shutters etc. but sadly I would not recommend this hotel and I was unimpressed with how they dealt with there issues. (10% discount on our next stay). Are you serious, why would I come back? Also disappointed with Mr and Mrs Smith particularly when I phoned up for advice and was told to expect something very special. C'est la vie, there are more important things but we felt cheated out of what was to be a little bit of much anticipated luxury.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank webbins
Dear Webbins,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I was disappointed to learn we did not exceed your expectations.

I was saddened to hear that you did not like the design of your room. All our rooms are individually designed and some are bright with light décor, some are more modern and some are very traditional, dark with a seductive/sexy feel. I would appreciate if you would let me know what room number you stayed in so that I can check the brightness of the lighting.

I believe that there could have been a human error as we do recommend Roka restaurant, which is one of the top restaurants in London. This might have been mistaken with the Roca you went to. Please accept my apologies for this misunderstanding.

I can assure you that we under no circumstances deep-fry our breakfast, our chef and the restaurant team work very hard to ensure it is all of a high standard. I have personally checked all fruits around the whole hotel and sampled oranges to confirm freshness, we do this on a weekly basis. Based on your comments, I have replaced a few pomegranates that could have been missed.

I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly so that I can speak with you regarding your stay, but will understand if the time does not allow.

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I recently stayed at Blakes for 2 weeks with my 2 young children whilst visiting family in the neighborhood. We specifically chose the basement room in the building next to the hotel which had its own entrance and provided us with privacy. Even though the room was a basement room there was enough light when blinds were open. The room was quite spacious with a large comfortable bed. The living area allowed for an extra bed if needed. There was also a separate kitchenette area with a sink which was practical with children and for a longer stay.
The room and bathroom were extremely clean. It is rare that I have stayed at a hotel without any complaint about the cleanliness. All towels provided during our stay were practically new and plush and bed sheets were crisp and very clean. A hook in the bathroom would have been practical but then again I guess it wasn't part of the all mirror decor.
What makes Blakes so special is the very professional and accommodating staff. EVERYONE at the hotel was super friendly and extremely polite, going out of their way to make sure guests needs were met. No hotel is perfect and every hotel can be improved but investing in your staff is what really makes the difference! Thank you Blakes for a superb stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Helia A,

thank you for your review. I am pleased that were were able to exceed your expectations and you loved your stay with us. It was a real pleasure looking after your family.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family to Blakes in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed at Blakes for 1 night with my wife for a romantic night away as it was recommended by the Mr and Mrs Smith website (should have paid more attention to Tripadvisor!). I had high hopes and had heard a lot of positive things about it. If like me you expect your boutique hotels to be spotless and luxurious you will be very disappointed . The curtains in our first room (308) were so shredded by the sun that they literally hung in tatters. Out second room (410) was better but still shabby. This is a hotel living on a reputation that is well past it's sell by date. They claim to be one of the top 5 bars in London. It was a Friday night and we were literally the only people there at 11pm.

On the plus side all of the staff were excellent. The food in the restaurant was also very good although you feel that you are sitting in a corridor.

I would never return and could not honestly recommend it to anyone despite a great location.

To the management - you really need to invest in a total refurbishment to make this a great hotel once again. Apologies and a bit of paint won't do it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank iainm638
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and you did not enjoy your stay fully with us at Blakes. I can assure you that we are currently replacing the curtains and our maintenance and housekeeping teams are working hard on improving the rooms you stayed in.

On the other hand, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant and that our staff looked after you well.

Please contact me if you would like to give us another try and I will ensure that everything is in order.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Blakes and loved the food in the restaurant. Would certainly stay here again.One niggle was that I would love a spotlight in the bathroom to be able to put my face on (!).I stayed in room 208 which was quite weird since you could only get out of the bed one side but it was quiet and restful. I like a hotel where I can smoke in the room as well because London is such a nanny state sometimes and they really have the best deep cleaning so you never feel like you even notice the smell.Wonderful inclusive hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant and overall positive feedback of your stay. I am glad you felt comfortable and could enjoy your stay exactly the way you like. Our excellent team is always delighted to assist you with any request to ensure you are pampered and satisfied with our service.

I have noted your feedback regarding the lighting in the bathroom; our Maintenance team is on the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Director of Blakes Hotel