“Superb 2 weeks at Blakes!”
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #404 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I recently stayed at Blakes for 2 weeks with my 2 young children whilst visiting family in the neighborhood. We specifically chose the basement room in the building next to the hotel which had its own entrance and provided us with privacy. Even though the room was a basement room there was enough light when blinds were open. The room was quite spacious with a large comfortable bed. The living area allowed for an extra bed if needed. There was also a separate kitchenette area with a sink which was practical with children and for a longer stay.
The room and bathroom were extremely clean. It is rare that I have stayed at a hotel without any complaint about the cleanliness. All towels provided during our stay were practically new and plush and bed sheets were crisp and very clean. A hook in the bathroom would have been practical but then again I guess it wasn't part of the all mirror decor.
What makes Blakes so special is the very professional and accommodating staff. EVERYONE at the hotel was super friendly and extremely polite, going out of their way to make sure guests needs were met. No hotel is perfect and every hotel can be improved but investing in your staff is what really makes the difference! Thank you Blakes for a superb stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Helia A,

thank you for your review. I am pleased that were were able to exceed your expectations and you loved your stay with us. It was a real pleasure looking after your family.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family to Blakes in the near future.

Director

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed at Blakes for 1 night with my wife for a romantic night away as it was recommended by the Mr and Mrs Smith website (should have paid more attention to Tripadvisor!). I had high hopes and had heard a lot of positive things about it. If like me you expect your boutique hotels to be spotless and luxurious you will be very disappointed . The curtains in our first room (308) were so shredded by the sun that they literally hung in tatters. Out second room (410) was better but still shabby. This is a hotel living on a reputation that is well past it's sell by date. They claim to be one of the top 5 bars in London. It was a Friday night and we were literally the only people there at 11pm.

On the plus side all of the staff were excellent. The food in the restaurant was also very good although you feel that you are sitting in a corridor.

I would never return and could not honestly recommend it to anyone despite a great location.

To the management - you really need to invest in a total refurbishment to make this a great hotel once again. Apologies and a bit of paint won't do it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank iainm638

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and you did not enjoy your stay fully with us at Blakes. I can assure you that we are currently replacing the curtains and our maintenance and housekeeping teams are working hard on improving the rooms you stayed in.

On the other hand, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant and that our staff looked after you well.

Please contact me if you would like to give us another try and I will ensure that everything is in order.

Director

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Blakes and loved the food in the restaurant. Would certainly stay here again.One niggle was that I would love a spotlight in the bathroom to be able to put my face on (!).I stayed in room 208 which was quite weird since you could only get out of the bed one side but it was quiet and restful. I like a hotel where I can smoke in the room as well because London is such a nanny state sometimes and they really have the best deep cleaning so you never feel like you even notice the smell.Wonderful inclusive hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant and overall positive feedback of your stay. I am glad you felt comfortable and could enjoy your stay exactly the way you like. Our excellent team is always delighted to assist you with any request to ensure you are pampered and satisfied with our service.

I have noted your feedback regarding the lighting in the bathroom; our Maintenance team is on the case.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Had few friends coming to London for Fashion Week and we all decided to stay at the Blakes I've being there few times for drinks and dinner but never stayed there and I really liked. Discreet, chic, intimate, superb service and staff in a perfect location with great restaurant so you can't get any better maybe similar but not better!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Morumbi

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review, we are thrilled to hear Blakes exceeded your expectations as well as delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Have you heard about our Taste of Spain evenings held in our restaurant? We would highly recommend you joining! You can enjoy tapas, wine pairing and live Spanish guitarist. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I heard so much about Blakes and decided to stay there on my business trip to London in November 2013. Coming off an 8 hour flight, I was checked into a room at the basement of the 2nd building with room so dingy and dark and at the same time, light bulbs shining straight into my eyes and head. The noise from the neighbour's van which was right next to my window was plain horrid. Did i mention my trip to the 2nd building? it was wet and rainy and had to run in the rain with the staff who assisted with my now wet suitcase. The corridor was not clean and this was further confirmed by a door at the basement - on the way to the room, which was open and revealed a dirty area. The rugs in the room are worn out and quite harsh to the feet. I was so upset and sad. I immediately went to shower and went out to my meeting… oh, shower head was not properly screwed and had the water splashing in different directions leaving me with a wet floor. once done anyway, i headed out to my meeting. I returned late at night and assumed the whole place should be clean by then but believe me, the dirty area was still the same.No turn down service in the rooms so i went back to the same harsh and freezing room which didnt provide any sort of warmth as the windows were not properly sealed. That night i picked up my suitcase and left as i could not bring myself to sleep there. Need i mention i will not be returning to Blakes?

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
10  Thank Bee B

Dear Madam,

We are extremely sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay at Blakes. I only wish that you would have told us that you were not happy immediately so that we could take the appropriate actions straight away. I have read all your comments carefully and can assure you that all maintenance issues have been handed over. We do provide turn down service every evening so we are extremely upset to hear what has happened. I have raised the issues with the Housekeeping team to make sure any of the above does not happen again.

The room that you stayed in is in our Cobblestone Mews house which is a typical 18th century house , we have many guests who requests these rooms - as they are quiet and intimate. However we understand design is very personal and we are sorry to hear that it was not to your liking. Please note, every room is individually designed and we would have been pleased to allocate another room more to your liking. I am sure that there are some rooms which you would fall in love with, we would love for you to give us the chance to change your mind.

If you do change your mind in coming back to Blakes in future, please contact me directly so that I will be able to assist and do my utmost to ensure you are pleased with the hotel.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Booked afternoon tea on a Saturday for two in the Chinese room downstairs. Hearing that the hotel was owned by an interior designer, we were very surprised when we arrived as the furniture was uncomfortable and the lighting very bright, wherever you sat it seemed to be shining straight at you. As for the tea itself, the sandwiches were lovely, however this was the where the positives ended. After the sandwiches we each got two small scones with jam and 'clotted cream' which actually seemed to be canned spray cream, certainly not clotted cream. The last part of the tea was also quite strange, we were given a cake which was advertised as orange but I couldn’t distinguish the taste, rice pudding & a small panna cotta (traditional afternoon tea cakes?)
I get the feeling that this hotel used to be wonderful but now it is resting on its reputation alone, I would not recommend it for afternoon tea, the rooms however look lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine G
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Good Afternoon ,
Thank you for your reveiw and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us back in October. I wished that you had told us sooner and then I could investigate better what went wrong.
Anyway I am glad to tell you that we have upgraded the cakes and currently offer orange, chocolate and a green tea tiramisu which are all baked freshly in house.
The whipped cream ( which was hand whipped has now been replaced with dorset clotted cream).
Blakes has always been dark and mysterious so I am dismayed to read about the lights shining at you. Lights should always be dimmed.
Please do return, please let me know in advance and I will ensure that we win you around.
Best regards,
Julian

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I was expecting more and I was a little bit disappointed. The Directors Double that I reserved was disappointing. It was overrated. The pictures on the web are showing a red glamorous room. The reality is grey, old, under the roof. The bar in the basement, waiting for the room to be ready needs refurbish. The restaurant looks like you are hiding in a Chinese basement in Hong Kong. You can even see a door to some back kitchen or facilities that is permanently open. The neighbourhood is nice, easy access just walking to shops and restaurants. Turn left out of the hotel and then right to Old Brompton Road. Luckily that the personel is nice and professional. Saves the general impression.

Room Tip: Nothing less than a Director’s Double. But be careful to get what you see in the pictures on the net...