“Totally Unique”

Ranked #448 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Barcelona
“Totally Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Blakes is an original boutique hotel located in south Kensington and Chelsea close to shopping streets like Fulham Road and King's Road. Behind its victorian façade you will discover unique interior design with many influences. They have succeed creating a very special atmosphere opposite to minimalism. Common spaces are lovely and richly decorated but rooms are the focus in this hotel. We stayed in a Director's Double which was very romantic with extra comfortable bed, marble bath, B & O media system and ecclectic decoration. We loved the room but feel it could benefit from adding in some modern technology to make it more functional. Service is solid and personal, staff is always friendly and they try hard to accomodate your needs. Blake's restaurant and bar is a great place with a nice atmosphere. Breakfast was delicious. Overall it was a very nice and special stay.

Room Tip: Director's Rooms and Suites are the most romantic and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OutkastBCN
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Outcast,
Thank you for your positive review. The refurbishment has been done very carefully without affecting the character and design of the Hotel.
We will not rest until every single guest leaves delighted!
Looking forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Julian Payne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We went to Blake's to celebrate our engagement. Right at the reception we felt the intimate and romantic atmosphere. When we entered the room we were amazed! Everything was stunning, and nothing like we had ever seen before. They thought of everything down to the smallest detail. The staff were very welcoming and took care of our every request.
I'm positive that the next time I'm in London the Blake's is where I'll stay.
Enjoy :)

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Maayanfe,
Many thanks for the Fantastic review, Wow Perfect, thank you and I am so happy that we exceeded your expectations.
That is Why we are Here!
Congratulations on your engagement and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's many years (10?) since we'd stayed at Blakes, so we approached again with some intrepidation - would it live up to our wonderful memories?? Zak in the reservations team did everything possible to make our booking experience truly easy and personal. He spent time and effort making sure we had the right room for our picky tastes (and to also accommodate our two 6 year old girls), even consulting his housekeeping team on the best set up - he went the extra mile and well beyond :-)
When we arrived (some 2 weeks after the original booking), the rooms and the special touches he had arranged were just as he had promised.
But it's not just Zak who really took care of us - it seems they breed them like that at Blakes! All the staff were friendly, approachable, helpful, efficient, flexible. I'd recommend the food too in its own right - expensive but really enjoyable, a little bit different and good portions.
Would we go back - absolutely, yes please :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maggie,
You are Tops!!! Thank you what a great review,
Zak is a great revenue manager and goes the extra step as we all should!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was compelled to review Blakes only because we have never encountered such a high standard in any hotel before and we have travelled extensively. I was fortunate that a friend recommended Blakes to me as it is located in a wonderful, tranquil area of South Kensington and yet minutes to the Museums, Harrods Knightsbridge, Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.

Assuming you prefer intimate boutique hotels as my wife and I do, Blakes in our opinion is the best overall experience for quality, location, service with value for money. We stayed in the Top Suite 005 which was very private with its own entrance, the suite was very spacious and light with shutters, Italian marble and beveled mirrors. We felt very at home there.

We made our booking in March 2013 with Zak the revenue manager who was exceptionally mannered and accommodating, Angelo was also very helpful at reception and nothing was too much trouble for Julian the General Manager.

We were joined by several friends visiting from Italy for lunch in the Fusion Restaurant downstairs and all six commented how impressed they were with the extremely high standard of food. Several of us had the Scallop and the seared Salmon which were sublime and cooked to perfection, the calamari from the al a carte menu was excellent. The wine menu was impressive, one of the most extensive that I have seen, we opted for the Chardonnay which was a very good choice. The service was impeccable at all times, the restaurant staff really catered for our every whim and a very reasonable 3 course lunch for around £25.

We will definitely stay at Blakes again when we need to stay in Central London, overall we can’t recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Top Suite 005 which was very private with its own gated entrance and front door, ve...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig W
Dear Craig,
Thank you for your glowing review, please come back soon.
I am honoured to have such a great team around me and Zak is an important component of that team,
The lunchtime menu is great value for money and we just need to spread the word!
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon
Best regards,

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Blakes Hotel in the Knightsbridge/Chelsea area has a lot of fun-quirky positives. The location is great to many walking points of interest and the area is full of decent dining possibilities. I can't say enough about the staff-they were all delightful and very interested in helping with making the visit perfect. The restaurant and bar were also friendly and served decent food, although pricey. The decor is fun and at times gorgeous. The room- a "luxury double"(number 304) was very,very small. The queen sized four poster bed literally filled the room, however, there was a desk with drawers at the foot. A friend stayed in room 302 which was slightly larger and may have worked better for 2 people. The linens and towels were delicious. The closet was tiny and for 2 people, it was a challenge. After 4 days of scooting around this bed, it was time to get out. The bathroom-appeared beautiful, but the in- tub shower was a dangerous exercise in sudden scalding and freezing changes in the water temperature. I ended up taking wonderful baths in the big tub. The room was all about lighting,much of which didn't work for viewing,shaving or reading. Also during my 4 day stay, there was someone on the floor whose smoking habits literally filled the floor with cigarette smoke-enough to awaken you at night with its odor. Not sure of hotel policy on smoking in the rooms.
All in all-an interesting little "boutique" hotel, but I am sure a better room situation could be arranged with some knowledge of what there is to offer. The price was a bit high for what I received-in my humble opinion, and clearly some "double" rooms are better than other for housing 2 guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask as to the size of the "luxury double" they are not the same. I notice...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DDM M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and again I am glad to read about our Staff and how they looked after you.
The luxury double rooms are compact and do vary in set up. 304 does have a queen size bed but also has a litle sitting area which some people like.
All the sheets,towels and bathrobes are from Frette and thus very luxerious.
With regards to the shower control, they are complicated, but once mastered it should ensure a steady flow of warm water.
Please contact me directly on your return visit and I will persoally make sure that we allocate you an upgraded room with a fully functional shower.
Many thanks and Best regards

Nettlestead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I work in the travel industry and was totally taken by surprise with this wonderful hotel which I had never heard of previously. The only negative point I can make is that we never stumbled on it earlier....otherwise this would of been our first port of call. The staff are so pleasant and are willing to go the extra mile. Julian the Manager showed us around and we were taken aback with this bohemian deco hotel. All the rooms are individually designed and make you feel so comfortable that you do not want to leave the hotel. Free wifi throughout the hotel and the afternoon tea is superb. A really stylish restaurant which serves the most amazing food. The bar is small in size which is good as it does not over power you. The location is superb also. If you are looking to treat your partner...give this extra ordinary property ago....why not.....the Rolling Stones did!

Room Tip: Go for the Directors Double
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LesE455
We do try and I am looking forward to the Rolling Stones returning soon.
We have live Music in the restaurant every tuesday which creates a nice buzz.
We are discreet and that is why certain artists enjoy staying with us, never a dull moment

Canary Wharf, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

To be clear, I am reviewing this hotel in the category of 'boutique' which is how it describes itself. I have stayed in 11 or 12 Mr and Mrs Smith hotels and this was the one was unfortunately a significant disappointment in it's class

The good: Staff were pleasant although by no means anything above averagely good at their jobs We loved the decor of the place even with a little intentional shabbiness. The lovebirds at reception were a nice touch.

The bad: Notwithstanding that the building is old, the plumbing is substandard. I do not want to hear my neighbours shower, I do expect to be able to get cold drinking water out of the taps and I would prefer my own shower not to fluctuate between scalding and freezing. Double glazing would also be a bonus!

The ugly: breakfast was awful both days. We ordered 2 x eggs benedict on the first morning, the bread was cheap, pre sliced, supermarket standard, the ham was processed and unpleasant, each of us had one soft poached egg and one uncooked poached egg. Service was very slow. As we were in a hurry on the 2nd day we ordered continental breakfast. In a room of less than 10 diners we waited 12 minutes for coffee, a further 7 for milk and 45 minutes for croissants and warm bread. I sent the bread back and toast appeared very shortly afterwards with no acknowledgment that it had not been correct in the first place. We were not tempted to try their evening meals as a result of this.

I have to be honest, all of the low standard areas would have been much less memorable if the staff had reacted with personality, charm and humour instead of a very bland politeness. The hotel has potential but I am unlikely to recommend or revisit it under it's current management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charl0tte81
Dear Charlotte,
Firstly please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.

What a disappointment, please contact me directly on julian@blakeshotels.com and hopefully we can try again!
We are certainly not resting on our laurels, the recent refurbishment happened in order to bring Blakes back to where it was when it first opened in 1978.
We are all 100% committeed to make it happen and I will not sleep until all my guests leave delighted and return.
Your comments have been taken on board, we did recently change our breakfast menu to improve the dishes, why dont you come and try with my compliments.
I am sorry and hope to hear from you soon.
Best regards,