“peeeeeeerfect”
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #392 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a find. I stayed at the Blakes Hotel mid Feb and although it was a business trip on this occassion I can't wait to go back with my husband. It is such a romantic hotel. It's a fab location and the staff are so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Wow Jules! You are too kind, We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thank you very much and please spread the word!

There are newer reviews for Blakes Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just back from a wonderful two night stay at this amazing property. The whole experience was superb. Helpful staff,luxurious accommodation and fantastic food made a truely memorable experirence. I have stayed in many London hotels but would highly recommend Blakes if you are on businss and want to escape from the busy City or if you are looking for the perfect romantic hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sandra c

Sandra,
You are too kind, we are small team and are dedicated to look after our guests and ensure that we are their London Home. Which is of course what Hotelkeeping should be about!

We look forward to welcoming you back. I am gald that you enjoyed the food. Our kitchen refurbishment is complete, the menus are changed seasonaly now, blending the old classics with the new.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon, thank you

Reviewed February 5, 2013

It was my husband's first trip across the pond from the US last October 2012, and only the second time he left the country. As a result, choosing a hotel was important. We had to make sure it would be suit his preferences: in a residential location, away from the tourist traps, cosy, and luxurious. Blakes was a winner.

We arrived, jet-lagged and a bit tired from walking from the tube station (a quick walk). When we checked in, I breathed a sigh of relief because it was already so inviting. There were fresh oranges in the lobby and little birds chirping in a gilded cage. Everyone was quite professional and efficient. We arrived earlier than check-in time, and were taken to our room very quickly. The room was very stylish--dark sisal floor coverings, a comfortable bed, and state-of-the-art television. I did not even know how to turn it off and had to call the front desk to ask. They were very nice about it. The only negative was that this particular room was sort of a dead zone for the wifi network, so we weren't able to skype with our daughter back home. No matter, we were able to phone her.

Our package (through Luxurylink.com) included English Breakfast, daily. The food was fine, but the service was inconsistent. One day, the server was quite attentive and quick--it took about 30 minutes from start-to-finish, which was perfect for us, the excited tourists. The next day, her replacement was rarely available for much of anything. We stood around for more than 10 minutes before even being seated. We had to ask for everything-- a menu, to place our order, pastries, etc. Service that day lasted more than 90 minutes. We never returned.

The bar service, however was fantastic. I met a good friend for drinks one evening and she brought her small dog with her. The staff was very accomodating. In fact, there was another little dog there as well. Her strict diet forced my friend to order off the menu--again, the bar was quite lovely about it. Since she lives in the neighborhood, but never stayed at Blakes, she was impressed and mentioned her plans to return in the future.

Overall, we enjoyed staying at the Blakes. My husband had such a great visit, he is already planning to come again. This time, with our daughter. Depending on her stamina (she's not yet six years old), we hope to stay at Blakes again, but may have to choose a property closer to a tube stop, because of her little feet.

Room Tip: Our room was a bit of a "dead zone" for the wifi network. I do not recall the actual name...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing Blakes and of course I am delighted that you enjoyed your hotel. I am glad to report that since your stay we have invested in a brand new Wifi system and had everyone is happy. With regards to breakfast service I am sorry for the delay which is of course unacceptable and will be dealt with.

We hope that you will return soon with your daughter, please contact me directly and I will be more than happy to make your booking directly.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

What a lovely place in the middle of Kensington. You very much feel like being at home.
It is not only the cosy decoration, it is the very personal "taking care for you".

Everybody in the hotel is focused on letting you feel good. The prices are quite reasonable and the service is great. We enjoyed an early dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and besides a very friendly and caring service the food was absolutely delicious. In every detail you realize that somebody had thought in advance about how you would feel best.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank ThinkPink611
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Vielen Dank for your great review, thank you for spreading the word!

We have lots to improve on and will not Give Up until the work is done.
Never a dull day at Blakes!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I love London, but what I love most about London is BLAKES Hotel in Roland Gardens.
When I need an escape that invigorates to the senses in an urban setting that is also civilized, I sneak off to BLAKES to get my fix. The staff is super friendly and professional. They really go out of their way to get you what you need and want as quickly and efficiently as possible. The concierge suggestions are FANTASTIC and always just right. The atmosphere is sublime, designed to the hilt and very very heady-- like a giant bottle of OPIUM perfume! The whole experience of a stay there feels like a visit to Jeanie's (as in Barbara Eden's Jeanie) bottle.... I've stayed there at least a dozen times and each time I've been lucky enough to stay in a different room -- each time I declare that this room is my favorite, only to declare the same about the next visit's room! The menu and the food are both wonderful and superb, whether it's downstairs in the subterranean restaurant, or you choose the in room dining, it's always a first rate dining experience.
I have never been there with my family, but I can only imagine how the staff would cater to each child's every whim, as they, in turn would drift off into imaginary adventures inspired by Blakes exotic atmosphere!

Room Tip: regardless of what room you get, your senses will be tickled by the little details in the design.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank NYYerevan

Wow, we are not worthy, Fantastic review and am so glad that we are able to look after you so well.
Looking forward to welcoming you back Home!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

What a decadent, relaxing and buzzing hotel...all at once! great staff and service, delicious breakfast and great evening drinks in the bar. Highly recommend Blakes for a central London stay, close to the important shops and restaurants and a haven of luxury.

Room Tip: Ask hotel for guidance as each room very different
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Charlotte C

Thank you for your great review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. As you say each room is different and tells a different story, all based on Anoushka Hempel's travels around the globe.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed January 19, 2013

It pains me to write this as Blakes has been on my wish list for some while now and no one was more excited than me, to finally be staying there.

The hotel is decadently opulent, dark and sultry. There is a sense of stepping back in time which is q seductive. We stayed mid week and were informed the hotel was at about 80% occupancy. When we arrived there was no sign of a porter. We had agreed to leave our car at the hotel and so my husband left me with the car whilst he went in to check in with the receptionist. I remained outside in the freezing cold for a good 5-10 minutes before decoding to see what was taking my husband so long. The receptionist was on the phone, she hadn't yet greeted my husband at any stage and the call seemed to be either personal or to a supplier.

When the all ended we were then promptly checked in and a friendly porter assisted me with my car and luggage. however we were given no information about the hotels facilities, what time breakfast is served to or where the restaurant/bar could be found.

We arrived at our room, the Emperor Bed room, and first impressions were wow. This is what we came for. My husband had pre-arranged champagne and truffles upon arrival but neither were present in our room. 20 minutes later my husband rang down to enquire and they then delivered to our room.

We arrived at lunchtime so decided to venture down to reception and enquire about dining options. I presented my Exclusive Hotels - Design Resturants membership card (of which Blakes participates, according to the Scheme). The receptionist was none the wiser. I was then asked to show the restaurant mgr who was also clueless. By now we were beginning to feel a little embarrassed rather than members of an exclusive hotel scheme. The restaurant mgr was polite at all times and upon displaying Blakes membership on the web promptly assisted us. However, staff should be aware of these things. It was mentioned that there had been a change in marketing mgr recently.

At both lunch and breakfast times we had to wait for a member of staff to greet us. On both occasions we entered an empty restaurant.

Upon closer examination our room was looking a little tired. Electrical cabling and plug sockets were pulled from the wall exposing wires and dust. The cables bound together with black tape and rather precariously balanced on a bedside table. Not exactly in keeping with the boutique look. The upholstery on both the sofa and several curtains were torn,quite badly, in a number of places. Paintwork is peeling and flaking on bathroom ceiling.

In an attempt to dry my hair with a hair dryer, no socket could be found within reach of a mirror. So I called down and they kindly offered either a mirror or an extension socket. An extension socket was delivered to our room but was filthy.

Upon returning to the hotel at night we visited the bar. No issues here - a peasant subterranean atmosphere beneath ground level.

On a positive note the bed was by far the most comfortable I think I have ever slept in. There was little noise either from within the hotel or outside, which is q uncommon for London. The hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area and stands q proud on the corner of Roland Gardens.

Sadly, upon leaving the hotel we were met with more inefficiencies. At breakfast, we were brought toast and warm pastries. However, no butter. The only member of staff disappeared for a further 5 minutes before reappearing briefly where we had to request it. By this time the toast was cold. My husband had booked a b&b rate and enquired with waiting staff what on the menu was covered. The member of staff did not know and had to ask someone else who came over to explain. We were the only people dining at this time. However the breakfast was very nice.

Checking out, for us, was the biggest fail. First my husband was presented with someone else's room bill - of two nights stay, not one. It took my husband to point this out before an apology was received and another bill produced. This time the bill contained a number of anomalies. Again my husband pointed this out and the staff member seemed to know and promptly removed it. There was also some issue over double charging of parking. Again when challenged, the receptionist accepted that this should not have been present.

So all in all a pleasant enough stay with pleasant enough staff but this hotel needs to pay more attention to detail around its customer service.

Sorry Blakes - I wish I could have left a more positive review.

Room Tip: The Emperor Room 208 - amazingly comfortable bed. Goose down duvet and pillows.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mewithac

I am so sorry that the dominoes started falling in the wrong direction from the moment of your arrival.
I have taken all your points on board and will ensure that they are dealt with immediately.
I have tried to contact you directly to follow up and to prove to you that we can do better.
I look forward to hearing from you