“Dark but charming”

Ranked #424 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Dark but charming”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

the hotel has a very strong design aesthetic. My room was small and dark but cosy and comfortable. The shower curtain is a bit of challenge. But the reason for writing a review is the staff. They are professional and charming. I was extremely surprised to be so impressed by the hotel staff in London. Over the years I have become used to staff who are not interested in their roles or are too important to help guests. Blakes is totally different. Staff are personable and helpful. It made for a lovely experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank HK_Sala
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
For a Hotel to function you have the Hardware and The Software!
The Software are the staff who work here and I am ecastic that we were able to look after you so well.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future
Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

With astonishing attention to detail this South Kensington boutique haven is a sultry and opulent 47 room residence, housing a dimly lit Modern European restaurant with Eastern influences. You can also order from the room-service menu and eat in the Chinese Room (a.k.a. the Opium Den) 24 hours a day. The hotel also offers a massage/ therapy room and gym. Blakes for me is not only a unique and bijou warren of sweet smelling beauty. It is now one of my favourite hotels to date and I very much look forward to visiting again. From the intricate character of each individual room, to the discreet yet attentive and charming staff ethos, this hotel is a gem and seductiveness personified.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank aysha m
Thank you for your very complimentary review. I am over the moon that you thouraghly enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Best regards
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Quite simply a magical stay in The Corfu Suite on our wedding night. Despite it being winter the summery white room was extremely warm and inviting (underfloor heating a bonus!) The most comfortable bed, a vast bath in a well appointed bathroom, Bose television and audio systems and a handful of interesting books left for our perusal. Service is exceptional and food equally fine either as room service or in the restaurant.

This hotel is not traditional in the sense of some of the London greats (Savoy / Claridges) but is truly unique and wonderfully different to others. Stay here to get away from the hustle and bustle of the West End yet be within striking distance of Knightsbridge and the Kings Road.

Highly recommended. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment for the most comfortable and luxurious hotel stay in London.

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank OPCH
Many Congratulations on your wedding and we look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary, if not beforehand!
I am delighted that you enjoyed The Corfu Suite, we are certainly more bohemian than the Savoy Hotel and we work very hard to be as charming as possible.
Norton Sub Hamdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I travel to London every week on business and always choose to stay in Boutique hotels over faceless 5* chains. As this trip was pleasure not business I wanted to tick 'Blake's' off as it has been on my 'to do' list for years. I have to say it exceeded my exacting expectations. Firstly I called the GM, Julian Payne, who not only took my call but as a first time guest handled the booking personally. Upon arrival we discovered Julian authorized a complimentry upgrade to a fabulous suite. Things that resonated with me? When I said that we were up on a flying visit for one night only to celebrate a friends birthday, I asked what time the bar was open until - The answer was; "For you Sir, as a resident we will keep it open 24 hours. Also, as you have a great suite to entertain in pehaps you might like to carry on the paty there". Exemplary service, I only wish we spend more time in the Hotel iself. The suite was beautifully decorated and I love the fact that every room has an individual theme - The oversized freestanding solid marble bath was fabulous. Location for those of you that don't know London is wonderful as walking distance from Harrods and Kings Road/Fulham Road. I can see why the A List choose to stay at Blakes every time they are in London as the height of discretion and all the quotes of "Sexiest Hotel" are true. Best place for an illicet encounter. One word to sum it up.....Fuxury!

Room Tip: No such thing as a bad room - Just individual preference - Library Suite or 007 Suite for Rocknroll...
7 Thank Grant P
Thank you for your great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed Blakes for the first time and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
103, the Prague Suite boasts a sumptous solid marble bath and is to die for!
Rhodes, Greece
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is simply unique and luxuriously comfortable!
The staff is very kind and attentive to customer's needs. I had the pleasure of staying in one of their best suites, and everything was splendid. The restaurant too had a very pleasant atmosphere, and the food was excellent, top quality modern fusion cuisine.

I have no complaints to make....This reflects the staff's attention to every detail! Even Blakes' unique soap is incredible!

If you have the chance, I suggest to try their English Breakfast: the bacon was... paradise!

Reading my review back again, it sounds unreal. But, believe me, try it yourself and you'll see this is all true...!

6 Thank moony333
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I am Speechless, thank you very much and I am delighted that we got it right and you enjoyed your stay!
With every room being different it is imperative that we get it right and we all enjoy in that challenge.
Please do let me know when you are returning, the champagne will on me!
Happy New Year!
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at Blakes and the experience was so exceptional that we felt the need to share it. The entire hotel and its staff takes their cue from the leadership of its General Manager, Julian Payne. He is the perfect combination of class and comfort with a sense of humor included. There is no detail too small for their attention. The service of the entire staff was impeccable; the food was delicious; and their advice of what to do; where to go and when to do it was always right on. They handled all of our reservations and arrangements (even those that needed to be done after we checked out) with a smile and total aplomb. We had complete confidence in their advice and execution. The location is wonderful and the rooms and suites were superb. You can not and will not go wrong with this hotel and their staff...London is a great city; Blakes makes it even better!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank thunderroadman
Wow, what great feedback, thank you. I am only as good as my Team and am very fortunate to be surrounded by such nice, honest people. We are not perfect, are a litle bohemian, have lots to improve on but will get there in the not too distant future.

Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back very very soon.
Best regards
Connecticut
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The common rooms were chic and the breakfast plentiful and varied. The residential location in South Kensington was peaceful, and it was also convenient to the tube on the Piccadilly Line. It was very clean and the staff helpful. However, I did not think our room was very comfortable and it was not well-laid out. There were no drawers at all and it was not well-lit.

4 Thank liseuc
Thank you for your review and overall positive review, if you could please contact me directly to tell me which room you were in so that I can try to install some drawers as well as reviewing the comfortability, my email is julian@blakeshotels.com.
Many thanks indeed and wishing you a very Happy New Year.