“Not At All What I Expected”
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #389 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is in a great location a 5 minute walk from South Kensington station. We were greeted by a friendly doorman and a helpful receptionist. We were then taken to our room, a 'luxury double'. I suppose the fact that the double bed was shoehorned into the tiny room meant it did qualify as a double, having to squeeze around the bed to gain access to it certainly didn't display any qualities of what I would call luxury!
Apart from the minuscule dimensions of the room- the surfaces were dusty, the electrics were shocking (pun intended) turning off the lights also turned off the TV?!

Restaurant:
We thought we would try the restaurant for breakfast, mistake!
1. The service was terrible; we had to ask for coffee and for fruit juice, all these should have been included in the £22 price for an English breakfast.

2. £22 gets you 1 sausage, 3 little mushrooms, 1 slice of bread, a tomato, an egg and some beans- very very expensive!! Save your money and buy a far superior breakfast at any of the cafes in the area for half the price and twice the service.

I was quite excited about staying at this hotel after looking at the web site, I left feeling incredibly disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank James H
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Again I am sorry for the stain on the duvet and I have shared your review as with all reviews with all the staff to ensure that it does not happen again.
It looked like a tea stain and you are correct that the duvets are sandwiched between two sheets in order to give a crisper look on the bed.

Blakes is completing a 2 1/2 year restoration which has included instillation of air conditioning, new bathrooms, new wiring, new televisions, new mattresses, etc. The next phase is to replace all the tired fabrics in the building which is happening.
Bohemian is a good word which describes us and I will not rest until levels are improved in the hotel.

I am sorry and do hope that you will return, please contact me directly and we will roll out the red carpet for you I promise!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had wanted to try out Blakes for a while and found what seemed an excellent deal for a Sunday night stay. The cost included an early check in/ late check out, an upgrade if available, two glasses of champagne and breakfast.

I emailed to ask for more details about the early check in. Their reply was prompt which was great but we were told that it was unlikely because they were fully booked on the saturday night before our stay. Although they would store our luggage. This was fine with us. We arrived at 11am and dropped off our over night bag. We were told that usual check in time is after 2pm and that they would call us if a room became available before that time. We had planned to spend the day shopping and having lunch so it wasn't a problem for us.

One of the plus points of this hotel for us was the staff. Especially the door man on duty. Very friendly and helpful. We did not particularly like the interior decoration and general ambience. The public spaces are very dark and the lift very small. My husband joked that perhaps they keep it dark to cut down on the costs of cleaning which seemed a fitting comment in light of a later discovery in our room.

We did not especially like our room, again very dark and small. I don't think we were given an upgrade. The member of staff who showed us to the room did not refer to it and we forgot to ask. However, I did like the bathroom. It had a great free standing bath tub.

We got back to hotel quite late after spending our day shopping to freshen up quickly and then head out for dinner. We didn't spend an awful lot of time in the room and then returned pretty late after a good number of drinks with dinner so didn't inspect things too much. We were shocked in the morning to find stains on the quilt. We only found these because the quilt didn't seem to be in a cover. It seemed just to have a sheet covering it which had obviously moved in the night to real the quilt. Generally everything seemed a bit faded and slightly worn. We debated whether to mention the stained quilt on check out but in the end decided not to. Our stay was already coming to end when we discovered it.

The breakfast was good but service slightly slow. Check out fast but they did put the cost of the two glasses of champagne on the bill which were taken off quickly when we queried it.

The stain on the bedding did spoilt the stay here and how we felt about it overall. I would not return. I do wish we had said something on check out now so that the management can deal with house keeping issues better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AngeS

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
Each room is different and I am sorry that you were not happy in the room allocated to you. We always try to please and will always try to show you another room if not comfortable.
Please email me at julian@blakeshotels.com and I will check your invoice to see if it was correct. Our English breakfast priced at £22.50 includes Tea/Coffee, freshly squeezed juices, pastries, toast and a cooked breakfast and also be able to check the room
I am sorry we are here to please and I am angry that we did not deliver. I hope to be able to welcome you back and win you over.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at Blake's and had an absolutely fabulous time. We booked the Library Suite, and it was just as we hoped it would be and more. The decor is very elaborate and romantic - black silk covered walls, massive drapery lined 4 poster and beautiful antiques. Old books lined the walls in a small sitting area at the entrance and the whole look gives you the feeling of sleeping in a cozy English library. Perfection. The bath and the room itself is spacious, clean and quiet. Actually, the entire hotel is absolutely beautiful. Our friends traveling with us loved their room and stay at the hotel as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Drinks in the bar and dinner in the hotel's restaurant was also top notch. Thanks to Blakes for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank jkwd71
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I am so delighted you were able to experience the beautiful library suite! It is one of our signiture suites and one of the most beautiful! I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff at Blakes and we very mcuh look forward to welcoming you back. Please get in touch on julian@blakeshotels.com for any future enquiries and I will happily handle the arrangements.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

A very nice alternative to classic london luxury hotels . Its design , intimacy , value for money and service make it for me one of the best options for a luxury romantic , discrete stay in London . Location is central in a luxury area but yet in a quiet corner avoiding any traffic noise . The restaurant is exellent , affordable , and very well suited for romantic meals . Even in full capacity the hotel doesnt look crowded and service is very fast . The rooms design and colors mix is very original creating a very romantic atmosphere .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R B

What a fantastic review! Our location is perfect, central but away from all the hustle and bustle! Please get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com for any future requests and I would be happy to help. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Alarm bells rang when I had the confirmation call. I asked how the early check in/late check out worked (for an additional fee of course, which i'd paid). The response, 'you turn up and if there is a room ready, we will let you check in', which sounded like every hotel I have ever stayed at, but with a surcharge. The late check out worked on request, the morning of checkout - you had to suggest a time and they would agree to it or not.... we managed a 1pm checkout, rather than 12 noon. Obviously the free upgrade 'if available' never materialised (though they were not fully booked) nor did the champagne promised in the 'deal', until we cancelled it (as we needed to go out, before it ever arrived) and ordered it again on our return. In essence, where I expected to be wow'ed by a small boutique experience, Blakes attempted to avoid even the basics, unless you asked, of course....orange juice with breakfast or the pastries that 'are just coming', but only as we were asking. They attempted to double charge for breakfast and I couldn't be bothered to argue the 'service charge' for going to the bar myself and buying 2 drinks. Every little margin seemed squeezed. I can't say individuals offered poor service, though it was not top tier in either the bar or the restaurant - it just wasnt good and it appeared a little thin on the ground.
Decor - is tired, If you decide to paint your walls in darker colours, best you touch them up regularly - white spots with missing paint, only look good in Shoreditch, not South Ken. Finally, I have a picture taken behind a chair in the restaurant (dear hotel, its the chair that sits with its back to your till/service area) that is pretty disgusting.....and the floors weren't exactly clean either. Keep those lights turned down all you want, but this place is jaded at best.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fotherini
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Ouch, this review really hurts and I am sorry that you left disappointed. We are certainly not about squeezing every last penny out of our guests, I have one aim and that is to exceed your expectations. I could go through all your items individually but I would need a page to reply on.
I will be in contact with you directly and prove to you that we can do better.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

stayed there based on a friend's recommendation, everything was perfect... had a room with a lovely south-facing balcony...

had also dinner in the restaurant, with - again - friendly staff, very nice food (I recommend the lamb) and solid wine list.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank christophe b

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much. I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to the team. Please get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com for any further requests and I would be delighted to handle them myself.
Very best,

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Blakes is a very trendy boutique hotel in a great location in stylish South Kensington.
The meals we had were very nice and " high tea" in the courtyard was a treat.
I did find the hotel, dark and the room was definitely not spacious but perhaps the more expensive suites would be more comfortable. My room was at the front of the building and was noisy.
The staff were friendly and professional although I did find the front counter service slow .
If " cool" and a good location is what you are looking for Blakes is for you. Spacious, light and quiet ,it is not!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank petalee
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

I cannot thank you enough for this review. I am so pleased you were able to have our famous afternoon tea in the courtyard and I will pass on your compliments to the team. Please do contact me directly on julian@blakeshotels.com on your next visit, and I will see to it that you are allocated one of our bright and spacious rooms!