“An intimate oasis in Central London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #440 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Ealing, England, United Kingdom
“An intimate oasis in Central London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Myself and two friends had lunch at this stunning hotel. I would describe the food as unique and tasty. The staff genuinely warm and professional. The ambience relaxing and intimate. The small but perfectly formed courtyard was a delight with beautiful box hedging and discreet seating. I was shown some of the opulent incredible rooms. Really out of this world. Refreshingly different for lunch, afternoon tea or of course to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan G
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
What a fantastic review. I cannot thank you enough for your comments and I will be sure to pass on your words to the team. Our courtyard is a fantastic asset to Blakes and I am delighted you were able to experience it. Please get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com for any future requests.
Julian Payne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Riga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed in Blakes Hotel accidentally (price was very, very attractive :) - in reality it was a pricing error on booking website but the hotel honoured my booking). Interior everywhere is luxurious and make you feel like you've entered another world, sleeping in antique design bed is comfortable. The Hotel can be recommended to everyone who wants to feel like in Victorian era London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The unique and beautiful interior of Blakes makes us the go-to location for opulence and style! Thank you so much for this great review and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon. Please get in touch on julian@blakeshotels.com for any further requests and I would be happy to help.
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I prefer small boutique hotels to large ones and in London in particular they seem to be charming and fun to be in like, for example, The Blakes. It is very centrally located near the Gloucester Rd. tube station in South Kensington, very close to the Victoria and Albert Museum for example but great walking distance from all the shopping you might possibly want to do in London. Quiet and easily recognizable with its townhouses painted black The Blakes is a combination of the exotic taste of Anouska Hempel, its designer, and English style. All the rooms are different with eclectic furniture designs, the restaurant is very good and the staff super helpful.
Definitely a good choice for me and I am looking forward to go back.

Room Tip: I had a mini-suite so my space was very adequate, I suspect that regular rooms might be a bit on the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Manuela G
Wow! Thank you for this great review. Our location is fantastic, central but tucked away from all the hustle and bustle! I will be passing on your kind comments to the team at Blakes, and very much look forward to welcoming you back. Please get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com for any future reservations and I would be happy to help.
Hillsborough, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at Blake's over the August Bank holiday weekend and found it to be a charming, unique hotel. The decor is where the unique factor comes in. Various styles are in evidence throughout the hotel and the website shows how individual each room is. The foyer was oriental with lots of bamboo and a cage with 2 beautiful lovebirds who chirped away and added their own charm to the place. We had booked a package with an automatic upgrade to the next class of room (if available) but there was a mixup in the dates on the record and we arrived to find no room in our name for the weekend. This was swiftly dealt with and as the next class of room was unavailable we were further upgraded to a suite! It was stunning looking and very opulent. As it turns out the suite (number 9) was very quiet despite being at street level and had no other guests in the immediate area. The bedroom was very dark and had a lot of lamps but there was no combined switch to turn them all off at night and some of them were quite awkward to switch off due to being high up or having the plug behind furniture. This did not bother us but could have been a problem for others. The suite had not yet been refurbished like the others and could do with a few minor repairs but it was still lovely. The restaurant was very good with lots of choice and the breakfast featured some very unusual egg options! The staff we met were all charming, helpful and friendly We were really pleased with our choice of Blake's and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JimandColette
Thank you so much! What a great review. I am so delighted you were able to experience our library suite. It is one of our signature suites and gets booked very far in advance! I am so pleased you liked the broad choice in the restaurant, please do get in touch directly upon your next visit and I would be delighted to meet you in person. julian@blakeshotels.com
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

A few of my London friends have always insisted I must have a stay at Blakes... Upon booking I was interested in a luxury double and was given a luxury suite upgrade by the hotel staff for not much more as I was staying over 3 nights....
Arriving at the hotel all the taxi drivers know Blakes and said it is infamous... No matter how or where you arrive in London everyone knows the hotel and that is a bonus when you have been travelling all day...
The hotel itself is an end property it has a very dark exterior it is not what you would expect but it is very unassuming... You are met by the conceirge and hotel reception staff within the main reception area can not do enough for you... Reception slightly dark lit with mood lighting seems to work well...
I was allocated the Venetian which is room 004 and to the right of the main reception desk... Hmm wasn't impressed at first as a room so close to reception, all the people traffic and the floors are wooden throughout....
Once inside the room I was very surprised it was like Alice in wonderland... Upon opening the door it was so big inside and put a big smile on my face...
Lovely size lounge with sumptous fabrics and tasteful furniture... The bathroom a deep set bath... The finale the bedroom the bed was a glass four poster and I'm only 4ft 11 I had to get my fella to place me on the bed... It is every girls dream bed a princess and pea type one ha ha...
French doors lead from the bedroom to the courtyard and it is very safe to leave doors open on an evening...
I did dine in the restaurant downstairs and it was a very quiet affair not much of an atmosphere breakfast was so slow as I was dining alone on day one I found the restaurant manager had the couples, families served first before little old me.. To me ordering tea and waiting over ten minutes is very slow and breakfast took nearly twenty five minutes by then I lost my appetite I decided after day one to order room service... The restaurant you must dine there as the decor is fab and keeps you interested while waiting ha ha...
Had a few tipples in the bar and the bar staff do throw themselves into their cocktail making and are quite chatty and friendly..
One of the night porters I will say he was outstanding and couldn't do enough to help you.. I just wish all the staff took a leaf out of his book...
Lastly the cleaners I know in every hotel I have stayed at I grade the hotel in cleanliness as that is so important for me.. I will say these duo teams are like wonder women they are so helpful and as I was working in my suite on one of the days they work around you and you don't realise they are there...
Overall.. Fab hotel, fantastic surroundings, food presented as you would expect, concierge, cleaners can not fault them people... Front of house staff need to smile a little more, be quicker off the mark and if this happens then you have it right...
Since staying in that room I have stayed 5 times more in room 004 and me and my fella decided to try out room 007 that is a must.. Enormous suite with bedrooms, lounge area with the lemsip type sofas, bathroom and courtyard to rear... Was ideal for when my friends visited and dined with us in the hotel if you prefer that quiet evening in....
I would recommend Blakes....

Room Tip: Try room 004 and room 007 you will be very surprised......
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
What a fantastic review. I cannot thank you enough for your detailed comments. I am so delighted you have been to stay again and again and it would be fantastic to meet you in person. Please get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com and there will be a glass of champagne waiting for you upon your next visit! I will be sure to pass on your comment to the team and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Canggu, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

There's nothing like Blakes' lavish, highly theatrical interiors. For me it is a destination as much as a hotel. All rooms are different, each individually styled down to the soap dish with a character that is totally its own (though my all-time favorite is the White Suite). Tasty afternoon delights options from the freshly baked scones and champagne. If you want romance, adventure and quirky charm by the barrel, you just found it in Blakes!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Hellen S
Designed by Anouska Hempel, Blakes prides itself of the lavish and opulent interiors that you describe. I am delighted to hear you liked the small touches that make all the difference. Please get in touch on julian@blakeshotels.com for any further reservations, and there will be a glass of champagne waiting!
kansas city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We just spent 3 nights at Blakes and it was wonderful. The room was luxurious in every way - from the extensive decor to the heated bathroom marble floor! We were in London for the start of a European vacation to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We were greeted with chilled champagne in our room. Service was proper and exquisite from breakfast to emails from Jesus to make sure our stay was going properly. I would recommend this hotel very highly!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crevare
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for this fantastic review! I am so pleased you were able to experience one of our signature suites and congratulations on your anniversary! I will make sure your kind comments are passed on the team, and do get in touch directly on julian@blakeshotels.com for any further bookings.