“Excellent boutique hotel”
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #400 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 22, 2011

One of the most elegant, comfortable and high at his standards boutique hotels I had a pleasure to be a guest in. From the moment of arrival each and everyone of it's employees went above and beyond to deliver excellent service and make sure You feel comfortable and satisfied. With it's striking design, modern touch and convenient location in central London area makes it a perfect place to stay as well on a business as holiday trip. A unique atmosphere of each room is designed with a special care for the smallest details and if You belong to those who like to enjoy some superb and quiet evenings theres a restaurant that offers it all. Thank You!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kasiaschwan
BlakesHotel, Front Office Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2014

Dear Kasisaschwan,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review. It is great to see that all our efforts in making every guest’s experience special are appreciated by our guests. We feel truly delighted you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Having not been to blakes over 10 years and reading that it has just come out of a refurbishment programme , we were keen to check out the new rooms and wow i was pleasently surprised and it seems blakes is going towards its crown as it used be as one of the best hotels in london, the room wallpaper seemed like a romanic book and my wife was more than pleased with the romantic ambience of the room, and being a gym fanatic i was happy with their compact but useful gym.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2015

Dear David1357,

Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us at Blakes. I am very pleased we are able to exceed your expectations again and you loved what we achieved after refurbishing some of our rooms. It was a pleasure reading your kind comments.

I hope you will return to Blakes again, we would be delighted to welcome you back!

Reviewed May 15, 2011

I have just had afternoon tea with my friends, cousins and mother. The tea was lovely and, at £19 plus service, very good value (we had tea, sandwiches, scones with cream, jam and strawberries). No problems providing glasses of water, topping up our tea pots with hot water or providing vegetarian sandwiches. They also provided a wheat free tea for a member of our party with an intolerance and did so with no fuss (I did give them notice about this). The service was efficient and helpful, the food was very nice and beautifully presented in their 'Chinese room'. It was a lovely occasion and I would recomend Blake's afternoon tea (now when can I go back?).

The only down side was that they lost my original phone booking so make sure you get confirmation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2014

Dear JuJoLondon,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with the rest of the world. I am pleased you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea with your party. I am glad we were able to fulfill your requirements and everything was provided as ordered, including vegetarian and wheat free options.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in Blakes, I hope you return again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2011

Blakes is a wonderful hotel in a great situation but it is incredibly expensive for what it is but if you've got the money and don't mind paying for expensive places like this then you'll love it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sarahnLondon

Dear SarahnLondon,

Thank you for sharing your review with us, I am pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us.

We always try to remain competitive with other boutique hotels and constantly update our website with new offers and packages. Please feel free to browse them, I believe we offer something special for everyone.

I hope to welcome you back to Blakes again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2011

I must say, this is my first review on t.a. I always thought that people only wrote reviews for stays at different ends of the satisfaction spectrum (either amazing or nightmarish), and therefore, I never really gave the site much credence; however, after not even one night at the Blakes, I thought it my duty as a responsible traveler to write.
First off, the positives: amazing interior design, fantastic location, friendly staff, lovely garden and beautiful restaurant/bar (some of the most brilliant table tops/decor I've encountered).
The negatives: perhaps best recounted chronologically and anecdotally. My boyfriend and I booked the room 2.5 months prior based on a rave review from my brother, a man of discerning taste and a lot of travel miles logged. We arrived at the Blakes to see three huge dumpsters and three stories of scaffolding in front of the hotel. Once inside, I couldn't even hear the receptionist over the whir and whine of drills and smack and thump of hammers. I had never received a call or email giving a warning that half of the hotel would be a construction site. I mentioned this to the manager who told me that "they had tried to contact guests in case of asthma or allergies, but you must have 'slipped through the cracks.'" He was very pleasant as he offered to show us the room (a nice size and very interestingly designed but with a full bed for two adults, one 6'1, for GBP265 excl. Vat) while he shopped around for other accommodations for us to no avail. After wasting half of our first day in London, we opted to stay one night in the Blakes at a slightly reduced rate with the promise that the scaffolding would be down by 530, and that furniture moving would be the only work being done the next day starting at 830am.
Not only is the scaffolding two stories high at the end of the day, but also, we can hear drills and falling plaster through the wall of our room. Disappointing all around. I feel as if they started warning guests of the construction and received cancellations, which is why we were not notified. A bit hoodwinked if you will.
Now for the room: one can tell that Blakes was really beautiful about 4 years ago, but needs a facelift. Carpet is threadbare; paint is peeling on many surfaces, and the windows do nothing to keep out the roar of jets flying directly overhead or the birds who start their chorus at 430am; the bathtub was less than sano with rust chipping off the drain, etc. Also, the fresh towels were all damp on the rack. As for service, I loved the lit scented candle with our turn down service, but the sheets felt like the hospital or dorm variety, the blankets were pilling, and the pillows were filled with something or in a way that made them hard as rocks. I mustered 3 hours sleep which essentially ruined my second day of vacation.
After my rant, I would say that the Blakes will be gorgeous after the construction is over. Clearly they have an eye for design, beautiful bar and restaurant with a chic aesthetic and beautiful clientele. Michael at the desk could not have been nicer, but the situation was still unfortunate.

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Scootsinboots

Dear Scootsinboots,

Thank you for sharing your review with us following your stay. I am very sorry to hear about your experience, as you mention we were undergoing a refurbishment to make sure Blakes remains to offer a unique boutique experience and deliver the high standard everyone expects.

I apologize for the noise disturbance during your stay, I am pleased to inform you that our rooms have been given a fresh look, I hope you will return to see what we have done.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I used to stay regularly at Blakes, + returned there after not having been in London for 10 years. What a disappointment. The service was offhand, the décor is now tired + dated.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank alpha69
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2014

Dear Alpha69,

Thank you for taking time to share your review of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion, I can assure you that we have listened and refurbished some roomssince your stay. I hope to tempt you to view some photos in the gallery on our website to see what we have achieved.

I hope you will consider us in future again, we would love to welcome you to Blakes. I will make sure you have a wonderful experience with us this time.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

I love Anouska Hempel's eye for design, so was hopeful that this would be a magical experience. But so much disappointed. The room was tired, cramped and at over £200 outrageously overpriced. The slim desk was badly worn and scratched, as was the bedside table. The only design features were too many pictures on the walls which made the tiny room seem even smaller, and a low-hanging lamp. One redeeming feature was the Frette linen. The bathroom was minute, with many cracked white tiles, and a dirty basin. . Honestly, this in particular was worse than student accommodation. I understand the hotel is being renovated, but even so it's difficult to see how such cramped spaces can be made comfortably habitable. The minibar was disgusting - people had peeled back the foil on tins of nuts and helped themselves, and small Pringles were £5. Not very clean - a cleaner's cupboard was open in the hallway, and I noticed a hoover that looked at least 30 years old! The restaurant is great, my kind of food, but again exorbitant.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank ZArts

Dear ZArts,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I would be grateful if you would give us another opportunity to show you how we have completed the refurbishment. We have updated some of our rooms, have changed some amenities and restocked our minibar with new, healthier options since then. I am sure you will not be disappointed and will enjoy the unique design that Blakes offers.

I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations and hope that you will consider coming to stay in Blakes in near future.